Join Early Retirement Today

Kentucky Bourbon Trail
Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kentucky Bourbon Trail

My 23 yr old son and I are looking to do the Bourbon Trail for 2 days (Wed/Thur) in September (not during the festival). Has anyone else here done this, and do you have any tips, such as which ones are best (and why?). I've done some research and mapping. My initial thought so far is to do Maker's, Heaven Hill and Jim Beam the first day (Bardstown area), and Buffalo Trace, Four Roses and Woodford Reserve the second day (Frankfort area). Buffalo Trace, though not officially on the Trail, is my favorite bourbon so that's a must-do.

Is 3 a day doable if we start first thing each day? We don't tend to be dawdlers, but would do at least some of the tours, all of the tastings(!) and sweep through the gift shops.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
My 23 yr old son and I are looking to do the Bourbon Trail for 2 days (Wed/Thur) in September (not during the festival). Has anyone else here done this, and do you have any tips, such as which ones are best (and why?). I've done some research and mapping. My initial thought so far is to do Maker's, Heaven Hill and Jim Beam the first day (Bardstown area), and Buffalo Trace, Four Roses and Woodford Reserve the second day (Frankfort area). Buffalo Trace, though not officially on the Trail, is my favorite bourbon so that's a must-do.

Is 3 a day doable if we start first thing each day? We don't tend to be dawdlers, but would do at least some of the tours, all of the tastings(!) and sweep through the gift shops.
We did Maker's, Heaven Hill and Jim Bean in one day... With teenagers in tow several years ago. And enjoyed it! We went back this June to pick up our Ambassadors Whiskey at Makers mark and enjoyed the new tasting room very much.
5j404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Never done it, though it sounds like fun. I'm going to put it on my list, right next to Malt Whisky Trail | Scotland's Malt Whisky Trail in Speyside, Scotland
Old 08-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did Jim Beam and Makers Mark with some friends on motorcycles a few years back. Makers Mark was by far the best tour. Stayed in Bardstown and enjoyed the local establishments. Spent the rest of the time riding around Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina. Nice trip and great riding.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Came back across my thread while researching my possible trip next year to Scotland. We'll do a bit of the malt whisky trail, but not the full time as I'm not a Scotch drinker.

Anyway, in case someone comes across this looking for Bourbon Trail feedback, I thought I'd update how it went. We really enjoyed it overall. We did Beam, Heaven Hill, Maker's Mark and Four Roses the first day, and Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, and Town Branch the second. You have to hustle to get to them all in 2 days, though we didn't feel rushed. It wouldn't appear to make sense to split Four Roses and Wild Turkey but we were driving by Four Roses on the way to Frankfort and just made the last tour. Sounds like a lot of drinking and driving, but you get about one shot total at each place. We took snacks and water to have between places and I felt safe driving. No lunch stops.

My favorite was probably Buffalo Trace, because I primarily drink their brands, and in the tour you go right into the labeling and packing room and can talk to the workers. The Maker's tour was very good, and you can buy and dip your own bottle in the red wax if you like. But really, there weren't any I'd avoid. Just driving the Kentucky countryside and seeing the distillery grounds was very nice. See your favorite brand, see the most convenient ones, or see them all, whatever you want.

We knew we didn't want to do 8 tours nor could we possibly have done that in 2 days, so we skipped four of them and just did the tasting and gift shop. I don't think you could do this for Makers or Town Branch but you certainly could for the others. Beam and Wild Turkey had the best selection of tastings. My son and I each had different things so we could split them and have more variety.

It's cheaper to buy bottles in local liquor stores than at the distilleries. I went a bit overboard but my liquor cabinet is kind of a hobby and display piece, and they double as trip souvenirs.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

thanks for the update. Very informative.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote