Join Early Retirement Today

Ladies' travel clothing: purchase where?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ladies' travel clothing: purchase where?

I have seen TravelSmith's website, but understand their clothing isn't made that well. So, other than Misook brand (doesn't wrinkle) which is somewhat expensive, do any of the board members know a good brand of lightweight, durable, all weather clothing that is great for travel? Next time I travel, I want to be more prepared than I have been in past years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #2

I tend to prefer wool for traveling. I can wear light weight wool anytime and I live in Phoenix. It travels like a champ! Throw in some jeans and a couple of knit tops and I am good to go. A basic wool blazer serves as a jacket or dress up with a pair of slacks. My favorite is a traditional Austin Reed, you only need 1 or 2 of them and their slacks are lined and if folded and then hung they stay looking good. That is just my opinion.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have several pieces of the JJill wearever collection . They pack like a dream and never wrinkle and they are easy to dress up or down . Chico's also makes travel clothes that are similar to the JJill items.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I love the Travel Knit from Chico's. I watch for the sales and pick up an item here and there. I have several outfits. Wears very well, packs neatly, and a dream to wash and wear. I did 25 days in Europe in September and wore each of my travel knit outfits over and over. I didn't drag half the baggage that I usually drag. In fact I just ordered a couple of new pieces of travel knit since they have some great sales going.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #5

Haven't ever worn one of these brands mentioned, but I'll look into them now. Sounds good!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually turn to microfiber garments for traveling. They don't wrinkle, wear well, look good, lightweight, can be washed easily in the sink if necessary, and are available from a lot of different sources. I've gotten some good things from TravelSmith but I think they are overpriced. I think you just need to be careful it is what you think it is.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Of all the travel clothes (which I take to mean quick drying synthetics with more pockets, vents and adjustments then street clothes and that don't take up much space in the luggage) brands I've tried, I like Royal Robbins the best for quality, suitabliity to task and value. Never seen any of their women's wear.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Chico's for sure! Great styles for travel. Not cheap, but nice stuff.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #9

I'd probably go and pick the racks at REI. I think it all depends on where you normally shop and what you like to wear. Have you checked out LL Bean?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have had no issues with Travel Smith clothing. I bought them for my Mother when she was in an up-scale nursing home... if there is any laundry that will shred garments it is a health care facility. Mom looked elegant in outfits for years in their garments.

Beyond that experience, I understand the need to try on clothing before packing for a trip. As others mentioned REI does a great job but I think of them as a 'casual' clothing retailer. Norm Thompson was bought out several years ago but before that time I found their travel offerings top notch. I think I will be burried in their raincoat.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #11

Believe it or not, I haven't looked at any of the brands any of you have mentioned. I have some work ahead of me I see....great suggestions, tho! I'm going to use them, too.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #12

I thank you all too....very good information.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #13

I think LL Bean, Land's End and Dick's Sporting Goods all have nice knits and microfibers suitable for travel.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #14

Didn't even know that at all. You people are a wealth of information--as I knew you would be. Gracias! This is very helpful...very.