Lake Superior circle route

dtbach

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are planning on taking 6 days to go around Lake Superior this summer. Starting in Bayfield, through Thunderbay, Wawa, Sault Ste Marie, and Munisign.

What are some of the "must see" stops along the way?

I’m no expert on the area. But we liked the Pictured Rocks area. Did a sunset cruise to view which was nice. Also good hiking around there

Grand Marais, MI, is a picturesque little town..........I would stop there for a bit, if I was doing the circle drive. Stop and see the Devils Logslide near there........amazing sand dunes, great views of Lake Superior:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...ok-Grand_Marais_Upper_Peninsula_Michigan.html

Also, there is a little brewpub in town that has great whitefish for lunch/dinner, if you like fresh fish. I think this is the place:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...pany-Grand_Marais_Upper_Peninsula_Michig.html

I suggest you see Tahquamenon Falls, second largest east of the Mississippi. We liked the campground just downstream. The lower falls were better than the upper, and I think easier to get to.

DW and I did this loop about 15 years ago. One of my favorite stops was Grand Portage National Monument in MN.

6 days seems like too little because there is so much to see unless you plan to be in the car a lot.
Having done parts of it I would suggest:
Apostle Islands, at least a day or two if you combine with Bayfield and Madeline Island
Duluth, the San Francisco of the north.
Copper Harbor, historic and pretty
Porcupine Mountains, loads of hiking
Isle Royale NP, very remote accessible by boat only.
Marquette, fun college town worth a night or two

A little bit off the circle, but fun to visit:
Mackinac Island

Having done parts of it I would suggest:
Apostle Islands, at least a day or two if you combine with Bayfield and Madeline Island
Duluth, the San Francisco of the north.
Copper Harbor, historic and pretty
Porcupine Mountains, loads of hiking
Isle Royale NP, very remote accessible by boat only.
Marquette, fun college town worth a night or two

A little bit off the circle, but fun to visit:
Mackinac Island

Good list, + Pictured Rocks.

You may find that 6 days is not really enough, particularly if you take the time to let yourself get lost(figurative) in the area.

Starting/looking around Duluth, driving through the Porkies and spending time in Copper Country could easily be your 6 days.

Map of Michigan WaterFalls. Some people will think that once you've seen couple you've seen them all. Some are more of rapids than falls. We've always enjoyed them and the hike that some entail to get there.

What we like about the UP, applies elsewhere in this country. If you can for a few moment in time, throw off modern day structure and let your mind/body daydream its an amazing place.

The Agawa Canyon tour train out of Sault Ste. Marie Ont. is a nice day trip, especially in September when the fall color is starting to peak. The train is in high demand at that time of year, though.

Such a beautiful area and I agree 6 days is not enough.

Such a beautiful area and I agree 6 days is not enough.

Probably not. But then we are only a 8 hour drive away from Thunderbay, Ont so can do it again easily in the future. This was just a chance to get away for 6 days and we thought we would just see the highlights.

The next time you go copper falls state park is beautiful and Hayward is fun. I spent every summer of my childhood in the cable area. Last year I took my husband to all those places from the West. Previously he had only seen Kenosha and I wanted him to see the beautiful part of Wisconsin.

The next time you go copper falls state park is beautiful and Hayward is fun. I spent every summer of my childhood in the cable area. Last year I took my husband to all those places from the West. Previously he had only seen Kenosha and I wanted him to see the beautiful part of Wisconsin.

I skied the Birkebeiner a couple times. I know Hayward/Cable well. Beautiful part of Wisconsin.

Love the Michigan UP. My son went to school up there so we ve been there in 3 seasons - never in winter.

Agree - see Tahquamenon Falls, Marquette, Presque Isle Park, Cooper Harbor, Picture Rock. We re going back in July.

Is Black Fly season over? In the '90s around Memorial Day or maybe a bit after, we drove up the lower peninsula and as we went further north started collecting them heavy on the wipers. On the UP at Whitefish Bay (visited the Museum as Gonzo mentioned) they wanted to collect us! It was baaaad!

At the locks at Sault Ste Marie, it was ok. A person I worked with back then, his father was an Engineer with the lengthening, or was it widening, of the locks years before. Our kids enjoyed a boat tour through the locks, and watching that one ore carrier go through, I'd remember it's name if mentioned, that goes back and forth through the whole season.

That trip was part of a 4,500 mile driving trip... of which the cruise control disengaged itself only 50 miles from leaving home, and would not work any more. After many hours I got used to it, like driving in the early '70s.

Thanks for all the great replies. We will definitely try to do most of these. I've already seen most of the shore from Houghton to Duluth so we are going to bypass them this year. Spent 3 days in the Apostle Island area. Will take our time from Thunderbay to Munising to see more stuff in that area.

Nice place, but wrong Great Lake for the Lake Superior Circle Tour:)

Duh! Brain Burp.

I think there was a stop on the north shore called Gooseberry Falls. We used to stop there on our way to the BWCA. Back in those days, we could climb down and sit under the waterfall. Don't know if they will allow that anymore.

Duh! Brain Burp.

I think there was a stop on the north shore called Gooseberry Falls. We used to stop there on our way to the BWCA. Back in those days, we could climb down and sit under the waterfall. Don't know if they will allow that anymore.

There's a falls like that at Pictured Rocks -- Munising Falls, I think.

When I was a kid, before Pictured Rocks became a national lakeshore, the Miner's Castle area was in a county park with no real limits on where you could go. We used to climb out onto the rocks all the time.

Back
Top Bottom