last minute trip to nyc, where to stay?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
im gonna shoot up to nyc to visit some friends. i want to stay outside of the city within a train ride . i was thinking elizabeth nj? been there before...not willing to spend 300/night in manhatten lol

ideas?

im gonna shoot up to nyc to visit some friends. i want to stay outside of the city within a train ride . i was thinking elizabeth nj? been there before...not willing to spend 300/night in manhatten lol

ideas?

Do Priceline ! I usually snag a nice Manhattan hotel for under $150.

Look into hotels in the Long Island City area. The rates are competitive and it's a one stop/10 minute train ride to midtown Manhattan.

I would look for a hotel in Jersey City, especially near Exchange Place. Easy trip over to Manhattan on the PATH train, or if you are feeling like the scenic route you could take the ferry.

When in nyc, I like to stay in fairfield by marriott in east rutherford, nj.
Its on patterson plank rd, about 3 miles from lincoln tunnel. Easy parking, in and out, free brkfast.
Bus stops out front in am, every 15 minutes and takes you directly to port authority. $5.
Last time I was there it as $139
Search marriott.com, put in teterboro as your airport/city, takes you rt to that place.
couple of chain restaurants, liquor store and gas station closeby.
Lots of salesmen stay there.

I would definitely second finding a hotel in Long Island City. They've got a bunch of new hotels over there that are just dying to get people to come. You can probably get a good deal.

Also, try Groupon, Lifebooker, or some of those other discount websites. They have hotel deals often.

I'd take at least one shot at staying IN NYC in one of the nicer older hotels. It's been 10 years, but I've stayed at the Hotel Edison (maybe 8th and 47th??) a few times. Old but decent. Leaf through a copy of one of the NYC books to get an idea of what you might find plus direct phone numbers. You might get lucky. Ask for their rate, then ask what discounts they have (e.g., Corp. rate, etc. AAA, AARP). If that fails, go on-line. Not always, but sometimes you'll find a "bargain". I hate staying outside and dealing with the commute - but that's just me. The commute WILL most likely save you some money, but your time is worth what:confused: (At my age, it's getting more valuable:cool:)

we ended up at they wyndham Newark Airport (Elizabeth NJ) and it took abotu 35-45 mins each day to get in and back to the tune of 60 for two of us round trip if in a hurry (taxi to Penn station, PATH into city) or only $8 if we wanted the trip to takke about an hour (free shuttle to airport, PATH back).

Wish we had stayed in Manhatten, but the commute was interesting. Gave my traveling partner a good idea of city life lol

Back
Top Bottom