Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Last Train ticket purchased - my trip is ready to go.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
Moderator
rodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,268
Last Train ticket purchased - my trip is ready to go.

I've posted that we're going on a "trip of a lifetime" - 9 weeks, 7 countries, 11 cities in Europe - all travel other than too/from is by train. We are renting a car for one week - just so we can explore the area around Aix-en-Provence a bit more.

Today I booked the last of the train legs. I got thwarted a bit by some planned "engineering work" routing 2 of the train legs in less direct, more expensive routes... but so be it. All apartments are booked, all train tickets are purchased, airfare is purchased, kids new passports have arrived, car rental is booked, and it's 2/3's paid for in advance.

Several of the train legs the kids (ages 12 and 14) are travelling for half price - and 2 legs they travel for FREE!!!! (I love free!)

I've got my chip and pin credit card. My lightweight luggage (we're doing carry on and daypacks - traveling light.) And my 2 semesters (almost) of college Italian. (I finish the 2nd semester 2 weeks before we leave).

Best of all - it's coming in on budget. (Thank you falling Euro!!!) 4 people travelling is not cheap -but this truly will be a trip of a lifetime.

Now comes the hard part... waiting for the trip.

I'm so excited.
__________________

__________________
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
micro pensions 7%, rental income 18%
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,578
It sounds like it will be a fun adventure!
__________________

__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:55 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I've posted that we're going on a "trip of a lifetime" - 9 weeks, 7 countries, 11 cities in Europe - all travel other than too/from is by train. We are renting a car for one week - just so we can explore the area around Aix-en-Provence a bit more.

Today I booked the last of the train legs. I got thwarted a bit by some planned "engineering work" routing 2 of the train legs in less direct, more expensive routes... but so be it. All apartments are booked, all train tickets are purchased, airfare is purchased, kids new passports have arrived, car rental is booked, and it's 2/3's paid for in advance.

Several of the train legs the kids (ages 12 and 14) are travelling for half price - and 2 legs they travel for FREE!!!! (I love free!)

I've got my chip and pin credit card. My lightweight luggage (we're doing carry on and daypacks - traveling light.) And my 2 semesters (almost) of college Italian. (I finish the 2nd semester 2 weeks before we leave).

Best of all - it's coming in on budget. (Thank you falling Euro!!!) 4 people travelling is not cheap -but this truly will be a trip of a lifetime.

Now comes the hard part... waiting for the trip.

I'm so excited.
Sounds fun! Have a Great time! Splurge a little
RothReady2Retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,952
Now that is what I call a trip! Have a fun time, Rodi!
__________________
The wilderness is calling and I must go.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:41 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 17,874
Wow, that sounds like quite a trip. We spent 3 weeks in Europe about 5 years ago traveling mostly by train but using cheap flights for some of the longer legs. It was wonderful.

We also traveled light, we each had just one rollerbag that was small enough to fit in overhead bins and a backpack.

I had read somewhere that Venice (which we visited) was planning to ban roller bags but I guess that they reconsidered that bad idea.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
Moderator
rodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Wow, that sounds like quite a trip. We spent 3 weeks in Europe about 5 years ago traveling mostly by train but using cheap flights for some of the longer legs. It was wonderful.

We also traveled light, we each had just one rollerbag that was small enough to fit in overhead bins and a backpack.

I had read somewhere that Venice (which we visited) was planning to ban roller bags but I guess that they reconsidered that bad idea.
I'm sure the water-taxi union would have loved that - since Venice relies on tourism and most folks walk/take vaporettos to get too/from their accommodations.... A ban on rollers would have discouraged folks from using the public vaporetto system because it might be a longer haul from the stop, than from where a water taxi could drop them.
__________________
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
micro pensions 7%, rental income 18%
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 17,874
Yes, I don't know what they were thinking. While I love Venice, if I had to carry my suitcase and was prohibited from rolling it I think I would just skip Venice and go elsewhere.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
Administrator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 22,047
Rodi, that sounds like a wonderful trip you have planned.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,296
What memories you are making with your children ! Enjoy !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,730
Have fun! Please post photos of scenery, and particularly of the food.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,607
Sounds wonderful! Will love hearing all about it.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #12
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 17,405
Truly a trip of a lifetime!
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 392
Ah this sounds so great! Have a wonderful time.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,894
I am envious.

Enjoy!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Posts: 1,017
Have fun and take your time to enjoy the small things.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 179
Rodi, would you be willing to share your itinerary so that those of us stuck in off*ces can live vicariously through you? It sounds like an amazing trip. Bon voyage.
Davis65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
outdoorgirl02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 258
This is going to be such an incredible trip. You will have to give us a full recap when you get back.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #18
Moderator
rodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
Rodi, would you be willing to share your itinerary so that those of us stuck in off*ces can live vicariously through you? It sounds like an amazing trip. Bon voyage.
Fly into Catania and head north to Riposto. 3 of my husband's grandparents were born in Riposto and the 4th was born in Giarre, the neighboring town. We'll spend a week there visiting family.

From there we take an overnight train to Bologna for a few days then up to Venice. That's it for Italy.

From Venice we take an overnight train to Prague for a few days then finish the week in Berlin.

After that we have a week in Amsterdam, then a week in London.

Then we spend a week in Paris, a week in Nice, and wrapping up our France section with a week in Aix-en-Provence.

We wrap up the trip with a week in Barcelona.

All travel is by train. We are renting a car in Aix, but otherwise using public transit and trains for our day trips and exploring.
__________________

__________________
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
micro pensions 7%, rental income 18%
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
News: Rydex purchased Olav23 FIRE and Money 0 07-06-2007 03:11 PM
CPI vs. Items purchased Cut-Throat FIRE and Money 38 11-29-2006 06:19 PM
Re: Things purchased that were truly useful wabmester Other topics 47 03-21-2006 04:03 PM
My train trip to Chiang Mai a la Woody Allenesque MJ Life after FIRE 9 12-03-2005 08:52 PM
See @ Last, See @ Last, Thank God I Can See @ Last Beachbumz Other topics 24 02-18-2005 07:16 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:28 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.