Last Train ticket purchased - my trip is ready to go.

rodi

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I've posted that we're going on a "trip of a lifetime" - 9 weeks, 7 countries, 11 cities in Europe - all travel other than too/from is by train. We are renting a car for one week - just so we can explore the area around Aix-en-Provence a bit more.

Today I booked the last of the train legs. I got thwarted a bit by some planned "engineering work" routing 2 of the train legs in less direct, more expensive routes... but so be it. All apartments are booked, all train tickets are purchased, airfare is purchased, kids new passports have arrived, car rental is booked, and it's 2/3's paid for in advance.

Several of the train legs the kids (ages 12 and 14) are travelling for half price - and 2 legs they travel for FREE!!!! (I love free!)

I've got my chip and pin credit card. My lightweight luggage (we're doing carry on and daypacks - traveling light.) And my 2 semesters (almost) of college Italian. (I finish the 2nd semester 2 weeks before we leave).

Best of all - it's coming in on budget. (Thank you falling Euro!!!) 4 people travelling is not cheap -but this truly will be a trip of a lifetime.

Now comes the hard part... waiting for the trip.

I'm so excited.

I've posted that we're going on a "trip of a lifetime" - 9 weeks, 7 countries, 11 cities in Europe - all travel other than too/from is by train. We are renting a car for one week - just so we can explore the area around Aix-en-Provence a bit more.

Today I booked the last of the train legs. I got thwarted a bit by some planned "engineering work" routing 2 of the train legs in less direct, more expensive routes... but so be it. All apartments are booked, all train tickets are purchased, airfare is purchased, kids new passports have arrived, car rental is booked, and it's 2/3's paid for in advance.

Several of the train legs the kids (ages 12 and 14) are travelling for half price - and 2 legs they travel for FREE!!!! (I love free!)

I've got my chip and pin credit card. My lightweight luggage (we're doing carry on and daypacks - traveling light.) And my 2 semesters (almost) of college Italian. (I finish the 2nd semester 2 weeks before we leave).

Best of all - it's coming in on budget. (Thank you falling Euro!!!) 4 people travelling is not cheap -but this truly will be a trip of a lifetime.

Now comes the hard part... waiting for the trip.

I'm so excited.

Sounds fun! Have a Great time! Splurge a little :)

Wow, that sounds like quite a trip. We spent 3 weeks in Europe about 5 years ago traveling mostly by train but using cheap flights for some of the longer legs. It was wonderful.

We also traveled light, we each had just one rollerbag that was small enough to fit in overhead bins and a backpack.

I had read somewhere that Venice (which we visited) was planning to ban roller bags but I guess that they reconsidered that bad idea.

Wow, that sounds like quite a trip. We spent 3 weeks in Europe about 5 years ago traveling mostly by train but using cheap flights for some of the longer legs. It was wonderful.

We also traveled light, we each had just one rollerbag that was small enough to fit in overhead bins and a backpack.

I had read somewhere that Venice (which we visited) was planning to ban roller bags but I guess that they reconsidered that bad idea.

I'm sure the water-taxi union would have loved that - since Venice relies on tourism and most folks walk/take vaporettos to get too/from their accommodations.... A ban on rollers would have discouraged folks from using the public vaporetto system because it might be a longer haul from the stop, than from where a water taxi could drop them.

Yes, I don't know what they were thinking. While I love Venice, if I had to carry my suitcase and was prohibited from rolling it I think I would just skip Venice and go elsewhere.

Rodi, that sounds like a wonderful trip you have planned.

Have fun! Please post photos of scenery, and particularly of the food.

Sounds wonderful! Will love hearing all about it.

I am envious.

Enjoy!

Rodi, would you be willing to share your itinerary so that those of us stuck in off*ces can live vicariously through you? It sounds like an amazing trip. Bon voyage.

This is going to be such an incredible trip. You will have to give us a full recap when you get back.

Rodi, would you be willing to share your itinerary so that those of us stuck in off*ces can live vicariously through you? It sounds like an amazing trip. Bon voyage.

Fly into Catania and head north to Riposto. 3 of my husband's grandparents were born in Riposto and the 4th was born in Giarre, the neighboring town. We'll spend a week there visiting family.

From there we take an overnight train to Bologna for a few days then up to Venice. That's it for Italy.

From Venice we take an overnight train to Prague for a few days then finish the week in Berlin.

After that we have a week in Amsterdam, then a week in London.

Then we spend a week in Paris, a week in Nice, and wrapping up our France section with a week in Aix-en-Provence.

We wrap up the trip with a week in Barcelona.

All travel is by train. We are renting a car in Aix, but otherwise using public transit and trains for our day trips and exploring.

Back
Top Bottom