Join Early Retirement Today

Laura Dekker~Welcome home
Old 01-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Laura Dekker~Welcome home

When we were just about to transit the Panama Canal last March, the Captain of the ms Statendam pointed out (over the PA system) that the small sailboat off the port side heading westerly (we were heading easterly) was skippered by a 16YO girl named Laura Dekker who was headed around the world. Glad to see she made it home. Wonder what she will do for excitement the rest of her life?

Quote:
Dutch teen Laura Dekker on Saturday became the youngest sailor to complete a solo circumnavigation of the world, a year after going to court for the right to make the attempt.

The 16-year-old completed her solo round-the-world journey when she sailed into harbour on the Caribbean island of Sint Maarten at 3:00 pm (1900 GMT). Dekker, who left the island nearly a year ago to the day -- January 20, 2011 -- beat the previous record by some eight months.

As she turns 17 on September 20, she had to complete her journey before September 16 to beat the record for the youngest sailor to make an unassisted world tour.
Dutch teen sailor completes solo world tour

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Wonder what she will do for excitement the rest of her life?
I would find it extremely difficult to sit on my butt in a classroom listening to some old phart telling me how the world works.

I hope she saves the money she gets from interviews, books, movies, and endorsements. But she'll probably be in high demand to move sailing vessels from one location to another for their owners.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I would find it extremely difficult to sit on my butt in a classroom listening to some old phart telling me how the world works.

I hope she saves the money she gets from interviews, books, movies, and endorsements. But she'll probably be in high demand to move sailing vessels from one location to another for their owners.
I have to admit that I thought you were being a bit harsh on the sailing wunderkind. But you nailed it.

My inclination was to think that this sort was likely to go on to bigger and greater challenges. Sail around the world as a teen -college, business, and all that should just be another challenge. Or so I thought.

Googling and Wiki'ing proved me mistook.

While many of them are still young, the youth solo navigators line goes all the way back to Robin Graham in the 1960s, and none of them have done much of anything since their trips. A few wrote books about their trips, or give speeches about their trips, and other than a whole lot of sailing there is no mention of much of anything they accomplished.

One shot and done - the lot of them. Seems strange, but it's apparently the nature of them.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have not really followed this story, just read the headlines that she made it home , but I find the story both amazing and hard to relate to.

I have a daughter the same age as this girl and cannot, in a million years, ever have imagined allowing my daughter to do what this girl has done.

I can't quite figure if Ms. Dekker has the best parents in the world, or the worst.

As for her, job well done, and the adventure will probably serve her well in life. WOW.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
gone traveling

I wonder what the rest of her bucket list looks like ?...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

16 is perhaps too young to make a rational decision to do something like this. The Guinness BOWR doesn't recognize this record so as not encourage similar efforts by kids too young.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #7

She made it home safely, so everybody is a hero. Had she met a premature demise, she would be too immature for such an adventures, and her parents would be bums for letting her go on such a dangerious journey.

Always do your own due diligence, I make a lot of mistakes.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
She made it home safely, so everybody is a hero. Had she met a premature demise, she would be too immature for such an adventures, and her parents would be bums for letting her go on such a dangerious journey.
A microcosm of human existence?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Remember this?

PESCADERO, Calif., April 15— Strangers gathered with family and friends today under gray skies to remember Jessica Dubroff, the 7-year-old pilot who died trying to become the youngest person to fly across the United States.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

This is a great book:

Amazon.com: Maiden Voyage (9780345410122): Tania Aebi, Bernadette Brennan: Books

Tania Aebi was then the youngest woman to sail alone around the world, but there was some dispute because she gave someone a ride on a short stretch. She had almost no sailing experience, and there was no GPS then.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This is a great book:

Amazon.com: Maiden Voyage (9780345410122): Tania Aebi, Bernadette Brennan: Books

Tania Aebi was then the youngest woman to sail alone around the world, but there was some dispute because she gave someone a ride on a short stretch. She had almost no sailing experience, and there was no GPS then.
This is culled from one reviewer on Amazon. It exactly matches my response, on reading the blurb about this stunt.

"I also found that I was truly infuriated at her father who should have been arrested for intent to commit manslaughter. Apparently Ernst Aebi believed that a solo circumnavigation was just the ticket toward giving his daughter a focus in life, and so he practically shanghaied her into making the trip even though Tania could barely motor "Varuna" out into the Narrows the day she left. Not that Ernst was any better. "Varuna" set sail with all manner of design flaws (weak chainplates, a bad engine, and a water-scooping hawsepipe, any one of which might have sunk her in sight of the Brooklyn Bridge). The man was so driven to send his daughter out to fulfill HIS dreams that he (and they) seemed to have spent no time at all on evaluating the boat for its intended purpose. Given Tania's lack of sailing skills and her lack of familarity with "Varuna," the thing was a deathtrap for her. Miraculously, she lived to tell about it."

Ha
Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, apparently I remembered everything but her name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
16 is perhaps too young to make a rational decision to do something like this.
There, Al, I fixed it for you...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote