Join Early Retirement Today

LAX kiosk machine printed a big X on my printout
Old 09-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

LAX kiosk machine printed a big X on my printout

Yesterday, we landed in LAX and went thru kiosk machine for our family of 4. My paper printout shows a big X on it. I did not know what that means. The border custom lady stamped all 4 papers, without asking us any questions.

So, big X means the head of the family?
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #2

If you are global entry, the X indicates need for secondary screening, which the agent apparently didn't worry about.

https://www.cbp.gov/faqs/what-do-i-d...ceipt-marked-x
Old 09-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have Global Entry, and at least three times, received the big 'X' on the kiosk generated form. Then I was directed to the agent who handles the big 'X' forms (you do not have to get on the long line as if you failed). He looks at the form, and shrugs his shoulders (each time) and says it might be the finger print scan, or something similar; welcomes me home and I'm on my way. It never slowed me down at all.

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
... Then I was directed to the agent who handles the big 'X' forms (you do not have to get on the long line as if you failed). ... It never slowed me down at all.

Rich
Yeah, it is nice that in the event of an X (which also can be randomly assigned), you go right to the front of the line or to an assigned agent.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice! Can I bring a felt-tipped pen and make the X myself?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Nice! Can I bring a felt-tipped pen and make the X myself?
When I wrote "not a bomb" on my oscilloscope, they were not amused.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I get the X every time I come back from traveling overseas by myself. I usually get quizzed at length and the agent usually types a lot of stuff into their computer.

Vacation or business? Vacation

Why did you travel to X? Because it was a cheap fare and I've never been there.

Why are you traveling alone? Because my friends and family either don't have as much money to spend on vacation as me, don't have as much vacation time as me, or didn't want to go to X.

What do you do for a living? I'm a lead system expert.

Etc.
Johanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #8

I think it's probably related to the fingerprint scan. I'm Global Entry, and out of the last 10 times I've used the kiosk coming back from Europe, I've only received the X once. I noticed that the scanner indicated good matches on only two of my fingers, so that was probably it. Most of the time I get a good match on all. I make it a point to rub my fingertips vigorously against my clothing for a few seconds before approaching the kiosk, just to make sure I have clean dry prints.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanson View Post
I get the X every time I come back from traveling overseas by myself. I usually get quizzed at length and the agent usually types a lot of stuff into their computer.

Vacation or business? Vacation

Why did you travel to X? Because it was a cheap fare and I've never been there.

Why are you traveling alone? Because my friends and family either don't have as much money to spend on vacation as me, don't have as much vacation time as me, or didn't want to go to X.

What do you do for a living? I'm a lead system expert.

Etc.
Yep, nothing like pissing off the border agents by showing them how good life could be.
They probably check a box at the end that says: "Give X on next trip"
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote