Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
If you want to speak and understand German a little better, you can try "easy German" videos.
Nice idea, thanks. I had no idea there was such a thing, but found it on YouTube.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wohoo! I finished the Dutch Duolingo tree! It was quite long as it morphed during my use and doubled in size. Got to some pretty complex grammar too. I also managed to get all the skills “Golden” as I finished which took a lot of extra work. My longest streak was 344 days.

I also had to take some grammar courses to supplement Duolingo as it is weak on that point. I’m half way through the second one.

But it’s really just a foundation. I still don’t understand much of what I read on Dutch websites and my listening comprehension is pretty bad. But now I can focus more on those areas instead of constantly doing “exercises”.

My main goal with Dutch was to understand what my SIL and nephews say in Dutch. It’s coming slowly....

BTW I also loaded in the Spanish Duolingo tree today and I tested out of all but the final 6 skills! With no “prep”.

I’m also training my ear for Spanish as spoken in Spain by watching some of the Spain produced series on Netflix. Several excellent ones.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #103
gone traveling

Huge fan of https://www.memrise.com
I upgraded to Pro.
I spent 170 hours learning Portugûes.
Now learning Euskara and Català.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:59 AM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Huge fan of https://www.memrise.com
I upgraded to Pro.
I spent 170 hours learning Portugûes.
Now learning Euskara and Català.
Cool- thanks for the link. We are deciding between Warsaw/Krakow and Prague and this might come in handy. I dislike travelling without knowing ANY of the language. Any thoughts on those two locations?
Old 04-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #105

I can tell you that Polish and Czech are both very difficult languages. If I were you I would just get a good phrase book rather than try to learn the language.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I can tell you that Polish and Czech are both very difficult languages. If I were you I would just get a good phrase book rather than try to learn the language.
+1

Still recall attempting to say "Good Morning" to a guy in the apartment building we stayed at in Prague.

French/Spanish/Italian it ain't.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #107

The best way to learn languages is by total immersion. My in-laws don't speak English at all. My father-in-law speaks French only. My mother-in-law speaks French and Swiss German. My wife, like many in Switzerland, speaks English, French, German, and Italian fluently. I had to learn or become anti-social. After 27 years, I became fluent in French, German, and Italian. Both my wife and I can get by in Spanish. We just speak Italian. You can't assume everyone in small villages in Europe can communicate in English. They just don't. Knowing multiple languages certainly helped us in our careers. My wife was a registered nurse at a major hospital in Los Angeles and frequently communicated with patients in German and French. When I was working, I would often take month long long business trips to Italy and work with our EU customers. Knowing Italian and German not only helped at work, but also during social events after work. I have met many young Americans who are studying in Switzerland, its amazing to see how they have mstered multiple languages at such a young age. But then again, they told me it helps them pick up girls at bars.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
BTW I also loaded in the Spanish Duolingo tree today and I tested out of all but the final 6 skills! With no “prep”.

I’m also training my ear for Spanish as spoken in Spain by watching some of the Spain produced series on Netflix. Several excellent ones.
I'm using Duolingo to learn some basic Spanish in preparation for an upcoming trip to Spain, and your comment made me wonder if Duolingo's Spanish is more Latin American (Castellano) or more European Spanish (Español). Any thoughts on that? Is Duolingo a good way to lean basic español as spoken/heard in Spain?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

To my ear, Duolingo's pronunciation sounds *nothing* like the speech of Central American tradespeople who work on our house. I suspect it's very proper Spanish from Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I'm using Duolingo to learn some basic Spanish in preparation for an upcoming trip to Spain, and your comment made me wonder if Duolingo's Spanish is more Latin American (Castellano) or more European Spanish (Español). Any thoughts on that? Is Duolingo a good way to lean basic español as spoken/heard in Spain?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
First of all - it is all Castellano, as Spain’s main official Español is Castellano, as well as being used all over Latin America.

I haven’t noticed Duolingo cover the “vosotros” 2nd person plural familiar case which is only used in Spain. So maybe it is a bit more oriented for Latin America.

Oh yeah, and it’s not using the Spanish “lisp”.

Whatever - it will be just fine for Spain. The main differences are quite subtle and mostly the pronunciation of soft “c” and “z” which are pronounced as S in Latin America and what sounds like a lisp (th) in Spain. You’ll notice the difference immediately just with the word Gracias. It’s still more uniform than the difference between UK and USA English because all vowels are pronounced that same and the same syllables are stressed on both side of the hemisphere. There are no spelling differences at all.

I just take my Mexican accent over to Spain and I’m perfectly understood.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
To my ear, Duolingo's pronunciation sounds *nothing* like the speech of Central American tradespeople who work on our house. I suspect it's very proper Spanish from Spain.
No, it’s Latin American pronunciation. There are no “th” sounds.

LOL! It took me a while to remember because I tend to gloss over that these days. I’ve been watching a lot of Spain produced series on Netflix and am used to hearing both accents so I tend not to pay attention to the subtle differences.

Business people from Latin American will speak a much more educated sounding Spanish than tradespeople who perhaps haven’t had much education or only learned Spanish at home and not in school. So you won’t hear this educated Spanish unless you converse with someone in a professional class such as a doctor or someone on a business trip in the US.

There are regional differences as well, but nothing I’ve heard from Duolingo sounds odd, but rather generic Latin American, apart from the automated voices.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wohoo! I finished the Dutch Duolingo tree! It was quite long as it morphed during my use and doubled in size. Got to some pretty complex grammar too. I also managed to get all the skills “Golden” as I finished which took a lot of extra work. My longest streak was 344 days.

I also had to take some grammar courses to supplement Duolingo as it is weak on that point. I’m half way through the second one.
Congrats, that is quite an accomplishment.

I wish I had the stick too it drive that you do. But alas, I'll be lucky if I keep my English up.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Congrats, that is quite an accomplishment.

I wish I had the stick too it drive that you do. But alas, I'll be lucky if I keep my English up.
We'll be visiting Amsterdam again soon, so I was motivated to finish it before hand. It hasn't been easy, as this the first Germanic language that I have really tried to learn, and even though it's much closer to English than the others, it is still hard.

We have so many loanwords from Latin and French in English - especially for the more complex words - that Spanish is easier for me and I quickly grasp the other romance languages. Verb order is the same too.

Dutch was more of a struggle. I have simply no reference for words like, for example, ingewikkeld (complicated) - while in Spanish it's complicado - way easier to remember for an English speaker LOL!

At least I can actually pronounce ingewikkeld now - well close anyway.

I read this thread earlier and was laughing again about unintentionally confusing you over Dutch versus German. I was just so excited about being able to say it in Dutch at the time!
Old 04-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #114
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

But it’s really just a foundation
Congratulations!

I’m a fan of Duolingo, Pimsleur, and the Coffee Break podcast series from Radio Lingua. From what I have learned you need a vocabulary of somewhere around 6,000 words to be conversationally proficient. Each installment of Pimsleur is about 500 words. I think the Duolingo trees are each somewhere around 3,000 words. The Coffee Break series will give you a good grammar foundation as well. Nothing however will accelerate your learning more than speaking, reading and writing on a daily basis.

I’ve completed the Spanish tree in Duolingo and have done some work with French and Italian too, although I’m concerned learning any Italian will potentially mess up my Spanish...
Old 04-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

I finished the Italian tree on Duolingo. Now I am going back over it to reinforce what I have learned and forgotten. I have no delusions about being anywhere near fluent, but I can read some basic things, have a very simple tourist type conversation, and exchange pleasantries. It's a heck of a lot better than not knowing anything at all. And it does impress my American friends who think grazie is pronounced gratzee.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Boy, you guys are impressive......I know a few random, totally unrelated, words in a couple languages, but overall I'm barely coherent in English.

Kudos.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Learning Languages for Leisure Travel
Old 04-02-2018, 07:03 PM   #117

Learning Languages for Leisure Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I finished the Italian tree on Duolingo. Now I am going back over it to reinforce what I have learned and forgotten. I have no delusions about being anywhere near fluent, but I can read some basic things, have a very simple tourist type conversation, and exchange pleasantries. It's a heck of a lot better than not knowing anything at all. And it does impress my American friends who think grazie is pronounced gratzee.

From what I have read fluent means anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000 words depending upon the language.

I basically want to be able to have a discussion with a native about everyday things. If you’re familiar with the CEFR scale used in Europe I’m attempting to get to B2. Currently I’m at B1 in Spanish. My next goal is B2 in French...
Old 04-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #118

I have learned the basics in Italian, can converse a little in Spanish and speak French pretty well. For Czech or Polish, it'll just have to be please, thank you and where is the bathroom, I'm sure. I love the "behind the wheel" series, but don't even know if that's available in Polish...
Old 04-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
From what I have read fluent means anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000 words depending upon the language.

I basically want to be able to have a discussion with a native about everyday things. If you’re familiar with the CEFR scale used in Europe I’m attempting to get to B2. Currently I’m at B1 in Spanish. My next goal is B2 in French...
How do you test yourself to see where you are? I am interested in doing this. I was an exchange student in France (a million years ago) and was fluent then. I lost a lot of it, but some of it came back during a 10 day trip several years ago. would be interested in knowing how much I have retained. Please send details.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
How do you test yourself to see where you are? I am interested in doing this. I was an exchange student in France (a million years ago) and was fluent then. I lost a lot of it, but some of it came back during a 10 day trip several years ago. would be interested in knowing how much I have retained. Please send details.

For Spanish there is a website called Spanish-test.net. Not sure if there is a French equivalent...