Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

I can retire next month but my union rep is saying stick it out till the fall because of possible buyouts with new contract and to take vacation for the summer, i have 7 weeks coming and living in canada want to explore someplace warm to stay in the winter has anyone been to the island of dominica? there are lots of places I would love to see in south america but seems like the drug trafficking has made it to violent for my taste
Tutashen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
If you “go naked” of a U.S. based health insurance policy, you can purchase (foreign) local health care services as needed out of pocket or sign up for international insurance to cover your long term stay in foreign countries. If you are living outside the States and want to visit the U.S., you can cover yourself through travel insurance utilizing your foreign address as your home address to get the reasonable price. You can have this travel insurance cover a week, or months or even a year at a time, depending on the company.

Of course, “going naked” can be frightening at first.
Hi again, Akaisha,

I read that Billy is OK. Whew!

I am concerned about the age limitations in health insurance outside the US, even travel insurance, that are popping up, as NYEXPAT noted. We are almost 65 and exclusions start at 60 many places. I understand that good care can be purchased inexpensively out-of-pocket, but a catastrophe could still bankrupt us. Is naked the only option for us old fogies?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Is naked the only option for us old fogies?
Now there's a visual for ya!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Has anyone recently done a 2-3 month rental in central Paris?

I've looked at VRBO and am finding $2200 for tiny studios to $3000 for one bedroom small, in Arr. 1 & 2.
We were looking for a shorter period like ~2 weeks but the best deals seemed to be for 4 adults in an apartment. So maybe best for 2 compatible couples. I think occasionally a new listing will pop up and be grabbed if it's really a good price.

We would up just staying in a hotel in the Rue Cler for 115 Euros/night.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
For a long trip of 1-3 months, my medical insurance will cover expenses incurred out of the country. I have also signed up for a emergency medical air evacuation service, in the event of serious illness. They will take me to any hospital in the USA>
What kind of policy and with which company did you get this evacuation coverage?

Typically, medical evacuation is with travel insurance policies.

There are a number of countries which offer retirement visas. Otherwise, in the Schengen countries, you can stay only for 90 days out of a 180-day period. So you finish one 90-day stint, you can't return until 90 days have passed.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Hi again, Akaisha,

I read that Billy is OK. Whew!

I am concerned about the age limitations in health insurance outside the US, even travel insurance, that are popping up, as NYEXPAT noted. We are almost 65 and exclusions start at 60 many places. I understand that good care can be purchased inexpensively out-of-pocket, but a catastrophe could still bankrupt us. Is naked the only option for us old fogies?
Hi Ed,
Thanks again for your kindness towards Billy. Yup, he’s doing well, thank God, and back to being ornery.

World Nomads offers travel insurance with several different underwriters. Depending on who is underwriting your trip, there can be an age limit of up to 67 (I believe I have seen up to 70 but I’m not sure.) And yes, there are some insurances in foreign countries that aren’t available to us as we age.

I know it’s nerve wracking to consider the idea of “going naked” in regards to health insurance policies, but in many cases, the place that a catastrophe would actually hurt you financially would be in the States. One can receive good, solid, or reasonable care in many countries for something catastrophic, and the out of pocket is still manageable – being low tens of thousands instead of hundreds of thousands. (For instance a friend of ours suffered a motorcycle accident, had his face sewn back on and was in a body cast in the Guatemala City Centro Medico hospital for over a month. Cost was still under $20kUSD)

For travel insurance your rate depends on

**if you are an Expat full time,

**are a US resident and are covered with a plan “back home” while you travel,

**or if you are an Expat and travel to the States and your travel policy covers you there,

**or are an Expat and then you travel outside your new home country.

OTOH, if you are currently paying $6k to $36k (or more) annually for health insurance in the States for you and your spouse, if you choose to “go naked” you can save that money yearly and put it aside for exactly that catastrophic medical purpose. (We have friends who are carrying a full insurance policy that covers them worldwide. Their greatest fear is having cancer since it runs in both families. They pay $36k annually and are very comfortable with that.)

We hear from our Readers how some of them pay large amounts monthly (2k monthly for husband for heart condition + spouse’s coverage) or cannot be covered because of a diagnosis or condition they had 10 years prior. The money that they would normally spend on those policies, if put aside, would add up quickly. For the man with the heart condition, in just over 4 years, he would save close to $100k to cover his medical costs if he lived outside the States. (Inside the States, all bets are off.)

Often meds overseas are not the same price as they are in the States, so you would also save there.

I know it’s a lot to think about, and basically you need to decide where you would like to live in order to figure out the health insurance part of the equation. But there are lots of options, once that door is open.

In my opinion, Fear is the biggest thing to manage. That and the idea of “making a mistake.”

People in the U.S. are often willing to be held hostage to that one piece of their retirement puzzle. These decisions are very personal and no “one size fits all” answer is available.

I hope you find my perspective helpful.

Best,
Akaisha
Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post

I hope you find my perspective helpful.

Best,
Akaisha
Always, Akaisha!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes I have been contemplating living 6 months abroad when I fully FIRE. About 3 months in Central America and 3 months in Western Europe, where I have a condo. Will keep you updated as I plan to be part of this community for a long time Have you looked at IMG for your healthcare ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Now that ER is within a few months, I am seriously considering living abroad for a few months at a time. Perhaps, 2-3 months in a smaller town in Italy, or Germany, or maybe Eastern Europe??
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

IMG?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
IMG?
International Medical Group for travel insurance.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Thank you, such a nondescript acronym.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #52

Hello Alan - it is my understanding IMG also offers long term medical coverage worldwide (not only travel insurance) for those who spend 6 months abroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
International Medical Group for travel insurance.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you, such a nondescript acronym.
Google is your friend (I had never heard of that particlar TLA either)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Hello Alan - it is my understanding IMG also offers long term medical coverage worldwide (not only travel insurance) for those who spend 6 months abroad.
Thanks for the follow-up. (I didn't read all the weblink in depth, just trying to find out what IMG stood for.)

It looks like a good resource to explore for long term international stays. Do you have personal experience with the company on your long trips?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

So what would you do, if you're not under Medicare, you'd drop whatever personal insurance you have and get one of these travel international policies for the months you're abroad?

Problem is it's not so easy to go in and out of insurance coverage in this country with issues about preexisting conditions and so forth. If you're grandfathered into a policy and you develop a chronic condition, you don't want to drop the policy for the times when you're out of the country.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
So what would you do, if you're not under Medicare, you'd drop whatever personal insurance you have and get one of these travel international policies for the months you're abroad?

Problem is it's not so easy to go in and out of insurance coverage in this country with issues about preexisting conditions and so forth. If you're grandfathered into a policy and you develop a chronic condition, you don't want to drop the policy for the times when you're out of the country.
When we lived in the UK last year for 7 months I'm sure we could have bought much cheaper insurance, but there was no way I was going to risk dropping my US insurance during that period.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having moved back and forth between the U.S. and Mexico a couple of times in the past few years I'll say that while you certainly don't want to drop U.S. coverage if you have pre-existing conditions that would cause you to be denied coverage down the road, there's certainly no problem with dropping and re-applying otherwise, at least in our limited experience.

World Nomads has already been mentioned and we as well as several friends who've done really extensive way "off the grid" travel (e.g. backpacking for weeks in Borneo, river rafting in Ethiopia) for up to a year at a time have been very happy with their coverages and costs.

From an expat point of view the truly scary prospect isn't "going naked" in Mexico or wherever, but the prospect of returning to the U.S. where costs truly could wipe you out. Pretty much all of the travel policies for expats have two prices: one for "worldwide excluding U.S." which is reasonable, and another much higher price that includes U.S. coverage. Just f.y.i.
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I would never drop my US insurance or exchange it for something like traveler's insurance that may not be guaranteed renewable or cover me for long-term chronic illness. As a US citizen, expensive health insurance is just part of my reality. One that I have to plan for and can't avoid.

With a US policy, I don't feel the need to get secondary travel insurance. I self insure most things anyways because I have a high-deductible policy. I'm really not worried about one-time medical bills of four or even five figures. I have insurance to cover bills in the six and seven figures. And those kind of bills I'll only face in the one place where I absolutely would never "go naked."
Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #58

Hello Alan - have you actually read IMG schedule of benefits? It's actually better than other plans I have seen. Access to PPO network in the US and IPAD internationally. The Gold plus option looks pretty good, no coinsurance, deductibles from 250 to 10k. You can get optional riders + coverage for pre-existing conditions. $5M lifetime maximum benefit limit. Annual premium for a 47 year old male , with $2,500 deductible is $1,700 a year. Looks good to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When we lived in the UK last year for 7 months I'm sure we could have bought much cheaper insurance, but there was no way I was going to risk dropping my US insurance during that period.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Looks good to me.
It does, but it's non-HIPPA and it looks like you're ineligible for coverage or renewal if you're in the U.S. for more than six months per year. So it's probably not a good option for someone who expects to, or even might, return to the U.S.

Quote:
Eligibility: U.S. citizens must reside abroad or plan to leave the U.S. on their effective date and plan to reside abroad for at least six of the next 12 months.

Renewal of Coverage: You must continue to meet the eligibility requirements outlined above in order to renew.
I know I worry about developing a condition that makes me uninsurable outside my state. I'd like the option to live wherever I want, not where my health insurance policy is. I can't imagine putting myself in the postion where I couldnt return home to the U.S. if I wanted.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #60

Please check the IMG website and call them. The benefits plan looks good to me for those who live 6 months abroad.
Quote: