Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've mentioned it before here on the forum, but we used http://www.housecarers.com/ to find a person to stay at our place when we went to Mongolia, and would have used them again but had a buddy able to stay when we were in Peru. I think they might have more in the way of US-based postings, but I can recommend the site as attracting very good folks from the perspective of the house-owner.

I think there is some good information on insurance here, at an Independent traveler site I frequent. I actually bought our short-term insurance through World Nomads, and was pleased with the process. Comprehensive travel insurance | Buy travel insurance

Akaisha, I do hope that Billy's recovery is going well and am sorry to learn of his illness.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

My Irish Brother is friends with the couple who run this place outside of Bordeaux, France. He highly recommends it and has booked it out fully for a week this summer for an extended family get-together (our large family is scattered throughout the world these days):
Le Logis des Quatre Puits - HOME PAGE / PAGE D'ACCUEIL

I would think bargains are to be had in Ireland these days. Economy is still very bad, and finding someone who will rent for the entire summer should be a no brainer.

My other brother has a B&B near Lahinch, Co. Clare. He runs it only during the summer. He sets up golfing holidays for Lahinch and other courses in Ireland. He's a mad golfer...so he'll even play Lahinch or Portmarnock with you! Message me if you need contact info.
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Billy just recently had an emergency hospital event in Guatemala - 2 nights stay in hospital, MRI, x-rays, intravenous meds, doctors, nurses, concierge care, etc. etc. etc. and the cost was $1,600 USD.
Very sorry to hear of this, I hope he recovers quickly. Thank you for sharing this detail. HI abroad is a big concern for many so it is good to hear of real life experiences like this.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm thinking much along the same lines. I want to retire in both the US and abroad--if in Europe, probably Italy, but 95% chance it will be in Asia. More and more I'm leaning towards Malaysia, unless Taiwan were to start a similar retirement visa scheme. I'd probably stay 8-9 months overseas, and the remainder in the US, though as long as my parents are alive, it will be the opposite.
stoutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DW and I also plan to do this. We are going to do the first stint in the UK visiting family/friends but after that it will be, ironically, winters in California to spend time near her sister.

Hey, when you're from Canada, California is still exotic... lol
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Akaisha (and MichaelB) -- I trust Billy's recovery is going well. I enjoy reading of your exploits on your blog.
I've seen BUPA and other coverages mentioned before, and I need to do a lot more reading about it. As long as DW knows that others in our potential retirement age bracket are comfortable with getting affordable health care either through BUPA (et al), or out of pocket, I think we'll be more comfortable about making the jump in a few years.
teekaymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekaymn View Post
I've been away from the forums for a bit, but this thread caught my eye, as the expat idea is something my DW and I would like to explore. Firecalc results look promising if we stay on course, with a goal of FIRE in 5 years. The big thing that still seems a bit of an unknown to me is how to handle health care once we leave the coverage we get through w*rk. Cost for services in most countries seems much less expensive without even buying insurance, but I'm just wondering what expats do for peace of mind if they've got, say, a 5-7 timespan to cover until residing back in the U.S. to take advantage of Medicare.
I have been retired and living overseas for about 10 years. I have HI for my family at a private clinic ($75.00 mth)we also have a separate cancer policy for $30.00 a month. Next year when I turn 60 we will buy a comprehensive policy with a Major carrier at a cost of $160.00 a month. The reason is unless you do this before 60 major carriers will no longer insure you. If you have it in place, then they will renew it (at a higher cost) but you will have full coverage. One problem with TI or international HI is that you will still be required to pay for treatment in cash (before surgery) and then must fight with the company for reimbursement. The advantage in low cost countries is the insurance company usually laughs at how cheap the operation was and reimburses without to much effort.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
One problem with TI or international HI is that you will still be required to pay for treatment in cash (before surgery) and then must fight with the company for reimbursement. The advantage in low cost countries is the insurance company usually laughs at how cheap the operation was and reimburses without to much effort.
I agree, but the OP was asking about living abroad for 3-6 months a year. How easy would be it be to sign up to a local HI policy for such a short period? I think that's why TI is being discussed on this thread.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Billy just recently had an emergency hospital event in Guatemala - 2 nights stay in hospital, MRI, x-rays, intravenous meds, doctors, nurses, concierge care, etc. etc. etc. and the cost was $1,600 USD.

Best,
Akaisha
Author, Your Retirement Dream IS Possible
I hope that he is fully recovered and feeling fine again.

Ha
Old 04-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I agree, but the OP was asking about living abroad for 3-6 months a year. How easy would be it be to sign up to a local HI policy for such a short period? I think that's why TI is being discussed on this thread.
Sorry, Alan, I think I was the one that hijacked the thread to a discussion of expat/longer stay health care concerns.
teekaymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

@ aiming-4-55
I'm thinking just Manila, Quezon City, Greenhills, and surrounding areas.
It may be congested, but the areas of makati and Greenhills looks like any big american city.
I'm scared of the south, like Davao, because of the Muslim problems. Think of Kidnapping for ransom?
Manila also has the foremost hospitals if you get sick. Entertainment and restaurants abounds. I also want to be close to the Manila International airport
if things don't work out well.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekaymn View Post
Sorry, Alan, I think I was the one that hijacked the thread to a discussion of expat/longer stay health care concerns.
No worries - it was so subtle, I didn't even notice
Old 04-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

To all of those who gave their best wishes for Billy and his health, we appreciate it! Billy is fine, and is completely recovered, !Gracias a Dios!

On our website we gave a full review of B’s hospital experience including the detail of his bill. We did a follow up to answer our Readers’ questions on this which we also posted. If you have interest in learning the practical details of this, just PM me and I can direct you.

I don’t know if I am allowed to say that or not.

Quote:
How easy would be it be to sign up to a local HI policy for such a short period? I think that's why TI is being discussed on this thread.
If you “go naked” of a U.S. based health insurance policy, you can purchase (foreign) local health care services as needed out of pocket or sign up for international insurance to cover your long term stay in foreign countries. If you are living outside the States and want to visit the U.S., you can cover yourself through travel insurance utilizing your foreign address as your home address to get the reasonable price. You can have this travel insurance cover a week, or months or even a year at a time, depending on the company.

Of course, “going naked” can be frightening at first.

Again, thank you all for your good wishes towards Billy. We do appreciate it!

Best,
Akaisha
Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...On our website we gave a full review of B’s hospital experience including the detail of his bill.
I was able to find this post on your website but not the follow up.

Do you not carry health insurance--it sounds like you paid for all the expenses out of pocket and none were offset by travelers' health insurance?

ETA: I did find your follow up to readers' questions where you mentioned you have a high deductible policy so you did pay for all the expenses out of pocket. You didn't mention the diagnosis--I certainly respect not revealing that and don't wish to know, but I do hope the docs were able to find the problem and treat it so your adventures can continue.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

For a long trip of 1-3 months, my medical insurance will cover expenses incurred out of the country. I have also signed up for a emergency medical air evacuation service, in the event of serious illness. They will take me to any hospital in the USA>

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
for those of you who do this
Old 04-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

for those of you who do this

or are contemplating doing this - I've a question

What do you do with your place in the USA? I saw someone (Sarah?) uses a housesitter - and the rest of you?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRar View Post

What do you do with your place in the USA? I saw someone (Sarah?) uses a housesitter - and the rest of you?
We moved into an apartment shortly before we retired just so we can "lock and "leave". We tell them in the office when we are leaving and they have someone come in once a week to check things out. We also keep in touch with them from time to time with e-mail.

PS

Our son picks up the mail once a week from the box and lets us know if anything important arrives.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #38

Quote:
I did find your follow up to readers' questions where you mentioned you have a high deductible policy so you did pay for all the expenses out of pocket.
Yes, we have a high deductible of $10,000 for in-provider coverage and $20,000 for outside of provider coverage. It is simply for catastrophic care when we are in the States and it keeps our monthly premiums low. The prices for catastrophic care in foreign countries are reasonable compared to the States.

An example: A friend of ours had heart bypass surgery in Guadalajara at a top hospital and spent 5 nights there. This was only a couple of years ago. The complete cost to him (with no insurance to help cover) was $15,000.

Quote:
We live in an Active Adult Community which is a turnkey situation, perfect for travelers. When we are not in the States for long periods of time we either leave the house empty (we have security in the community and neighbors who watch) or we can choose to rent it out during high season. This covers the annual lease amount.

House sitting options are terrific both to have your own house “sat” as well as being able to visit other locations and not have to pay so much for lodging. (Depending on how long the stay is, you might be asked to pay for your own uts.) House swapping (home exchange) is another option where you swap your place with the same couple that swap theirs with you.

Our friends who have a gorgeous lake-view home in Chapala, Mexico swapped their home to live in France and then when their brilliant son wanted to attend University in the States, they swapped their home again, this time for a place in the western U.S.

Best,
Akaisha
Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRar View Post

Our trips have been of around a month in length (sadly, still working) and yes, we've used housecarers and been pleased.

For future longer trips, we plan to build a small garage apartment and have a permanent tenant stay on our place, so we can come and go and still have someone to care for the animals.

Finding a solution to what to do with the house when traveling is a biggie. Everyone seems to have a different answer, from selling up and going perpetual traveler to cobbling together friends and family to check in while you are away.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #40

Has anyone recently done a 2-3 month rental in central Paris?

I've looked at VRBO and am finding $2200 for tiny studios to $3000 for one bedroom small, in Arr. 1 & 2.

I've looked at Craigslist and found a place near Rue Mouffetard (great place to shop and eat) for $2400 on a 6 month lease.

BUT, leery of dealing with someone on Craigslist from 6,000 miles away.

Anyone suggest a safe way of finding an apartment?
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote