Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

London just left the bucket list
Old 06-03-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

London just left the bucket list

I just got a flash on my laptop about bad news for pedestrians in London. If i want a crazy to run me over ill stay home and save the airfare.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #2

2 incidents today, not just one. I'm glad I was there 6 weeks last year with my family. London Bridge and a Borough market, we went walking there.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #3

This is awful but I will not let this deter me from travels. I feel this is letting them win. No offence intended to the OP. Just wanted to state my view.

I am grateful for the people who maintain their plans. And for the recent heroes in Portland who defended the Muslim women.

I hope this craziness stops in my lifetime. Not sure this post fits here. If not, feel free to delete.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Statistically speaking the risk is probably much higher for getting injured in a traffic accident, maybe getting hit by an American who can't figure out a left-hand roundabout.

Seriously, the rest of the world thinks every street corner in the US features battling drug gangs with assault rifles. It's the press that gets people spun up, not the reality of the risk.

I don't think I'd head for Syria or Sudan right now but if we hadn't already been to Egypt I'd be considering it and looking for the bargains that are undoubtedly available. London, with the weak pound, is more attractive than it has been in years. We've already been there a couple of times, though.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Statistically speaking the risk is probably much higher for getting injured in a traffic accident, maybe getting hit by an American who can't figure out a left-hand roundabout.

Seriously, the rest of the world thinks every street corner in the US features battling drug gangs with assault rifles. It's the press that gets people spun up, not the reality of the risk.

I don't think I'd head for Syria or Sudan right now but if we hadn't already been to Egypt I'd be considering it and looking for the bargains that are undoubtedly available. London, with the weak pound, is more attractive than it has been in years. We've already been there a couple of times, though.
I cant remember see any timeshares in Syria, but ill skip those too.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 06-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:

Well said.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
This is awful but I will not let this deter me from travels. I feel this is letting them win. No offence intended to the OP. Just wanted to state my view.

I am grateful for the people who maintain their plans. And for the recent heroes in Portland who defended the Muslim women.

I hope this craziness stops in my lifetime. Not sure this post fits here. If not, feel free to delete.
The second paragraph seems off topic but its cool, no offense taken.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We're headed to London a week from Monday, for five nights before we leave on a cruise. That is if I can get DW on the airplane. Of course, with British Airways it'll probably be cancelled.
Seriously though, I don't want this to get in the way of people traveling. I lived in England in the 80s when the IRA and Libya were causing problems. I didn't let that terrorism affect any travel plans then and won't now.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #9

Go to London. Go to Paris. Travel.

We were in London last year and took the Eurostar from London to Paris on the same day the terrorists hit Belgium. A few days later when they broke up that terrorist cell in Paris, it was about 8 miles from my hotel. My daughter did a German exchange right at the time there were attacks on women going on in Germany.

I was concerned sending her to Germany at that time. Its all disconcerting as a traveler and absolutely maddening as a citizen but its no reason to not travel and see the world. The people are delightful and the experiences are great. I have memories with my family that are irreplaceable.

I would be saddened indeed if I had traded those memories over marginal fears.

Screw 'em. Travel and live.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #10

It's easy to focus on these terrible events when they are on the news channels 24 hours a day. But this is a very big world, and the risk of being involved in a terrorist incident is very low in the grand scheme of things.

With that being said, I tend to avoid areas that are known for being extremely high traffic areas. Mostly because I don't like crowds, but I suppose the terrorism threat goes through the back of my mind in these areas just a bit.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #11

We're off to London in July. Very much looking forward to it.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #12
Administrator

This is London on December 29, 1940, during what was the 114th straight night of being bombed during the Blitz. Londoners did not cower or cringe then, they aren't now and won't anytime in the foreseeable future. They keep calm and carry on. So should you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg st. pauls.jpg (4.9 KB, 377 views)
Old 06-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Nice to be told by our superiors what we should feel and how we should behave. God knows how any of us has managed to blunder along so long on our own!
Old 06-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

No problem. I'll go to London on your behalf. I still haven't visited the Tower of London.

And I'm so glad I didn't miss Nice last year. Great city and surrounds.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #15

Quote:

Exactly. I'll happily go and roll those dice.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I just got a flash on my laptop about bad news for pedestrians in London. If i want a crazy to run me over ill stay home and save the airfare.
Was it ever on your bucket list? ....Never travel anywhere without paying attention to your surroundings and stay alert.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #17

I probably have PTSD, i remember when i first heard a plane fly over my house after 9/11. I jumped out of my skin. I also swear i see shark fins when im at the beach, i blame the movie Jaws on that.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I probably have PTSD, i remember when i first heard a plane fly over my house after 9/11. I jumped out of my skin.
I think a lot of us did, even those of us who didn't live anywhere near NYC. I'm sure it was so much worse there.

Seems like each potential traveler can decide for himself (or herself) whether the slight to moderate stress he/she might feel when traveling to London or wherever, will mean that another destination might be more fun that year, or not. In my opinion it's not a matter of probabilities; it's a matter of how much it will detract from vacation fun for that individual.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-04-2017, 04:10 AM   #19

Quote:
I probably have PTSD, i remember when i first heard a plane fly over my house after 9/11. I jumped out of my skin. I also swear i see shark fins when im at the beach, i blame the movie Jaws on that.
Don't let it control you.
Vietnam combat vet here so I understand. But you can't let them win.

We had a trip scheduled to Oktoberfest in 2001, just a couple of weeks after 9/11. There were hardly any empty seats on the flight over; most others didn't cancel their plans either. We had a wonderful time. It was interesting to see the extra security, too. There were German Air Force armored personnel carriers patrolling the perimeter of the Munich airport, and that gave us a good feeling.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:06 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I spent 27 years being raised, living and working in London before I left for Canada & The States. It STILL brings a few tears to my eyes when I walk across Tower Bridge..... Nostalgic Tears that is.