Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Just as I telling them about it I looked up and saw it coming from town, crossing the road in front of us.
It otter know better.....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #182
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It otter know better.....
Old 07-19-2015, 12:42 AM   #183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll also add a thumbs up for spinnakers here - really great beer !

Quote:
This was our last day staying in Sidney, and what a fantastic 2 weeks it has been. Today we went into Victoria for the 3rd time after hearing from some er.org friends a few days ago from the US who were on route to Victoria. We had not actually been to Spinnakers yet so arranged to meet them there for lunch and spend the afternoon with them. Great recommendation, an excellent place to eat and drink.

A fantastic end to a wonderful stay on the island. So many good memories, so many photos. In fact while we were walking back into town from the pub we were telling them that at this place a few days ago we watched a sea otter fishing and eating his/her catch for quite a while, then after eating the third catch the otter climbed out, right past us and walked along the road a short distance then off into town down a side street. Just as I telling them about it I looked up and saw it coming from town, crossing the road in front of us. We all watched it clamber over the rocks into the sea, then come swimming up right by us.

Tomorrow we drive to Whistler......

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #184
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like you found my neck of the woods somewhat agreeable, eh Alan?
Old 07-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #185
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm guessing what you saw was a river otter, Alan. They are the juvenile delinquents of the animal world in the northwest, making even raccoons look staid.
Sea otters would be on the west side of Vancouver island and don't leave the water at all, IIRC.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #186
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Sounds like you found my neck of the woods somewhat agreeable, eh Alan?
Very enjoyable indeed.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:35 PM   #187
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
I'm guessing what you saw was a river otter, Alan. They are the juvenile delinquents of the animal world in the northwest, making even raccoons look staid.
Sea otters would be on the west side of Vancouver island and don't leave the water at all, IIRC.
We thought it looked smaller than the sea otters we saw in California so I've just Googled it and you are correct, it was a river otter. Very long tail as well.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #188
Administrator

We have now completed 2 weeks in Whistler and taken 2 days to drive to Canmore via Kelowna where we will be for a month (and have 2 sets of visitors to come stay with us as we are in a 2 bed condo).

Whistler was marvelous and we did loads of hiking in the valley trails and also on the tops of Whistler and Blackcomb mountains. We even went zip ling and loved it. (The longer lines crossed from mountain to mountain over Fitzsimmons creek).

Lots of stunning photos but one of my favorites was from a hike we did in Joffre Lakes Park, an hour north of Whistler. The park consists of 3 lakes which you get to while hiking about 1,250' up to the base of a glacier, along excellent, well maintained trails. The attached photo is of Lower Lake which is only a few minutes walk from the car park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (532.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Alan, I really enjoyed the meetup with you and your DW. Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep us updated!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #190
Moderator Emeritus

Stunning photo, Alan! Enjoy the rest of your megatrip and continue to keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #191
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gorgeous! What a trip.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #192
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Alan, I really enjoyed the meetup with you and your DW. Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep us updated!
Thank you so much for meeting us and for taking us on a tour around the town, wine tasting, and that fabulous restaurant overlooking the lake. We had a great time. Attached is a photo from our table where we ate some wonderful food while sitting outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (544.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #193
Administrator

While in Canada I have been using Google Maps on my iPhone to navigate the tricky bits in the cities like Vancouver. It doesn't use much data and I signed up to an international plan with my carrier AT&T, for 30 days at a time, costs $30 and gives 120MB of free data then $0.25/MB over that, plus some free and low cost texts and voice calls.

I have never been close to the 120MB limit so far but as we were on our way to Canmore on Saturday we received a text message from AT&T saying we had just reached $100 of international data usage. DW, who was navigator at the time turned made sure that data roaming was off and we arrived in Canmore no problem and no need for Google Maps.

After we had settled in I clicked on the toll free phone number in the AT&T text message and spoke to a customer rep who explained that my plan had expired on August 1st (the day we arrived). I explained that I was online now and looking at that plan which started on July 3rd. She agreed that it had started on July 3rd so I asked if AT&T used a different form of arithmetic to the rest of world because July 3rd + 30 days = August 2nd. She immediately apologized and said that she would have the fees refunded, and asked if I wanted another 30 days to begin on August 2nd. (I do since we are here for another 29 days and having her set it up saves me from going online and doing it. - you can only buy 30 days at a time).

I can only assume that when purchasing a 30 day package that some minion has to enter the start and end dates because I can't see how a piece of software can do the arithmetic wrong like this
Old 08-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #194

Numbers is hard....
Old 08-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #195
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the Canadians use a different calendar than us in the lower states?
Old 08-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #196
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
+1

I think there is at least one day difference in the exchange rate.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #197
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you so much for meeting us and for taking us on a tour around the town, wine tasting, and that fabulous restaurant overlooking the lake. We had a great time. Attached is a photo from our table where we ate some wonderful food while sitting outside.
Hard to have a bad meal with a view like that.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #198
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You are probably onto something there. It would be typical of AT&T to use an excuse like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I think there is at least one day difference in the exchange rate.
We have been very fortunate to have had such a beneficial exchange rate this past few months. Only 4 weeks left to go in Canada, and I see that an election has been called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1

Old 08-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Old Vines Restaurant | Quail's Gate

Welcome to my neighbourhood.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #200
Administrator

This is our last weekend in Canmore, AB. We have had a great month here, loads to do locally and in easy reach of Banff National Park to the east and Kananaskis Country parks to the west. DW chose it as the prices for 2 bed rented condos were much cheaper than in Banff, which is an easy 20 minute drive from here.

Monday we drive back into the USA, to Glacier NP for a few days there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (498.3 KB, 10 views)