Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
For some reason, I have always been fascinated by Van Horn! Don't ask me why, because I don't know.

Glad you made it so far the first day. Texas is so huge.... it just never ends.
Jeff Bezos (Amazon) is building some fancy space port and a 1000 year clock around there. DH checks the satellite views now and then.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #42

I have the British Columbians on here to thank for our amazing trip along the Cassiar Highway in BC last year, it was probably the most beautiful part of our 6,000 mile journey.

Beyond Vancouver there are some beautiful and untouched wilderness areas and charming small towns that we really loved. I don't think you'll get up that far, but just below the Yukon border is Liard Hot Springs, which was AWESOME!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #43

Awesome trip, Alan!

Assume you will head up the Oregon coast after Brookings (much more interesting than the interstate). Cannon Beach is a wonderful little town with beautiful rocks and tidal pools. Also a terrific little cooking school/gourmet store/restaurant called EVOO that we stumbled upon:
EVOO: Cannon Beach Cooking School

On the way there, the Tillamook cheese factory has a great tour if you are into cheese!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
On the way there, the Tillamook cheese factory has a great tour if you are into cheese!
Good ice cream too!

+1 on Canon Beach and Hug Point.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:58 PM   #45

We drove 712 miles today and are now on the California/Arizona border, in a hotel just inside the California border. It was thousands of the iconic saguaro cacti in the Arizona desert, temperature was 102, right up to the California border where all traffic was stopped and we asked if were carrying any fresh fruit and vegetables. A couple of hundred metres further into California and the desert had turned into lush greenery with palm trees everywhere. California definitely bans the desert here.

The attached photo is from this morning from our hotel in Van Horn, Texas close to the border. Just after setting off we went through a border control checkpoint where ALL the traffic from I10 was question by border control officers. When asked if we were American Citizens I responded "Why aye man!". Fortunately I didn't look Mexican so he didn't ask to see our passports and let us through.

Santa Monica with DD tomorrow is next on the schedule.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (483.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We drove 712 miles today and are now on the California/Arizona border, in a hotel just inside the California border. It was thousands of the iconic saguaro cacti in the Arizona desert, temperature was 102, right up to the California border where all traffic was stopped and we asked if were carrying any fresh fruit and vegetables. A couple of hundred metres further into California and the desert had turned into lush greenery with palm trees everywhere. California definitely bans the desert here.

The attached photo is from this morning from our hotel in Van Horn, Texas close to the border. Just after setting off we went through a border control checkpoint where ALL the traffic from I10 was question by border control officers. When asked if we were American Citizens I responded "Why aye man!". Fortunately I didn't look Mexican so he didn't ask to see our passports and let us through.

Santa Monica with DD tomorrow is next on the schedule.
The drive to Santa Monica should seem like nothing after 650 miles the first day, and 712 miles today. I remember those saguaro cacti in Arizona. You have seen a lot in the past two days.

Glad the border control check and the agricultural inspection went smoothly.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #47

You guys are driving machines!
Old 05-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
You guys are driving machines!
+1

If I drive like Alan has, for even one day, it takes me a day or more to recover from a white-line hangover. One of the many things I enjoy about being retired is the luxury of not having to drive those miserable distances at one stretch.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

If I drive like Alan has, for even one day, it takes me a day or more to recover from a white-line hangover. One of the many things I enjoy about being retired is the luxury of not having to drive those miserable distances at one stretch.

I am worn out just from being chauffeured around a small area of South Texas. Those longer distances just don't sound at all good. My back hurts just reading about them. 😳
Old 05-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're frugal and in a hurry, get my favourite cookbook http://www.amazon.ca/Manifold-Destin.../dp/1416596232

Great tasting recipes, cheap ingredients and no need to stop for meals.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #51

We made it to our daughter in Santa Monica easy enough by lunchtime and have been chilling out. We don't normally drive as much as this but my doctor visits put us back a week. We are back on schedule now. Couple of days here then make our way slowly up the coast to Oregon where we have a place booked on May 9th
Old 05-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I want your wife to plan a trip for DH and me. This sounds so incredible....looking forward to lots and lots of photos. Have fun; be safe.....and I know you will do both.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Anxious to hear what you and your wife think of Brookings , Alan. Thinking of moving there with my honey in the next year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
Anxious to hear what you and your wife think of Brookings , Alan. Thinking of moving there with my honey in the next year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
We will be there for a week, Rainbow Rock Condominiums, I'll let you know how we like it.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #55

Quote:
Thanks to Mr Market this is the 6th year of doing these very long vacations since retiring. Next year will hopefully be the UK and Europe, last year was Australia and New Zealand
Alan:
We hit 4 countries in Europe (starting in Budapest), took a deep Caribbean cruise and went to Vegas/Hawaii/San Francisco for February.

My wife is expected to have mobility issues in her future, and we're seeing the world while it's possible. We have been doing North American travel every other year, and will be seeing more of this continent as we get a little older.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Alan:
We hit 4 countries in Europe (starting in Budapest), took a deep Caribbean cruise and went to Vegas/Hawaii/San Francisco for February.

We really wanted to hit Australia and take a cruise around New Zealand, but the airfare went sky high (over $2K) last week.

I've found a great airfare on Norwegian Air Shuttle to Copenhagen where we can catch a Baltic cruise to St. Petersburg and back. Then fly to Oslo for $70 each and take the Norway in an Nutshell train trip to the Fjord ferry to Bergen.

My wife is expected to have mobility issues in the future, and we're seeing the world while it's possible.

That sounds great. Do it while you can. We have known too many friends and relatives (including both sets of parents) where one or other of the couple becomes unable to travel (or dies) shortly after retiring.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:06 AM   #57

We might pass you unknowingly, as we will drive south on 101 around 10th.
Have fun and enjoy!
Old 05-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
We might pass you unknowingly, as we will drive south on 101 around 10th.
Have fun and enjoy!
Cool, I'll look for a car with the sign chris2008 across the top of the windshield, and honk my horn
Old 05-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #59

Quote:
We are back on schedule now. Couple of days here then make our way slowly up the coast to Oregon where we have a place booked on May 9th
That's more like it. Those 700+ mile days were tiring me out, and I'm just reading about your trip.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That's more like it. Those 700+ mile days were tiring me out, and I'm just reading about your trip.
With 2 drivers it's not that bad, particularly at the start of a holiday when the excitement level is still high.