Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #61

First hike of the vacation. DD took us to Topanga State Park where we did a 6.4 mile circular hike up to Eagle Rock. Great practice for what we hope to do lots more of in the coming months. Got to try out the new hiking app on my iPhone, Gaia GPS, worked great. I have brought along our 2011 Garmin handheld GPS that has served us well for 4 years, but it is already very dated and it is very expensive to buy the sims with the maps we need for the States and countries we visit. Also left our old camera behind, using the phone camera for the first time.

Attached photos are of DD and her old Dad. (Eagle Rock is behind us)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (718.9 KB, 65 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #62

oops, failed to load 2 attachments from the iPad, so here is the 2nd, of DD on top of Eagle Rock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (597.7 KB, 44 views)

Old 05-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice looking father and daughter picture. I am sure that it felt great to be hiking, after the 2 days in the car.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Nice looking father and daughter picture. I am sure that it felt great to be hiking, after the 2 days in the car.
It most certainly did feel good. Tomorrow we go with her and her SO for breakfast and to visit their new offices in the morning then we leave and start driving up the Pacific Coast highway.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Alan, you are a few years ahead of us doing a very similar trip. Can I ask what you budgeted for the six months of travel? Are you going to keep track of expenses?

thanks,

Marc
Old 05-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Alan, you are a few years ahead of us doing a very similar trip. Can I ask what you budgeted for the six months of travel? Are you going to keep track of expenses?

thanks,

Marc
At risk of being drummed out of the er.org membership I confess that I didn't budget for this holiday and am not tracking expenses.

I can tell you that the cost of all the booked accommodation including the Alaska cruise and trip to Denali NP is $21k. I won't be keeping track of gas, meals, other short stay hotels etc. Target budget for the entire year's living expenses including vacations, not including taxes, is $114k. which is $5k higher than last year's actual expenses which included 5 months in Australia including a week in Vanuatu, a 2 week cruise to New Zealand and business class airfare.

As you might guess we have not had any problem switching from saving to spending when we retired, but we are still LBOM.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
... we are still LBOM.
"Living Big, Oh My!"

Good on ya!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
"Living Big, Oh My!"

Good on ya!
Yes indeed

Old 05-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Alan - great road trip. I'll be waving on PCH by Santa Monica. I drive it daily for a few more years.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
Hi Alan - great road trip. I'll be waving on PCH by Santa Monica. I drive it daily for a few more years.
That is so cool

There was a lot of traffic there this afternoon on our way back from Eagle Rock.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd highly recommend taking a day to see the Tetons as well. It is a must see since you will be in the neighborhood anyway. And, since you like hiking, check out the Jenny Lake Trail. You can do a hike of roughly 7 miles all the round or about 5 miles starting at the trailhead to the falls and back. You can also hike to the top of the falls where you will be at the entrance to Cascade Canyon with a fantastic view out over the Teton valley. You can also take a shuttle boat round trip from the visitor area to the falls if you're hiked out by then. Enjoy!

Jenny Lake Trailhead map
Old 05-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #72

Thanks, I agree about the Tetons and the Jenny Lake trail. We spent a week there in 2012.

So much to see and do.....
Old 05-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Great photos, Alan. Your DD looks so happy to be with you and vice versa.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Great photos, Alan. Your DD looks so happy to be with you and vice versa.
Thanks, we had a good couple of days with her, and this morning she showed us around the brand new campus of her new offices. It was a bit like a visit to Disneyworld, what an awesome place to work. (she is a software engineer at an internet fantasy e-games company).

After the visit we drove up the coast and spent the day at Santa Barbara, checked in and walked over 5 miles along the beach and around the town center. Lovely place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (468.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-04-2015, 09:57 PM   #75

Great photo! You look like a fun couple.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:39 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Alan, what kind of vehicle are you using?
Old 05-05-2015, 01:02 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Alan, what kind of vehicle are you using?
A VW Golf. In 2013 we hired one in England and drove it for 6 weeks, 4 of those in Ireland, did a lot of miles in it and loved it. We bought a new one in January.

In 2012 when we did a similar 5 month, 3,000 mile driving trip in the USA we drove a Prius which also worked well for us.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #78

Am enjoying your journey, and look forward to following you on Google Maps Pro... (look up and wave)
If you go by Watsonville on your way to Santa Clara... say hi to the town... Was one of my stores... and if you go by Gilroy, sniff... you'll know when you get there. Other places Turlock, Livermore, Auburn, Grass Valley... back in '85...30 years ago.
For a future trip, maybe gold country around Placerville or Sonora and Yosemite.
A vicarious adventure for DW and me... best part, doing it from my recliner.
Looking forward to your updates. Thanks for sharing.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.” – Mark Twain

Good to see you avoiding disappointment!
Old 05-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We drove 712 miles today and are now on the California/Arizona border, in a hotel just inside the California border. It was thousands of the iconic saguaro cacti in the Arizona desert, temperature was 102, right up to the California border where all traffic was stopped and we asked if were carrying any fresh fruit and vegetables. A couple of hundred metres further into California and the desert had turned into lush greenery with palm trees everywhere. California definitely bans the desert here.

The attached photo is from this morning from our hotel in Van Horn, Texas close to the border. Just after setting off we went through a border control checkpoint where ALL the traffic from I10 was question by border control officers. When asked if we were American Citizens I responded "Why aye man!". Fortunately I didn't look Mexican so he didn't ask to see our passports and let us through.

Santa Monica with DD tomorrow is next on the schedule.
Tynesidish talk!
Old 05-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Tynesidish talk!
Absolutely, although strictly speaking I am a Durham lad.

Today we are at Moonstone Beach, near Cambria. We've had a walk along the beach followed by lunch of New England clam chowder and salmon tacos. We'll have a drive into Cambria later for a little look around.

Tomorrow we plan to drive to Monterrey and stay for 2 nights.