Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Alan, I am enjoying your posts here. I hope you continue to update so we can all follow along on your adventures.
Thanks Helen, I will do a little updating here with the odd photo, but I don't know why they sometimes come in upside down here, unlike Facebook which works fine, and is easier and faster to update.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Alan, I am enjoying your posts here. I hope you continue to update so we can all follow along on your adventures.
Add another vote.....

Old 05-10-2015, 04:58 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like a great trip so far and look forward to more pictures and updates.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #104

Here is a snap from our walk this morning. It was only 4 miles so we walked on our hands. (I have no idea why the images come in upside down on this site)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (344.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Here is a snap from our walk this morning. It was only 4 miles so we walked on our hands. (I have no idea why the images come in upside down on this site)
IIRC you said you're using an iPad. There is an up and down to the photos it takes... I think the home button needs to be to the right for up. The iPad self corrects when viewing, but when you upload to a site there is still an "up direction".

Try taking two photos where you put the button on the left and the right, and compare the result after uploading.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphd View Post
IIRC you said you're using an iPad. There is an up and down to the photos it takes... I think the home button needs to be to the right for up. The iPad self corrects when viewing, but when you upload to a site there is still an "up direction".

Try taking two photos where you put the button on the left and the right, and compare the result after uploading.
I actually take the photos using my iPhone, then airdrop them to the iPad where I have a much bigger screen plus a keyboard to manipulate and re-order them and then make copies to Facebook and Google Drive where I rename them and share them with family and friends, and they all come in the right way up.

I agree that I could take the photos on the iPhone with the mechanical buttons on the bottom of the camera but I like to take photos with the buttons on the top and press the mechanical button as that is how I have always used a camera. Pressing a button from underneath or touching the button on the screen just seems odd to me after all these years.

I can flip photos on the iPad so they look upside down. Let me attach an upside down photo and see if it comes in the correct way up. (nope, it still comes in upside down)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (371.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I actually take the photos using my iPhone, then airdrop them to the iPad where I have a much bigger screen plus a keyboard to manipulate and re-order them and then make copies to Facebook and Google Drive where I rename them and share them with family and friends, and they all come in the right way up.

I agree that I could take the photos on the iPhone with the mechanical buttons on the bottom of the camera but I like to take photos with the buttons on the top and press the mechanical button as that is how I have always used a camera. Pressing a button from underneath or touching the button on the screen just seems odd to me after all these years.

I can flip photos on the iPad so they look upside down. Let me attach an upside down photo and see if it comes in the correct way up. (nope, it still comes in upside down)
Ah, my bad, I was just thinking about the iPad. There are some Apple Support discussions relative to phones with picture orientation issues. You might consider a search there to see what, if anything, applies to you. Folks are talking about compass calibration and turning settings on and off. This was when iOS 8 and iPhone 6 came out, so maybe things have been fixed in an update, too. I'm not that great an Apple user and haven't experienced it on the phone, so I'm afraid I can't comment on the support discussions.

We had the experience described with the iPad a couple of years ago on one particular website, and discovered as long as we put the button on the appropriate side (which I've now forgotten but think it was right), it solved our problem. The iPad is my wife's, and I only used it some while on a vacation.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #108

Well, I'm enjoying your pictures anyway. I'll just pretend that you are in Australia, where everything is already upside down.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphd View Post
Ah, my bad, I was just thinking about the iPad. There are some Apple Support discussions relative to phones with picture orientation issues. You might consider a search there to see what, if anything, applies to you. Folks are talking about compass calibration and turning settings on and off. This was when iOS 8 and iPhone 6 came out, so maybe things have been fixed in an update, too. I'm not that great an Apple user and haven't experienced it on the phone, so I'm afraid I can't comment on the support discussions.

We had the experience described with the iPad a couple of years ago on one particular website, and discovered as long as we put the button on the appropriate side (which I've now forgotten but think it was right), it solved our problem. The iPad is my wife's, and I only used it some while on a vacation.

Today I took all the photos with the software button on the righthand side. I'll attach a photo here to see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for your help. (Looks like it did the trick )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Well, I'm enjoying your pictures anyway. I'll just pretend that you are in Australia, where everything is already upside down.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (738.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #110
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Thanks Alan, for righting your little corner of this topsy-turvy world.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #111

The above photo was from a fabulous hike we did today along part of the Oregon Coast Trail. 7.5 miles, lots of steep climbs up and down onto beaches, a maze of twisting little passages between the road and the sea, ate lunch all by ourselves on a fabulous beach called Secret Beach, that also had 3 waterfalls emptying into it. Great fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (822.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #112
Administrator

Beautiful photos, Alan! I'm glad you found a solution to the upside-down problem because they are spectacular.

What an idyllic vacation for you and your DW!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The above photo was from a fabulous hike we did today along part of the Oregon Coast Trail. 7.5 miles, lots of steep climbs up and down onto beaches, a maze of twisting little passages between the road and the sea, ate lunch all by ourselves on a fabulous beach called Secret Beach, that also had 3 waterfalls emptying into it. Great fun.
Makes me want to take a road trip to Oregon soon!
Old 05-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #114
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

Yea, I just got back from Texas (Austin and Hill Country) and now you're making me miss Oregon.

We do have a beautiful country.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Beautiful photos, Alan! I'm glad you found a solution to the upside-down problem because they are spectacular.

So far so good, it really is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
It's only just up the road from you, it is definitely worth the trip. The Oregon Coast Trail is 382 miles long, with tons of fabulous beaches at the bottom of the cliffs the trail runs along.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

+1
Old 05-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #117

Yesterday we were walking along Harris beach, right next to where we are staying, and saw a pod of whales right close to the shore. There were 2 surfers in the water close by with a 3rd about to enter. We asked her about them and she told us that they were grey whales heading north, although they do have resident grey whales that hang around all summer. She said they often come in very close to the shore and roll on the sand to scratch off the barnacles.

Today we took a trip up to Gold Beach and when we got back mid afternoon took a walk on our beach, which is 1.5 miles long. There thousands of weird blue jellyfish with sails that we'd never seen before. (Photo attached).

A quick Google and I see that it is actually very unusual, plus a description of what they are and why they are washing up and dying by the thousand.

Why Are These Weird Blue Jellyfish Washing Up on Oregon's Beaches? | Motherboard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (687.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #118

Quote:
Yesterday we were walking along Harris beach, right next to where we are staying, and saw a pod of whales right close to the shore. There were 2 surfers in the water close by with a 3rd about to enter. We asked her about them and she told us that they were grey whales heading north, although they do have resident grey whales that hang around all summer. She said they often come in very close to the shore and roll on the sand to scratch off the barnacles.

Today we took a trip up to Gold Beach and when we got back mid afternoon took a walk on our beach, which is 1.5 miles long. There thousands of weird blue jellyfish with sails that we'd never seen before. (Photo attached).

A quick Google and I see that it is actually very unusual, plus a description of what they are and why they are washing up and dying by the thousand.

Why Are These Weird Blue Jellyfish Washing Up on Oregon's Beaches? | Motherboard
I think I posted here last year about these critters - except they're rarely blue when the wash up down south here. I call them doggy potato chips because my dog LOVES to eat them. Just started seeing them in the last week or so - definitely a seasonal thing.

And the name is so cool you have to say it twice!
Old 05-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #119

Great photo documentary, Alan! Those jellyfish are amazing.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:57 AM   #120
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spectacular coastline, no? Looks like you're having some great weather too.