Long distance driving holiday

Yesterday we drove up the coast and then onto I5 through Portland, spending a few hours with some good friends. Then onto Hood River into our next condo where we will be for a week. Attached is a photo from our balcony last night. Looking over the Columbia River to Mt Adam. At the back is Mt Hood but the view is through trees and not quite as breath taking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 25
6.5 miles which should have been a mile or so shorter if we hadn't kept taking detours in the "maze of twisty little passages that all look alike"

:2funny: I *LOVED* that game, back in the day! It's neat that others here recognize that phrase.

Glad you are having such a fun, and spectacular vacation!

:2funny: I *LOVED* that game, back in the day! It's neat that others here recognize that phrase.

Glad you are having such a fun, and spectacular vacation!

I was hoping that would strike a memory chord with one of you aging computer geeks. :)

We got a copy of that to run on our PDP computer at work in the 1970's and spent many a lunchtime playing it.

Colossal Cave Adventure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hood River is a really nice little town, great location with loads of trails nearby to hike. Last night we walked into town for a meal and drink at a really nice, quirky pub/brewhouse. While chatting with the barman he said that the population is about 12,000 in summer but only 2,000 in winter, even though the official population is ~10,000. I'm sure he was exaggerating but his point was that the winters are so bad that even the locals leave.

Yesterday we did a hike on a trail by Mt Adams and today on a trail by Mt Hood, to Tamanawas Falls. Lunch at Timberline Lodge, and now sitting out again on the balcony of our rented place. Magic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    946.6 KB · Views: 18
Just in time to catch the end of the wildflowers in the Gorge. Been out a few times riding our mountain bikes on the Washington side a bit east of Hood River, and it's been great.

A big part of the population gain is from the windsurfers - that area has some of the best windsurfing in the world. The winters aren't all *that* bad. It's a nice part of the world.

Just in time to catch the end of the wildflowers in the Gorge. Been out a few times riding our mountain bikes on the Washington side a bit east of Hood River, and it's been great.

A big part of the population gain is from the windsurfers - that area has some of the best windsurfing in the world. The winters aren't all *that* bad. It's a nice part of the world.

The pub we were in last night, Horsefeathers, is set high up in the town and while we sat eating (Oregon Mussels for me) and drinking the Big Horse Brew Pub beer and cider the windsurfers were great entertainment. We had walked down to the Hood river estuary on Sunday but there was no wind and little going on, but last night there were plenty of them out on the river doing their acrobatic stuff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 17
I don't know your plans going forward, but a nice scenic drive from the north side of the Columbia is Wa 142 from Lyle to Goldendale.

The pub we were in last night, Horsefeathers, is set high up in the town and while we sat eating (Oregon Mussels for me) and drinking the Big Horse Brew Pub beer and cider the windsurfers were great entertainment. We had walked down to the Hood river estuary on Sunday but there was no wind and little going on, but last night there were plenty of them out on the river doing their acrobatic stuff.

Last couples of rides, the wind has been so stiff that we had to work even on the downhills.

Hope you got or get a chance to drive the Columbia River Scenic Highway - much better scenery than along I-84. Waterfalls and views down the gorge. And after seeing Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams, would be a shame not to see Mt. St. Helens Volcanic Monument.

And an agreement with the post above - Highway 142 on the Washington side goes along the Wild and Scenic Klickitat River - a nice rails-to-trails trail running beside it.

I second the recommendation to drive up and down the Columbia Gorge. There is an excellent Interpretive Center close to The Dalles.

Thanks for the tips, we have so many to consider.

We have driven the length of Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway when we stayed here for a week in 2012, and we plan to do some of it again. While the weather is so good we intend to do as much hiking as we can. Tomorrow we are going to the Multnomah Falls area and do a couple of trails we didn't do in 2012. Thursday is looking to be a good chance of rain so we will drive some of the scenic highway, and maybe visit Cascade Locks which we didn't do last time.

On Saturday we leave and have 3 nights booked near Mt St Helens. This last weekend the roads opened up according to the visitor center. In 2012 the road was closed when we were here so only got to look at the visitor center furthest away from the mountain.

We drove up from Oregon today, stopping for a short hike as we drove through Gifford Pinchot National Forest then we ate lunch at Upper Falls. The car is probably a bit upset with us again as we drove on a lot of gravel, lumpy, "holey", roads today. Now we are in Woodland, Washington, is where we are staying for 3 nights. It's pretty cloudy today, so we hope it clears up this next couple of days as we hope to get in some good hikes.

Alan - I lived in Bellingham for 3 years. I learned that in Washington (at least the western part of the state) that you had to be willing to do your outdoor activities in the rain/drizzle. Camping, hiking, mountain biking, kayaking.... all can be done in the rain.

Alan - I lived in Bellingham for 3 years. I learned that in Washington (at least the western part of the state) that you had to be willing to do your outdoor activities in the rain/drizzle. Camping, hiking, mountain biking, kayaking.... all can be done in the rain.

Our daughter discovered this in her 2 years in Bellvue, although the time we visited her we had fabulous weather. However, that year when we visited Mt St Helens and had blue skies, there was also still snow meaning that we never got further than the visitor center at Silver Lake. I suspect this time we will get much further but not get the views as the forecast is for "heavy cloud, no rain".

Well, so much for part of my hiking suggestion in the Tetons.

"In Grand Teton, the trail beyond Hidden Falls to Inspiration Point is closed and being rerouted so crews can replace bridges over Cascade Creek and rebuild the rocky ledge trails and steps that lead up to the popular Jenny Lake overlook."

Popular Yellowstone and Grand Teton trails closed for now

Well, so much for part of my hiking suggestion in the Tetons.

"In Grand Teton, the trail beyond Hidden Falls to Inspiration Point is closed and being rerouted so crews can replace bridges over Cascade Creek and rebuild the rocky ledge trails and steps that lead up to the popular Jenny Lake overlook."

Popular Yellowstone and Grand Teton trails closed for now

That's the way it goes sometimes. Yesterday we drove up to the Johnston Ridge Obversvatory, watched the film about the Mt St Helens eruption then the curtains rolled back over the big picture window to show the mountain.

We still managed to get in a pretty good hike down to the river where it was much clearer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 21
Wow, what a great thread. Alan, don't forget to shoot me a PM when you get to Sidney BC...I'm on a little Gulf Island within shouting distance of there and would love to say hello!

I most certainly will. Thanks.

We found the whole Mt. St. Helens experience quite amazing - even having seen the pictures on the news back when it happened, the magnitude of the destruction is really something to see up close. Also the regeneration that is going on since then is quite interesting.

We found the whole Mt. St. Helens experience quite amazing - even having seen the pictures on the news back when it happened, the magnitude of the destruction is really something to see up close. Also the regeneration that is going on since then is quite interesting.

+1

When we were hiking yesterday we kept saying that everything here is less than 35 years old, how amazing a recovery is this?

Even the wildlife, 90% of the hibernating animals survived, they just climbed out into a whole new world, and the marine life in several frozen lakes escaped unharmed. Apparently all the mammals that survived, including the elk, started moving back in almost immediately.

I just caught up on your thread Alan. This looks like a wonderful trip and a lot like what my husband and I want to do in retirement, starting the first of next year. Happy trails!

I just caught up on your thread Alan. This looks like a wonderful trip and a lot like what my husband and I want to do in retirement, starting the first of next year. Happy trails!

Thanks, it has been a great trip so far.

All the best for your own upcoming retirement. Next year will soon be here.

Following a 7 day Alaskan cruise from Vancouver to Whittier (near Anchorage) we took a long train ride in a glass domed carriage to Denali National Park where we will be for the next few days in 2 different lodges.

The weather, scenery and wildlife have been fantastic so far. On the train ride today we saw several moose including a mother and calf who were very patient, sticking around while the train actually reversed to give us a good chance to take photos.

I've just taken this photo from our bedroom window at 10:30 pm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    672.9 KB · Views: 23
I would suggest taking the day bus tour into the park and then chartering a small plane to fly you back out to the entrance. We did that from the Kantishna Roadhouse and it was an awesome flight, Denali up close and personal. Can't find any pics at the moment, must be on my backup hard drive.

Wow - you've really shown the all-day-sunshine affect, Alan.

Have fun and keep the trip reports coming!

Back
Top Bottom