Long distance driving holiday

Alan, what kind of vehicle are you using?

A VW Golf. In 2013 we hired one in England and drove it for 6 weeks, 4 of those in Ireland, did a lot of miles in it and loved it. We bought a new one in January.

In 2012 when we did a similar 5 month, 3,000 mile driving trip in the USA we drove a Prius which also worked well for us.

Am enjoying your journey, and look forward to following you on Google Maps Pro... (look up and wave) :)
If you go by Watsonville on your way to Santa Clara... say hi to the town... Was one of my stores... and if you go by Gilroy, sniff... you'll know when you get there. Other places Turlock, Livermore, Auburn, Grass Valley... back in '85...30 years ago.
For a future trip, maybe gold country around Placerville or Sonora and Yosemite.
A vicarious adventure for DW and me... best part, doing it from my recliner.
Looking forward to your updates. Thanks for sharing.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.” – Mark Twain :)

Good to see you avoiding disappointment!

We drove 712 miles today and are now on the California/Arizona border, in a hotel just inside the California border. It was thousands of the iconic saguaro cacti in the Arizona desert, temperature was 102, right up to the California border where all traffic was stopped and we asked if were carrying any fresh fruit and vegetables. A couple of hundred metres further into California and the desert had turned into lush greenery with palm trees everywhere. California definitely bans the desert here.

The attached photo is from this morning from our hotel in Van Horn, Texas close to the border. Just after setting off we went through a border control checkpoint where ALL the traffic from I10 was question by border control officers. When asked if we were American Citizens I responded "Why aye man!". Fortunately I didn't look Mexican so he didn't ask to see our passports and let us through.

Santa Monica with DD tomorrow is next on the schedule.

Tynesidish talk!

Tynesidish talk!

Absolutely, although strictly speaking I am a Durham lad.

Today we are at Moonstone Beach, near Cambria. We've had a walk along the beach followed by lunch of New England clam chowder and salmon tacos. We'll have a drive into Cambria later for a little look around.

Tomorrow we plan to drive to Monterrey and stay for 2 nights.

Alan, what kind of vehicle are you using?

Here is a photo of the car at the hotel in Moonstone Beach

ETA
oops, it came in upside down, and I don't know how to turn it around. It's not upside down on my iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    647.5 KB · Views: 33
Maybe try turning your iPad upside down?

Here is a photo of the car at the hotel in Moonstone Beach

ETA
oops, it came in upside down, and I don't know how to turn it around. It's not upside down on my iPad.

Even upside down, it looks like the Pelican Inn--is it??

Stayed there six weeks ago. Moonstone Beach is one of my favorites in all California! Hope you have a nice sunset tonight. :flowers:

Are you sure you aren't back in Australia?

:LOL:

Alan, it sounds like you are making good progress on your journey. Hopefully we'll have some sunshine in store for you when you make it to the Bay Area.

Maybe try turning your iPad upside down?

The photo flips when I do that :nonono:

Are you sure you aren't back in Australia?

That's probably it!!

Even upside down, it looks like the Pelican Inn--is it??

Stayed there six weeks ago. Moonstone Beach is one of my favorites in all California! Hope you have a nice sunset tonight. :flowers:

It is the Fireside Inn, and it is looking like it is indeed going to be a beautiful sunset.

:LOL:

Alan, it sounds like you are making good progress on your journey. Hopefully we'll have some sunshine in store for you when you make it to the Bay Area.

Do your best with the weather for us, we'll be moseying up Big Sur tomorrow. 2 nights in Monterrey then onto Santa Clara to stay with a nephew and his wife of DW.

We nipped out to Simeon Beach as we heard there may be elephant seals there and oh boy, hundreds of them. What a great sight. (not to mention the smell and the noise, and several young adults practicing their sparring)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    713.4 KB · Views: 33
I drove down Big Sur from San Francisco in 1999. The elephant seals were very impressive. You are right by San Simeon (Hearst Castle) which I found fascinating, but may not be to your taste.

Happy motoring!

I drove down Big Sur from San Francisco in 1999. The elephant seals were very impressive. You are right by San Simeon (Hearst Castle) which I found fascinating, but may not be to your taste.

Happy motoring!

Hearst Castle is our next destination. We'll probably pass Mr. and Mrs. Alan on 101.

Happy motoring!

We did consider it but decided to skip it. A couple of years ago we visited Scotty's Castle in Death Valley which was excellent.

Hearst Castle is our next destination. We'll probably pass Mr. and Mrs. Alan on 101.

Be sure to wave and honk at every white VW you pass. One of them might just be us.

We nipped out to Simeon Beach as we heard there may be elephant seals there and oh boy, hundreds of them. What a great sight. (not to mention the smell and the noise, and several young adults practicing their sparring)

That's amazing! I'd seen them on offshore islands, but had no idea they would cover mainland beaches in such numbers!

Check out Backcountry Navigator for a hiking app. It allows you to download topo maps and trail tracks so you don't need a cell signal while in the back country.

Check out Backcountry Navigator for a hiking app. It allows you to download topo maps and trail tracks so you don't need a cell signal while in the back country.

Thanks, I'll look into it but I downloaded Gaia GPS a few weeks back and it does the same. It works really well, as long as you remember to download the area you need before going out of range of cell coverage, which I forgot to do once, although once we cleared the trees and got to he top I had cell coverage again and was able to get a map before descending.

After a week in California we have now arrived at our first booked condo where we will be for a week, Rainbow Rock beach, just north of Brookings, SW Oregon. For the first time since we set off we'll be able to unpack our suitcases. The condo is a 2 bed place with a separate detached garage and overlooks the ocean, with a footpath down to the beach. I've attached a photo from our balcony.

The weather is cold and misty so I hope it improves so that the views are more like those on the website.

Oceanfront Condo in Brookings at Rainbow Rock - VRBO

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 24
After a week in California we have now arrived at our first booked condo where we will be for a week, Rainbow Rock beach, just north of Brookings, SW Oregon. For the first time since we set off we'll be able to unpack our suitcases. The condo is a 2 bed place with a separate detached garage and overlooks the ocean, with a footpath down to the beach. I've attached a photo from our balcony.

The weather is cold and misty so I hope it improves so that the views are more like those on the website.

Oceanfront Condo in Brookings at Rainbow Rock - VRBO

Nice view even without the sun.

I have never made it to Oregon, Washington or Alaska. Hope to get up that way one of these days. It looks beautiful there. I hope the weather improves for you. Our weather basically went from winter to spring for a few days and is supposed to be high 80s today. I keep wondering what happened to our 4 seasons.

I just clicked on the link for where you are staying. That place looks so nice. The hiking trails and being able to walk to the beach is perfect! You should have a fantastic time there. Enjoy!

The sun has got his hat on, and we're going out to play....

Glorious morning today, what a perfect view while eating breakfast. My wife has just come through with the binoculars so we can watch a couple of boats with guys fishing.

Have fun Alan - that place looks like a comfy spot to spend a week.

Alan, I am enjoying your posts here. I hope you continue to update so we can all follow along on your adventures.

Back
Top Bottom