Long distance driving holiday

Alan, I am enjoying your posts here. I hope you continue to update so we can all follow along on your adventures.

Thanks Helen, I will do a little updating here with the odd photo, but I don't know why they sometimes come in upside down here, unlike Facebook which works fine, and is easier and faster to update.

Here is a snap from our walk this morning. It was only 4 miles so we walked on our hands. (I have no idea why the images come in upside down on this site)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 24
Here is a snap from our walk this morning. It was only 4 miles so we walked on our hands. (I have no idea why the images come in upside down on this site)

IIRC you said you're using an iPad. There is an up and down to the photos it takes... I think the home button needs to be to the right for up. The iPad self corrects when viewing, but when you upload to a site there is still an "up direction".

Try taking two photos where you put the button on the left and the right, and compare the result after uploading.

IIRC you said you're using an iPad. There is an up and down to the photos it takes... I think the home button needs to be to the right for up. The iPad self corrects when viewing, but when you upload to a site there is still an "up direction".

Try taking two photos where you put the button on the left and the right, and compare the result after uploading.

I actually take the photos using my iPhone, then airdrop them to the iPad where I have a much bigger screen plus a keyboard to manipulate and re-order them and then make copies to Facebook and Google Drive where I rename them and share them with family and friends, and they all come in the right way up.

I agree that I could take the photos on the iPhone with the mechanical buttons on the bottom of the camera but I like to take photos with the buttons on the top and press the mechanical button as that is how I have always used a camera. Pressing a button from underneath or touching the button on the screen just seems odd to me after all these years.

I can flip photos on the iPad so they look upside down. Let me attach an upside down photo and see if it comes in the correct way up. (nope, it still comes in upside down)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 16
I actually take the photos using my iPhone, then airdrop them to the iPad where I have a much bigger screen plus a keyboard to manipulate and re-order them and then make copies to Facebook and Google Drive where I rename them and share them with family and friends, and they all come in the right way up.

I agree that I could take the photos on the iPhone with the mechanical buttons on the bottom of the camera but I like to take photos with the buttons on the top and press the mechanical button as that is how I have always used a camera. Pressing a button from underneath or touching the button on the screen just seems odd to me after all these years.

I can flip photos on the iPad so they look upside down. Let me attach an upside down photo and see if it comes in the correct way up. (nope, it still comes in upside down)

Ah, my bad, I was just thinking about the iPad. There are some Apple Support discussions relative to phones with picture orientation issues. You might consider a search there to see what, if anything, applies to you. Folks are talking about compass calibration and turning settings on and off. This was when iOS 8 and iPhone 6 came out, so maybe things have been fixed in an update, too. I'm not that great an Apple user and haven't experienced it on the phone, so I'm afraid I can't comment on the support discussions.

We had the experience described with the iPad a couple of years ago on one particular website, and discovered as long as we put the button on the appropriate side (which I've now forgotten but think it was right), it solved our problem. The iPad is my wife's, and I only used it some while on a vacation.

Well, I'm enjoying your pictures anyway. I'll just pretend that you are in Australia, where everything is already upside down.

;) ;) ;)

Ah, my bad, I was just thinking about the iPad. There are some Apple Support discussions relative to phones with picture orientation issues. You might consider a search there to see what, if anything, applies to you. Folks are talking about compass calibration and turning settings on and off. This was when iOS 8 and iPhone 6 came out, so maybe things have been fixed in an update, too. I'm not that great an Apple user and haven't experienced it on the phone, so I'm afraid I can't comment on the support discussions.

We had the experience described with the iPad a couple of years ago on one particular website, and discovered as long as we put the button on the appropriate side (which I've now forgotten but think it was right), it solved our problem. The iPad is my wife's, and I only used it some while on a vacation.

Today I took all the photos with the software button on the righthand side. I'll attach a photo here to see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for your help. (Looks like it did the trick :) )

Well, I'm enjoying your pictures anyway. I'll just pretend that you are in Australia, where everything is already upside down.

;) ;) ;)

:LOL:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    738.4 KB · Views: 19
The above photo was from a fabulous hike we did today along part of the Oregon Coast Trail. 7.5 miles, lots of steep climbs up and down onto beaches, a maze of twisting little passages between the road and the sea, ate lunch all by ourselves on a fabulous beach called Secret Beach, that also had 3 waterfalls emptying into it. Great fun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 25
Beautiful photos, Alan! I'm glad you found a solution to the upside-down problem because they are spectacular.

What an idyllic vacation for you and your DW! :D

The above photo was from a fabulous hike we did today along part of the Oregon Coast Trail. 7.5 miles, lots of steep climbs up and down onto beaches, a maze of twisting little passages between the road and the sea, ate lunch all by ourselves on a fabulous beach called Secret Beach, that also had 3 waterfalls emptying into it. Great fun.

Makes me want to take a road trip to Oregon soon! :)

Beautiful photos, Alan! I'm glad you found a solution to the upside-down problem because they are spectacular.

What an idyllic vacation for you and your DW! :D

So far so good, it really is perfect.

Makes me want to take a road trip to Oregon soon! :)

It's only just up the road from you, it is definitely worth the trip. The Oregon Coast Trail is 382 miles long, with tons of fabulous beaches at the bottom of the cliffs the trail runs along.

Yesterday we were walking along Harris beach, right next to where we are staying, and saw a pod of whales right close to the shore. There were 2 surfers in the water close by with a 3rd about to enter. We asked her about them and she told us that they were grey whales heading north, although they do have resident grey whales that hang around all summer. She said they often come in very close to the shore and roll on the sand to scratch off the barnacles.

Today we took a trip up to Gold Beach and when we got back mid afternoon took a walk on our beach, which is 1.5 miles long. There thousands of weird blue jellyfish with sails that we'd never seen before. (Photo attached).

A quick Google and I see that it is actually very unusual, plus a description of what they are and why they are washing up and dying by the thousand.

Why Are These Weird Blue Jellyfish Washing Up on Oregon's Beaches? | Motherboard

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    687 KB · Views: 17
Yesterday we were walking along Harris beach, right next to where we are staying, and saw a pod of whales right close to the shore. There were 2 surfers in the water close by with a 3rd about to enter. We asked her about them and she told us that they were grey whales heading north, although they do have resident grey whales that hang around all summer. She said they often come in very close to the shore and roll on the sand to scratch off the barnacles.

Today we took a trip up to Gold Beach and when we got back mid afternoon took a walk on our beach, which is 1.5 miles long. There thousands of weird blue jellyfish with sails that we'd never seen before. (Photo attached).

A quick Google and I see that it is actually very unusual, plus a description of what they are and why they are washing up and dying by the thousand.

Why Are These Weird Blue Jellyfish Washing Up on Oregon's Beaches? | Motherboard

I think I posted here last year about these critters - except they're rarely blue when the wash up down south here. I call them doggy potato chips because my dog LOVES to eat them. Just started seeing them in the last week or so - definitely a seasonal thing.

And the name is so cool you have to say it twice!

Spectacular coastline, no? Looks like you're having some great weather too.

We recently saw these jellyfish washed ashore the coast, all the way from Oregon up to Washington. A local said these came this time of year. I also found a number of dead young crabs, and wondered what killed them.

By the way, the dead jellyfish under the best condition smelled like you are downwind from a clam bake. Under worse conditions, they smelled like rotten fish.

Spectacular coastline, no? Looks like you're having some great weather too.

The coastline is truly spectacular, and the weather is again beautiful this morning. We plan to hike another section of the Oregon Coastal Trail today.

A FB friend contacted me to say that his family moved to Gold Beach when he was a teenager. His father was a teacher and fancied living by the coast. However after a year of cold and really windy weather they moved back to Spokane, Washington. Sounds like we are very fortunate to have such glorious weather this week.

Today I took all the photos with the software button on the righthand side. I'll attach a photo here to see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for your help. (Looks like it did the trick :) )

Awesome, good to hear and see. :)

That coastal area is beautiful. Ironically, the trip I mentioned where I figured that out was driving Highway 1 most of the way from LA to Portland in about 10 days. After a brief stay, we turned around and drove south on the inland route through the mountains back to LA in another 10 days.

Take your time and enjoy!:cool:

Sounds like a fun trip. One of my fondest childhood memories was the summer of 1982. My Mom had to go to a 6-week workshop at Shepherd Air Force base in Texas, and my grandparents decided to make a big vacation out of it. Grandmom and Granddad, Mom, and I headed out in their '76 GMC crew cab pickup, with a slide-in truck camper in back, and took our time going out, taking two weeks to get to Texas. Then we dropped Mom off and we went the rest of the way out to California and back, to see Grandmom's brother and sister in law in Long Beach, as well as stopping at other places here and there on the way out and back. So it was 8 weeks, in total.

One thing I really loved about it was the spontaneity of it all. We had a big book called "Scenic Wonders Of America" and some maps and such, and whatever looked like it would be fun to stop off and see, we did. The only problem I remember us having was when we went to the Grand Canyon. It was crowded, campgrounds for miles around were booked up well in advance, so we didn't stay there for long. But every other place we went to, it seemed like we had no trouble at all just showing up spur of the moment.

Beautiful sunny day but the wind did get up in the afternoon making it feel a bit chilly. We spent the day walking on 2 of our favorite beaches, with lunch in Brookings at a seafood restaurant on the marina.

Once again we saw whales very close to the shore on this particular beach. (Harris Beach). When we arrived I was watching the seals on the beach of the island close by through my binoculars and as I scanned to the left saw the large dorsal fin of an orca. There were 3 of them and we watched them for about 20 minutes before they moved on. A little later while walking down the other end of the beach I saw the spout from a whale and we were able to get a good sighting of a grey whale as it slowly made it its way north.

This has been a great location to be for a week and we now switch from beaches to waterfalls as this is our last day here, tomorrow we drive to Hood River in the Columbia River Gorge.

The attached photo is from our hike yesterday when we went from Whaleshead Beach to the Thomas Creek Bridge and back (highest bridge in Oregon). 6.5 miles which should have been a mile or so shorter if we hadn't kept taking detours in the "maze of twisty little passages that all look alike" and finding a way through the sand dunes area (I forgot how tiring trudging up sand dunes is)

Thomas Creek Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    702.9 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom