Join Early Retirement Today

Long Travel Hiatus Story
Old 02-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Long Travel Hiatus Story

I don't know, maybe someone here might find this funny.

The short of it is that until my thirties, I travelled like crazy and was rarely home more than a week at at time.

Then in the 90s, I adopted a child, got serious about my career and had to stay home to support a husband whose job was mostly mobile.

We still travelled, but often by car with the once or twice flights per year to vacation locations..... I put my travel reward cards in a drawer, since my then husband earned enough rewards for us to all fly free.

Fast forward to now and my daughter is grown and on her own. I'm a few years away from early retirement and like a crazy woman, not long ago realized I don't need to "bank" vacation days any more...I need to take them!

So...I've been travelling and rebuilding my points and reward miles. Today, it dawned on me that perhaps those old travel cards that had been sitting in a drawer for almost 20 years might (crazy, but you never know)...still have open and valid accounts - so I started looking around online. I was happy to see that United still remembers me and still tracks my lifetime mileage...but imagine my shock to find a barely used TWA Frequent Flight Bonus Program Card in the stack....(with a typewriter typed name and account number on the front!!)....sooo retro!.... I looked around online - TWA was acquired in 2001....I am obviously too late lol.

I feel like my life is coming full circle...did that happen for any of you retired travellers?
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is great you are returning to travel again! What fun! So what trips have you taken and what have you got planned?
I can't imagine finding a TWA frequent flyer card! Very retro!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Cool,

A few years ago, I wanted to rent a hotel room, and remembered maybe I had SPG points from work travel to do it.
I tried to login but it failed.
So phoned them as I thought maybe the password was bad.

The fellow on the other end explained that my points had expired as I had done nothing with them for years. Then he said "Would you like me to re-activate them?"

It was a wonderful, unexpected surprise

I signed up for an SPG Amex card to earn more points (and keep the account active) and have been staying at SPG hotels for free the last 3 or 4 times.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote