Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We are still waiting for our Council Tax bill which is the equivalent of the property tax.
Isn't this part of your rent already?
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

If you are to move back permanently I believe you have be a resident for 6 months before you are covered by the NHS.
As soon as you become ordinarily resident in the UK the NHS covers you, and if you are a UK citizen you become ordinarily resident as soon as you move back with the intent to stay. As you are only visiting that doesn't apply even if you are a UK citizen......intent is the key factor in determining this with evidence like rent and utility bills and cutting foreign ties like selling a house abroad.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I like the photos of your most recent walk, Alan. Do you or Mrs. Alan ever get blisters from putting in so many miles? How do you prevent them (I just got a hellacious blister at the base of my heel after simply walking at a steady pace for 3 miles on a treadmill!)? Any tips for the sole-challenged among us?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
From my experience the answer would be no. We lived in the UK twice and both times it fell to us to pay the annual council taxes which were normally over 1,000 quid a year.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
From my experience the answer would be no. We lived in the UK twice and both times it fell to us to pay the annual council taxes which were normally over 1,000 quid a year.
Yes that's what I've found too. It's more of an occupation tax and is paid by whoever lives in the property not necessarily the owner.

FYI this is one walk around Alan's home base that I really love

Great Ayton - Roseberry Topping - Captain Cook's Monument - Kildale

and here's a photo of Great Ayton...next village over from Guisborough i took last November
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winter.jpg (144.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Beautiful photos, Alan. I'm glad I don't have to pay even 1/3 that much for water/sewage.

Are you thinking of moving back permanently?
The rent is only $1,000/mo for a lovely, modern, 3-bed detached house so it's not so bad really. Looking at house prices in the local realtor offices, it is worth ~$240,000.

Both our children live in Texas and our son is quite needy so we have no plans to move back permanently. There is also a very good reason why we are here March through October - the winters are miserable.

I'm sure that by the end of the stay we will be homesick for Texas even though we are really enjoying ourselves at present. Watch this space - a wet and cold summer will accelerate that homesickness
Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #47
gone traveling

The real question is if Alan likes "mushy peas" ...

It keeps me from going back, although DW/me attended "Love Never Dies" (follow up to Fathom) in the West End last June (followed by a bite to eat at a bistro near the theatre, where my DW was served - and loved, the therefore mentioned gastric abnormality).

A wonderful county, although (forgive me) I enjoy the "north county" (e.g. Scotland) a bit more. However, regardless of the country, I still hate those damed "roundabouts", along with mushy peas ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
As noted below, this is not normal as the council task is really aimed at the person(s) using all the local facilities. For a while it was replaced by a "poll tax".

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
As soon as you become ordinarily resident in the UK the NHS covers you, and if you are a UK citizen you become ordinarily resident as soon as you move back with the intent to stay. As you are only visiting that doesn't apply even if you are a UK citizen......intent is the key factor in determining this with evidence like rent and utility bills and cutting foreign ties like selling a house abroad.
Thanks for the clarification, I hadn't really looked into it that closely and I certainly don't want to do anything to compromise my non-resident status at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I like the photos of your most recent walk, Alan. Do you or Mrs. Alan ever get blisters from putting in so many miles? How do you prevent them (I just got a hellacious blister at the base of my heel after simply walking at a steady pace for 3 miles on a treadmill!)? Any tips for the sole-challenged among us?
Thick socks and good, well fitted, walking boots is what we use, even when walking on the road. I rubbed up a bit of a blister the day after we arrived. I woke up early and slipped out as quietly as I could for a long walk around the town (60+ minutes) but I had just put on my old trainers and hadn't laced them tightly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Thanks for the supporting info

Quote:
Yes that's what I've found too. It's more of an occupation tax and is paid by whoever lives in the property not necessarily the owner.

FYI this is one walk around Alan's home base that I really love

Great Ayton - Roseberry Topping - Captain Cook's Monument - Kildale

and here's a photo of Great Ayton...next village over from Guisborough i took last November
On our way back today we decided that our next walk will be the Cleveland Way in the other direction ending up at Captain Cook's monument, then walk into Great Ayton for lunch and catch the bus home.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
The real question is if Alan likes "mushy peas" ...

It keeps me from going back, although DW/me attended "Love Never Dies" (follow up to Fathom) in the West End last June (followed by a bite to eat at a bistro near the theatre, where my DW was served - and loved, the therefore mentioned gastric abnormality).

A wonderful county, although (forgive me) I enjoy the "north county" (e.g. Scotland) a bit more. However, regardless of the country, I still hate those damed "roundabouts", along with mushy peas ...
Oh yes, I love mushy peas

I also love peas pudding - hot, cold or in the pan 3 days old.

We have a great butcher here just 10 minute walk away who does lovely peas pudding and also fantastic pies and cold cut meats. So, I've already had steak & kidney pie and mushy peas, plus sandwhiches made with ham and peas pudding
Old 03-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:

We have a great butcher here just 10 minute walk away who does lovely peas pudding and also fantastic pies and cold cut meats. So, I've already had steak & kidney pie and mushy peas, plus sandwhiches made with ham and peas pudding
OK, you're on my ignore list (just kidding)....
Old 03-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Car tax - under 1549cc Ł125/year ($200), over 1600cc $205/year ($328)
However, we are not buying a car for this stay, just using public transport and we'll hire a car only when we need to on special occaisions.

Hey.... looks like an opportunity to buy a car with a 1550 to 1599cc and pay nothing

But I bet yours is a typo....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #52

Quote:

Alan, you have to go to Petches in Great Ayton for the pork pies and black pudding. The pudding is really good and instead of being the usual sausage it comes in big square blocks. Go early to get the best choice. The chippy just a few doors down is good too.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
black pudding.
Another "delight" of DW. Where do you crazy people dream this stuff up?

Hey, and I enjoy steak tartare (with a bottle of Cote de Rhone), so I'm not "immune" to strange foods.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
OK, you're on my ignore list (just kidding)....
I'd better not mention how much I love haggis. When we lived in Scotland our local fish & chip shop sold them deep fried in batter, and the canteen at work had sliced, pan fried, haggis available for breakfast every day.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Hey.... looks like an opportunity to buy a car with a 1550 to 1599cc and pay nothing

But I bet yours is a typo....
oops - that was a typo, the higher tax kicks in at >1549. 1600cc was a very common engine size so the cut off was set to catch those.

Quote:
Alan, you have to go to Petches in Great Ayton for the pork pies and black pudding. The pudding is really good and instead of being the usual sausage it comes in big square blocks. Go early to get the best choice. The chippy just a few doors down is good too.
Good tips, I'll let you know what we do. Next couple of days look like rain so it won't be for a few days yet.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #56

FYI

D Petch Butchers - Great Ayton

http://www.flickr.com/photos/suttonarms/5459353269/
Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #57
Administrator

Thanks for the links. as it happens, our closest butcher here gets all his pies from Petch in Great Ayton, so I don't have far to go to sample those pork pies you mentioned.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

What, no bangers & mash or bubble & squeak?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #59
gone traveling

Quote:
I'd better not mention how much I love haggis.
So do I, with a pint of St. James's best (Guiness Stoudt)

Sorry, still hate the peas (mushy or otherwise)...
Old 03-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What, no bangers & mash or bubble & squeak?
Definitely. DW made bubble & squeak the other day, and we had fantastic bangers from the local butchers - apple & pork, and chives and pork. He has another couple of varieties that we have yet to have. We also had another English favorite from that butcher, a lamb shank that had been marinated in mint sauce and was superb on Sunday, roasted and served with veggies and Yorkshire puddings.

OMG, it is the Wednesday weigh-in tomorrow. I just hope all this walking is burning off all this food.