Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for a condo/apartment/house to rent in southern Florida this March.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:01 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Looking for a condo/apartment/house to rent in southern Florida this March.

We've looked in Craigslist. A lot of the places are super pricey, and you don't know exactly what you're getting. Stayed at the Palace in Myrtle Beach last March. It looked OK on the Web but it was a real dump.

Any advice or specific recommendations would be welcome. A place near a beach would be the best.

Many thanks!
D

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Check out vrbo, vacationrentals, vrconnection. You are coming during spring break, so keep that in mind, most of the cheap accomodations will be filled with spring break kids and families. You may also want to look at renting a time share from the owner there are a lot of websites out there but I do not have any recommendations for which one to use.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where in South Florida are you considering ?
Old 01-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Check out vrbo, vacationrentals, vrconnection. You are coming during spring break, so keep that in mind, most of the cheap accomodations will be filled with spring break kids and families. You may also want to look at renting a time share from the owner there are a lot of websites out there but I do not have any recommendations for which one to use.

Thanks, I will check those out. I think we'd rather deal directly with the owner though. The private deals would probably be less expensive too.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Where in South Florida are you considering ?
Just about anywhere. Being near a big city or town would probably be preferable though. Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Key West, Naples, etc.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougieB View Post
Thanks, I will check those out. I think we'd rather deal directly with the owner though. The private deals would probably be less expensive too.
At least with vrconnection and vacationrentals you do deal directly with the owner, once you fill in the referral on the website. Many of the home owners have their contact information on the listing as well, so you don't even have to fill in the online referral if you do not want to.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
At least with vrconnection and vacationrentals you do deal directly with the owner, once you fill in the referral on the website. Many of the home owners have their contact information on the listing as well, so you don't even have to fill in the online referral if you do not want to.
Thanks for the tip. I've been finding some interesting things on vacationrentals. Will checkout the other one soon!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougieB View Post
Thanks for the tip. I've been finding some interesting things on vacationrentals. Will checkout the other one soon!
craigslist is worth a look also...
Old 02-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #9

There may be some resources that you could rely on searching an apartment. You could try to find the local directory on southern Florida and find some information there.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #10

If Siesta Key on the beach interests you, check out this website and availability calendar.

Siesta 4-Rent - Properties
Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #11

I go to the Sarasota area each year but I would expect this to apply to all Florida vacation rental areas. Since a rental is a perishable item, deals can be had when you are within the 60-day window. Owners, not management firms, will negotiate discounts as the rental window approaches. Research the locations and choose which ones interest you, contact the owners to start a dialog, and balance the price with your level of risk. I have been able to find deals that are more reasonable. I once kept a reservation at a Motel6 in my pocket just incase I was without a room for a day or so but never had to use it. I once even rented a coach in a 55+ park for a month when I was there for just 2 weeks because it was less cash and I liked the environment. Remember to include all the costs rental, taxes, phone, cleaning, parking, HOA registration, .