Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL.....you can get exactly what you are looking for at Ko Olina in Oahu. This is a magical place. Google it for some amazing information. I could write a book on just Ko Olina referring to your message......

Koolau....You are right on.....I lived in Kona and Maui before settling in on Oahu....there are so many places you can go on Oahu and think you are on an outer Island....I can't agree with you more...when my "A" list friends come to town they never leave Oahu and remember the trip for as long as they live.....

Kimo

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

PS, Koolau supplied a ling to a guide book...don't hesitate...those of you thinking of coming to Hawaii, just buy it, excellent recommendation....and still go online to check out Ko Olina.
Kimo

Old 08-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
LOL.....you can get exactly what you are looking for at Ko Olina in Oahu. This is a magical place. Google it for some amazing information. I could write a book on just Ko Olina referring to your message......
Thanks for the pointer. The web site looks nice, but is particularly uninformative to the point of trying very hard to hide information like how much a condo costs per night. It almost seems like if you have to ask how much it might cost, then you shouldn't bother to go there. That's kinda like scam web sites.

But at least I know such a place exists on Oahu now. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL, Here is a kink to some pricing Oahu Vacation Packages | Oahu Hotel Deals
This is a package and I have seen a room only price for less, although not a lot less. I will not try and pretend it is cheap, you can find cheap in Waikiki but I wouldn't come to stay there unless you have a lot of kids and they like the hustle and bustle and activities. There is also another Marriot besides this one that is time shares and I see a lot of rentals on the VRBO.com website. Those come with a kitchen so you won't have to eat out three times a day.....let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to let you know whatever knowledge about Hawaii I know.........
Old 08-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

PS. If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page I sent the link ti it goes down to 201 per night...
Old 08-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I paid $200 a night at the Sheraton Waikiki in June. But that was a hotel. I am interested in the beachfront stand-alone condos. From the link, there are "5 resorts" at Ko Olina ranging from hotels to whatever.

I prefer something closer to this: Ko Olina Vacation Rental - VRBO 274766 - 2 BR West Oahu Condo in HI, August Special! Luxury Ocean View Condo-Only Steps to Beach! although it is not quite beachfront nor is the condo a stand-alone house like the Wailea Elua Villas
Old 08-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, this is the first hotel allowed to be built on a Hawaiian beach in 25 years. My wife and I looked into buying a unit here. It is kind of tricky, there are three buildings and one is right on the grass/beach. The views from those end units are unbelievable. Some of the ones in the rear building aren't anywhere near as cool. This is a really great (and expensive) condo!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
IMO the ONE thing everyone should do in the Islands is visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial. It is FREE, so don't pay anyone to take you there (if you don't have a car, you can take THE BUS). BUT, get there early to get the FREE pass out to the actual memorial (shuttle boat is by the US NAVY).
PM me if you have questions.
I always recommend to folks to go to Pearl Harbor on the first morning you are there. The time lag will ensure you will be getting up in time!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Unless you just met or are newlywed 9 days is a long time on any one island. On all the islands except Honul, the main idea is just to relax and lay on the beach, Sightseeing not much, I have been to all islands about 10 times.
History, sightseeing, good places to eat, and beach on Honul, the rest of the islands best to stay at a resort.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Dogman........I dunnno.......I came in 1980 and never left.....
Old 11-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Spend a day in Honolulu, and the rest of your time on the big island. Rent a car and fly to Hilo. Stay in locally owned hotels. There is a family owned chain with hotels in Hilo and Kona. Swim with the sea turtles in Hilo and go to their farmers market. Visit Kens pancake House for their famous Hawaiian breakfast. Drive west and circle the island counter clockwise. See the observatory- you will feel like you are on the moon. Visit cowboy country and the beach at Kona. Visit Kona Brewery. Drive south and hike a volcano at the national park. Go deep sea fishing for Mahi Mahi. Visit black beaches. Eat tons of ceviche. Take a boat tour to the active volcano, and visit the lava flows. There is plenty on the big island to keep you busy a week.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Stay at Maui Four Seasons. Gotta do it once. Then, probably, go back to work.