Looks like I'm going to Alaska!

Kaudrey, you are building a great trip, Kenai is wonderful and Seward is one of the most striking places I've seen. It is so cool how abruptly the terrain changes.

Thanks for the continued input! I booked my flights because I'm using FF miles to get there and I wanted to make sure I had something. I can change them later as needed if I want to stay longer for $75 (booked for 2 weeks apart). I figured that was worth it.

I am doing the land portion after the cruise because the cruise is from Vancouver to Whittier.

Question: I was originally thinking I'd use public transportation from Whittier to Seward, tour around there, train to Anchorage, and then pick up car for Denali. Anyone know how it is getting to Seward from Whittier, and then around Seward without a car? I want to go to Exit Glacier for hiking and will probably stay in cabins or campgrounds. If I get a car right away, I think I have to go to Anchorage to do that anyway...

Thanks,
Karen

Karen,

Just wanted to pop into this thread and say that I hope you have a great trip!

2Cor521

Thanks for the continued input! I booked my flights because I'm using FF miles to get there and I wanted to make sure I had something. I can change them later as needed if I want to stay longer for $75 (booked for 2 weeks apart). I figured that was worth it.

I am doing the land portion after the cruise because the cruise is from Vancouver to Whittier.

Question: I was originally thinking I'd use public transportation from Whittier to Seward, tour around there, train to Anchorage, and then pick up car for Denali. Anyone know how it is getting to Seward from Whittier, and then around Seward without a car? I want to go to Exit Glacier for hiking and will probably stay in cabins or campgrounds. If I get a car right away, I think I have to go to Anchorage to do that anyway...

Thanks,
Karen

Karen:

Have you thought about taking the train from Anchorage to Denali? It is really quite a nice trip and you won't have the hassles of driving all that way.

Thanks,
Karen

Karen, you can take the train from Whittier to Anchorage and Anchorage to Seward. Or there is likely a shuttle. I know there is a shuttle from Anchorage to Seward. But it sounds like you need a car if you're going hiking and staying in campgrounds. The drive to Seward is fabulous and you'll want to stop here and there along the way.

If you can, take the train from Anchorage to Denali. It is wonderful! One of my favorite highlights.

My sister and & took a Royal Caribbean cruise along the Inside Passage in 2004, and it was spectacular. We took just the cruise, no land tour except what we did in port. We saw MANY bald eagles, whales, harbor seals, even grizzly bears along the coast. The ship goes very close to the coast, so you have a great view of the countryside, plus a very smooth ride (I get seasick!).

We were there in June around the Summer Solstice, so it never really got dark...very interesting!

Have a great time, and take LOTS of film/data card space!

Back
Top Bottom