Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I use a backpack, but I don't check it in as airline baggage. It's a small backpack that I keep by my feet on the plane. And I keep it on my lap on trains, shuttle bus, etc. I take it work, hiking, etc - I use it a lot. It still looks like new, but I haven't been caught in a storm yet. I don't wrap it or seal it with anything- just keep it with me at all times.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I don't like rollbehinds, I usually walk to the train to reach the airport and Seattle sidewalks will ruin the suspension of these before I complete one trip- or cause me to wear myself out wrestling with the things bouncing and twisting behind me, not to mention clobbering my ankles. Long handles have too much negative leverage. Shorter handles mangle the ankles.
On a recent visit to Seattle I was shocked at the poor condition of the sidewalks. Some of them looked as if they had been left undisturbed following a 7.0 earthquake. Pieces of concrete were projecting upwards at 30-45 degree angles from the horizontal. A nightmare for suitcase pullers, wheelchair and walker users, and a major tripping hazard.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
On a recent visit to Seattle I was shocked at the poor condition of the sidewalks. Some of them looked as if they had been left undisturbed following a 7.0 earthquake. Pieces of concrete were projecting upwards at 30-45 degree angles from the horizontal. A nightmare for suitcase pullers, wheelchair and walker users, and a major tripping hazard.
You are right on all counts, except the quake was a 6.8, the 2001 Nisqually quake. The other main problem is our tree hugging- I think you went up to Volunteer Park. North Capitol Hill has blocks of heaved up slabs of concrete, pushed up by the roots of giant maples. Also right about tripping hazard- a few years ago I was hustling along in the dark about 1am, and caught my foot on one of those upthrusts and went down -bam! my ribcage on the edge of another one. My R ribs hurt like hell, but I was familiar with the feeling of broken ribs, and these didn't make the cut. I was feeling fine in a few days

Ha
Old 11-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesq View Post
If you sign up for clothing e-mails from amazon you can get 20% off a one time purchase of up to 1k of clothing and luggage. I used this trick to get a briggs & riley carry on (verb fuse, small but love it). Some of the spendy brands can get really, spendy.
Good tip. We also need to upgrade luggage.

Seams are starting to rip, and the shapes of our current luggage are not optimal.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think I will buy this rollup garment bag mentioned above for this use. A few trips and I will have recouped my investment in the bag by saved baggage charges. Currently I only need a suit for weddings or funerals, but I do need it in my family for these events.

o carrying loads on my back, not to dragging them along behind me.

Ha
since I don't travel for business anymore, I use my skyroll garment bag mostly for taking fancy dinner clothes on cruises. That way they are separate from my regular travel case (which is a Rick Steves no wheel bag with backstraps and a handle.)

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

As well as a backpack, we use one of these:

https://www.armynavydeals.ca/asp/pro...3in%20x%2030in

Also, from the same supplier, for the laptop, paperwork, this one:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
It sounds like a couple of folks, Sarah in SC and haha specifically, use backpacks for travel luggage.

And, it sounds like Sarah in SC has found a solution to my problem with this; but, I am not sure it is reproducible: I would like to find or make some kind of bag to wrap my backpack to avoid damage and general grime when checking with an airline, tying to the top of a bus, etc. Currently, I am using a laundry bag; but, these are flimsy and must be replace fairly often.

What do others use for this purpose?
Years ago REI sold canvas packs that often had waterproof covers that could be fitted. I haven't seen anything like this in a long time. Here is a bike-messenger pack that is rainproof that I see around here often, being used by people both on bikes and walking. I've seen huge grocery and wine loads put into one of these, and the guy still getting in on his back and walking out. It's made for messengers, who really need to keep their cargo dry.

When the weather gets rough I have a WW2 rubberized Swiss Mountain pack that is very well made, and totally rainproof. Leather rigging. It is heavy. I bought it at the Army/Navy Store down on First Avenue at Lenora.

Ortlieb Velocity Cycling Backpack - Free Shipping at REI.com

Ha
Old 11-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Eagle Creek Switchback

We bought something like this (maybe even this one - if not, very similar) when we went to Europe a couple of years ago:

Eagle Creek Switchback 22 Wheeled Convertible Luggage - 22" - Free Shipping at REI.com

This is luggage with a removable backpack on it. It is a carryon. We wanted something we could bring on the plane. If we had a regular bag and a separate backpack then we couldn't have anything else basically. By doing this, it counted as one bag and then I could have another bag if I wanted.

Also, once we were there we zipped off the backpack and could take it with us on walking activities. Worked really great.

It was also convenient to easily wheel around and only having to wheel around one piece of luggage per person. I saw some people trying to wheel around large traditional suitcases or trying to wheel around 2 bags and they really struggled.

This wasn't terribly expensive and so if it does break I won't feel too much angst about it. That said, 2 1/2 years later it still works fine.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Cool change, i might check at an army surplus store for a sack like ours. They even have backpack straps (awkward and not comfy) that in a ouch you could put it on your back for a short distance, plus a big sturdy strap

Before we got these, we used sailbags, which were very sturdy, brightly colored, and durable, too. But not completely waterproof, if that's important. When we did that 1200 mile trip on the Mototaxi in Peru, I had to cover them in trash bags when there was rain or snow blowing on us. We still have them, and use for stuffing the tent and sleeping bags into when we are camping.

Good luck in your search though, because I know just what your dilemma is all about!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently, when I travel for pleasure, I am visiting large cities and I like to stay near the major sites which are usually in the city center and I only use public transportation. My main bag, which I check, is a very sturdy garment bag with 2 wheels with a reasonably long handle. It's from Eddie Bauer and it has held up well for over 10 years, but I have never been a road warrior. Since I am staying in one place for the week, the garment bag gets unpacked at the hotel. Otherwise, I've found that it's kind of a PITA to use for work trips where I am hopping from one city to the next. My carryon is a backpack which I stuff full for the flight, but then use as a daypack while I'm site seeing.

This setup works pretty well. The garment bag holds enough clothes for a full week (summer weather usually) so I don't need to do laundry during my trip and I can carry or roll it between the airport, trains, and hotel while wearing my backpack on my back! For a longer trip I will either need to get a bigger bag or plan on doing laundry, which is what Rick Steves advises. Since I am still working, I will be sticking with shorter trips for the near future. I guess the point of my post would be to consider how you will be traveling before you buy your new luggage.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I would like to find or make some kind of bag to wrap my backpack to avoid damage and general grime when checking with an airline, tying to the top of a bus, etc. Currently, I am using a laundry bag; but, these are flimsy and must be replace fairly often.

What do others use for this purpose?
You could get a plain duffel bag from REI or other sources.

One thing I noticed with the nicer roller-boards (especially the larger ones that are checked in) is that they are heavy and significantly eat into the 50lb weight limit (I think the one I already have from costco is 15-20lbs). I don't need to buy any luggage but weight will be a major criteria in my next purchase.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #32

We usually buy our luggage from yard sales. Our latest favorites are the hard shell samsonite. For 10 bucks can't beat it. Just bought another hard shell for 2 bucks this weekend. We always buy roll behind bags. Luggage lasts us a few years, gave up on buying new because of the wear and tear of travelling on bags (spending a few hundred bucks on a quality bag, only to have it damaged on first international trip was enough).
Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #33

I noticed this site on-line and was wondering if anyone has purchased a bag from eBags
eBags - Shop Bags and Accessories - Free Shipping - eBags.com

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

My post included reference to my EBags maximum sized convertible carryon. A well-made bag for a good price. I also use their small organizer bags.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I noticed this site on-line and was wondering if anyone has purchased a bag from eBags
eBags - Shop Bags and Accessories - Free Shipping - eBags.com
Yup. We bought three of their convertible bags, soft side bags that are at the max carryon size for most airlines, and have a backside zippered section that holds two padded shoulder straps and the belly band. I used these on a family trip, wearing one on the back, and carrying DD's bag, while DW had the other one. It's the Weekender eTech model.

I found them big enough to hold everything I need for extended vacations, so I usually travel with just the convertible bag and a small 'personal' bag/pouch.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Yup. We bought three of their convertible bags, soft side bags that are at the max carryon size for most airlines, and have a backside zippered section that holds two padded shoulder straps and the belly band. I used these on a family trip, wearing one on the back, and carrying DD's bag, while DW had the other one. It's the Weekender eTech model.

I found them big enough to hold everything I need for extended vacations, so I usually travel with just the convertible bag and a small 'personal' bag/pouch.
Identical to mine. I wanted something that could make a decent backpack, but also had a little bit more organization than my giant mess of a top opening pack. It is a nice bag, and exactly what we wanted. Glad yours have worked out as well.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Sarah, could you link exactly which pack you buy? These would be an improvement over my current gear.

Ha
Old 11-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Sure, here you go. And you can get sales at Ebags by signing up for their emails. There's always some kind of sale going on. I think I wound up getting mine for around $50 or so.
eBags Mother Lode TLS Weekender Convertible - Handbags.com

Mine's the pretty green one.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Mine's the pretty green one.
That's one way to make sure no one wants to steal it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
As well as a backpack, we use one of these:

https://www.armynavydeals.ca/asp/pro...3in%20x%2030in

Also, from the same supplier, for the laptop, paperwork, this one:

I'll be danged! Here's my awesome cover for our backpacks. Hey, look, you can get your own right here on Nemo's link!

https://www.armynavydeals.ca/asp/pro...?SKU=2484&ST=2

It is really an awesome cover/carry sack for a big backpack. Yay! Coolchange!