Luggage strategy for European trip

Our experience in Europe is that sometimes the budget airlines are not the bargain they appear once one adds in all the extra charges.

In some instances we have found the majors to be a better option. The challenge is that the majors often do not fly to where some of the budget airlines go.

We have spent the last few winters in Asia and we often go to Europe in the fall. We have switched to international size carry on. Slightly smaller though no one has ever measured. They do weigh from time to time. Most of the limits seem to be 7KG, with a few variations on either side.

In Greece they routinely measured as well as weighed. I thought 8 kg was tough, but hats off to anyone who can travel on a multi-month trip with only 7 kg!

We never had our bag measured or weighted on our Aegean Air flights. We have found this practice patchy on several airlines. Sometimes they do, sometimes not.

My bag is typically 9-10Kg. If they are weighing the carry on I simply shift the smaller, heavier items to an over the shoulder nylon bag that we use as a day bag or a beach bag.

We never had our bag measured or weighted on our Aegean Air flights. We have found this practice patchy on several airlines. Sometimes they do, sometimes not.

My bag is typically 9-10Kg. If they are weighing the carry on I simply shift the smaller, heavier items to an over the shoulder nylon bag that we use as a day bag or a beach bag.

We flew Sky Express several times and they did measure and weigh. Also some airlines we flew (Transavia comes to mind) did not allow both a carry-on and a personal item. One or the other, but not both, so not an option to move a heavy item to another bag.

My point is that it’s key to check the specific policies of each airline as there are significant differences. I was very glad we did not try to carry everything on in Greece as we couldn’t have kept it to 8 kg each.

We have found a large variance between airlines that have strict rules and those that actually weigh them. We tend to avoid Ryanair and Easyjet. Never had our carry on weight on Vueling, Air Malta, Agean, or any of the national carriers. We did see some ladies who were not allowed to take multiple shopping bags filled with Murano glassware on to a Lufthansa flight though. I think that it is often simply the luck of the draw. We always assume that we will be checked and pack accordingly.

The very same in SE Asia. We have done at least 15 AirAisa flights and only had our bag weighed once. Even then they allowed a 1KG overage. Same on Nok and Jetstar.

Most hotels charge by the piece, like for even simple things like shirts, underwear, socks.

Few will just charge by weight.

We’re not talking dry cleaning fine garments, just everyday wear.

You have to find a place which will wash and fold by weight or a laundromat as a last resort.

We have never had a problem finding a laundry or laundromat that will charge by weight and fold/press. Not in Europe and certainly not in SE Asia.

When we were in Palermo, Sicily a few years ago our B&B host did not seem to know of any places. We googled it and found a place a kilometre away-no problem. And the owner spent 25 years on a fishing boat in the Boston area.

We always just was a few undergarments every few days in the sink. In warm weather vacations we are usually in sandals so no or few socks or undershirts to wash. I almost never have had to wash a shirt for a 1 month vacation. Generally take 3 or 4 short sleeve patterned wash and wear shirts that don't wrinkly a lot. I don't wear tight fitted shirts so they don't get smelly. :angel::rolleyes:

Same here. Leaving next week. I expect that at the most I will pack three shirts. Wear another, with a light sweater over it, jeans and a light waterproof shell to get to the airport and leave behind the cold and snow. I won't wear the jeans again until the next long flight or on our return journey home.

We each travel with a carry on. At some point we empty one, fill it with clothes, and take it to the laundry-self serve or otherwise. In Europe we have had some very good travel tips, and have had the opportunity to exchange books, simply by having coffee or beers in the cafe opposite the laundromat whilst our clothes go round and round. Invariably we meet people, often Australians, who have recently been to where we are going on our next stop.

We only go with carry on. Seven days or seven weeks. But I realize that this does not work for everyone. I have a 20" Eagle Creek, spouse has a 20" Rick Steves. Sometimes DW will put a few items in my bag as I usually have a bit of extra room. I used to carry a small backpack for book and ipad but I ditched this. Spouse has a big purse. We keep a nylon shell of a bag in our suitcase for the beach/daybag or in case we are concerned about being overweight. More than once I have put things in and carried over my shoulder if I thought the airline was really going to weigh AND I thought that one of us (guess who) had an overweight bag. It can handle 1.5-2Kg in a pinch. When we got serious about carry on only we started with bag instead of what we thought we wanted to pack. That made us prioritize (and focus).

I think that you should consider how you travel. If you are doing trains, rental cars, ferry, etc. you will be lifting suitcases-especially on trains. We also rent a small car so we either need a trunk or more often we get a liftback. Our bags fit comfortably and are not visible to the outside when we rent a Fiat Panda!

Hotels? We stay at all sorts. B&B's, apts, higher end. Will you be staying somewhere where you may have to carry your bags up two or three flights of stairs?

Will you be going from airport to hotel or might you be carrying you bags over uneven pavement or cobblestones. If it is the latter, forget the 4 wheel jobs and stick with a roller with 2 very good inline wheels.

If you are using discount airlines in Europe be aware that the size restrictions are slightly smaller for carry on (20") and the weight restriction is typically in the 7 or 8 KG (16-18LBS).

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] I couldn’t agree more!

Revisiting this thread for a review and update.

Just got back from a trip to the southwest. We had DW's new Eagle Creek 4 wheeler 26 inch and my 2 wheeler carry on (which I checked in). I was impressed with the Eagle Creek as it has very sturdy wheels that would work for the cases you might want a 2 wheeler for (like cobblestones).

So I'm thinking of buying an 4 wheeler Eagle Creek 26 inch currently on a sale price (see https://smile.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Tarmac-Luggage-Slate/dp/B01LXP2ZIR/ref=sr_1_3?crid=4CSWOF7FFPEF&keywords=eagle+creek+tarmac+26&qid=1558642898&s=gateway&sprefix=eagle+creek+tar%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-3 )

Our checked in bags were on the order of 28 pounds and so I think for us keeping the weight down is key and not so much the size issue. For a one month Italy trip we won't be doing flights other then to/from the US. I'll bring a small bag that we can carry on to hold essentials in case of baggage delays at the destination. Only has happened once to us. Also will use my ancient Rick Steves Civita day pack.

When we return from a longer trip we take note of what we did not wear, or wore only once or twice. This time, for me it was a shirt. So next time I will take one less. Last time I dropped some socks. We also note anything that we missed. It is a balancing act for us now. If we want to take something new then we have to make room in terms of space and weight. If we go to Thailand again this winter we will take a packet of instant decaf for dw.

Two weeks ago DW flew to see her family for a week. She was quite PO'd that she was asked to check her carry on roller. She had not checked a bag in 8 years of frequent travel other than gate checking on the smaller jets and puddle jumpers. No issue on the return flight.

Last edited:
I posted a review on the Eagle Creek Gear Warrior International that I bought here: http://www.early-retirement.org/for...load-warrior-or-steves-87619.html#post2218103

Here's a link to the Eagle Creek on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFKD9KL/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since then, I've taken the same bag for a 3 week trip to Europe and it worked great. Always as carry-on and no issues with budget European airlines. I was able to keep the weight around 8-10kg.

I prefer two wheels and the design perfect luggage for the way I travel: one big main compartment and then a smaller front compartment. The front compartment is padded for a tablet, even though I bought an extra small Eagle Creek backpack for that purpose (it fits a 13" laptop). This also helps me keep weight down in the luggage, since I can put heavier items in the backpack.

Brett, I was also worried that I'd have to check-in my luggage on a short flight between Warsaw and Vienna. It was a smaller plane and they explained to me that the luggage is loaded/unloaded from the tarmac. Everybody takes the same bus to/from the plane, so you even though they take your luggage, you get it back immediately after you land and before you get on the bus. That was a relief, since at this point, I'd hate having to check luggage.

Back
Top Bottom