Join Early Retirement Today

Maldives: Great for being ridiculed I guess...
Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maldives: Great for being ridiculed I guess...

Has everyone seen this one? A Swiss couple went to renew their vows, but, if you watch this, you will see what an insulting mockery they were made of at their fake "ceremony"...and all for $1,300 for this. Good grief...here come the rich fools I guess they thought. Bad, bad, bad.

YouTube - Foreign couple mocked as "infidels" and "swine" throughout resort's 'wedding ceremony'

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like there might be some compensation coming their way....

It is probably not illegal.... so I bet the culprits will get away with it...

Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #3

I've always wanted to go there to see the whale sharks. Think I'll try the Mexican side of the Gulf of Mexico instead. At least the tourism officials are mortified.
BBC News - Maldives police to probe foul-mouthed wedding ceremony

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #4

The 'celebrant' who pulled this stunt has been arrested.
Police arrest ‘celebrant’ as President expresses disgust over false wedding ceremony*|*Minivan News

The President of the Maldives, Mohamed Nasheed, has apologized to the couple.
President apologises to Vilu Reef couple, invites back to Maldives*|*Minivan News

I suppose you can never quite tell what you're going to get when dealing with a language you don't understand. I was on a tour of English speakers in St. Petersburg several years ago in which the tour guide made some obscene but funny asides in Russian to the driver. Post tour, I slipped him a tip and thanked him; "Spasibo za interesnuyu ekskursiyu." The expression was priceless. (I like to know a little of the local language, enough to say Thank You at least, before going on a trip. Sometimes I know a little more...)
Old 11-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #5

I speak fluent Dutch, and it's always interesting to listen to what some Dutch people are saying, out loud, when they don't think anyone can understand them. For some reason this seems to happen quite a bit in restaurants (maybe that's just where I notice Dutch people, in my touristy part of the world). If they've particularly "impressed" me I will sometimes wish them "prettige voortzetting" as I leave. If they drop any cutlery at that moment, I score extra points.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #6

My thoughts on this topic go back to the 70s when the boat people were moving in to the DC metro area. Many churches started having signs in Vietnamese on their marquees. I used to tell people I spoke Vietnamese and the signs all said "Kill the Yankee running dogs". Doing my part for a peaceful and diverse America.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #7

I don't know about the Maldives. But I think we do a pretty good job on ourselves.

YouTube - Is Obama A Keynesian? Rally For Sanity, 10/30/10
Old 11-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't know about the Maldives. But I think we do a pretty good job on ourselves.

YouTube - Is Obama A Keynesian? Rally For Sanity, 10/30/10
This proves beyond a doubt that if you want a sane answer, question an old man.

Ha
Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #9

It is unfortunate that this has marred the reputation of a country.

Friends of mine visited the Maldives and had a great time. But for me, it just doesn't make sense to go halfway around the world to hang out on a palm tree lined beach when I can do that in the Caribbean.

If you want to visit, hurry. Rising ocean levels are drowning the place.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like my wedding ceremony. I have no clue what the officiant was saying/chanting.

Money is the Root of All Good.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #11

Nor at mine, Fuego, and it was in Episcopalian!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Nor at mine, Fuego, and it was in Episcopalian!
The only part I remember was "Thanks bee to Gaaawwd."
Old 11-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post

Friends of mine visited the Maldives and had a great time. But for me, it just doesn't make sense to go halfway around the world to hang out on a palm tree lined beach when I can do that in the Caribbean.

I was there about 6 years ago (on business in India, and took a 1 week side-trip to the Maldives). It's really a gorgeous place, and all locals that I came into contact with were very nice. The real draw is (or was) the scuba diving, which at one point was among the best in the world. Apparently the reefs in the area have been badly bleached over the last 15 years, which has diminished its appeal as a diving spot.

Judging by the planefuls of European tourists we went through customs with, it's a very popular vacation spot for folks on the Continent. The local guy working the bar at the resort told us that he'd worked there for 4 years, and we were the first American guests he'd met. Given that it took it me a full 40 hours to get there from California, that's no real surprise.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post

+1