Join Early Retirement Today

Mammoth Cave..........
Old 02-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mammoth Cave..........

As part of our early April trip to SC, we decided to stop at Mammoth Cave. My kids are 9 and 7. Any suggestions as to which tour would give us the biggest bang for the buck?

We will have limited time, as we will be driving down starting early in the morning, and will not arrive until 1:00 pm or so. We are staying the night and finishing the drive to SC the next day.

Thanks.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We did the Mammoth cave thing like 20 years ago and went on the 1 1/2 hour tour thing that was only a mile or so but was fascinating. I remember the park service turning out the lights in the grand ballroom and then throwing a kerosene lit rag way up into an inaccessible part of the cave to light it up. I think for my part, the best part of the trip was over to the GM Corvette plant (that was free at the time but perhaps GM has to charge now?. Have fun.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We took the basic 2 hour tour which was more than enough.

As Larry says, the vette factory tour is interesting, especially if you own a vette or just want to see a car factory. It is 5 bucks and you need to reserve a slot on their website. If you go, take them serious about what you can't take into the factory. List on website. Just goggle corvette factory. About a 1/2 mile away is the National Corvette Museum.
Bowling Green has a huge flea market if you are into that.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Apologize I can't remember which entrance we used was about 4 years ago with kids then 7 & 10 as already posted I think it was about 1 1/2 hours. I thought it was worthwhile.
If you're coming from the North the Jim Beam distillery was so impressive I had my wife take on the driving when we left.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Your arrival time of approx. 1:00PM will very much determine what is available to you IIRC. The longer tours obviously start earlier in the day so you will probably be restricted to a shorter tour. I'm guessing you can get info from the Web on MC. If not, get their number and call for info and maybe reservations.

Overall, MC is a great "kids" stop if you don't over do it.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We went on one of the "lantern" tours of a side cave. Far fewer people and a lot more natural cave. There were only a couple kids on the tour, but they seemed to really love the lanterns we had to carry.
FurBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I went to Mammoth Cave when I was 8 or 9 it was pretty cool (and dark and damp ).

I am curious to see how video generation reacts to such an experience.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #8

We went last year. Took a 2 day trip from Columbus, OH. Very nice the guide was really good and it was very interesting. I had been there when I was a kid about 10 years old but really did not remember much about it from that visit. Frankly, could not remember why we never went there when we were stationed at Fort Knox. I guess the kids went on school trips.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Marrowbone on Rte 90 east of Mammoth Cave had (has?) a great barbecue place. The guy who barbecues also takes orders and serves. We pulled over after seeing all the pickup trucks and cable company trucks etc in the parking lot. Nothing fancy - just picnic tables.
FurBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #10

I was there 12 years ago. But from what I remember the basic tour was fun. Holy cow when they turn out the lights. Pretty cool place. Kids will love it.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Made the reservation yesterday. We are staying ON the grounds of Mammoth Cave, at a place called the mammoth Cave Hotel. Its right on a walking trail in the park.

We are thinking of an evening tour. The kids are excited, DW has never been there, and I was there, but 25 years ago........

Should be a blast. My kids have already seen MORE in their short lives than DW has in her whole life. In the end, we both agree that just because OUR parents never took us anywhere, doesn't mean we have to follow in their footsteps.

Next year is Yellowstone, the year after we are going to Disney World........

Old 03-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #12

We are visiting Mammoth cave now. Arrived last night at Jelly Stone campground 4 miles from the park. Will be taking a tour today. DW and I have not been here in many years since we were kids. Hopefully the kids will like it.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
We are visiting Mammoth cave now. Arrived last night at Jelly Stone campground 4 miles from the park. Will be taking a tour today. DW and I have not been here in many years since we were kids. Hopefully the kids will like it.
PM on which tour you liked. I only have the afternoon/evening of the 10th to work with........

Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #14

PM sent and here is info for anyone else that might be interested. It is a fun trip for kids and if you like tour caves as we do it is a lot of fun. We spent three days there at a local campground, Jellystone, and it also is very good for kids. They have activities and movies for the kids each day.

Regarding cave tours for an afternoon only the New Entrance and Violet City are good. If you have time the Grand Avenue is excellent and the Historic is good. the Trog tour is really good for older kids.

Have fun. It is remote but lots of good trails also.