Join Early Retirement Today

Map tools/apps?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Map tools/apps?

Recently got home from a 5-week road trip.
All the paper maps have been marked up with routes & notes, but I would like to be able to do the same on an online map (or at least a computer-based map) that I could then share with others.

Anybody know of such?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Google Maps works pretty well for me.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Google Maps works pretty well for me.
Sure, I use it and Mapquest all the time for planning - but how do you mark up a route (like using a highlighter on a paper map), annotate with notes, then store it for future call-up & dissemination e.g. by e-mail?
Old 08-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
Sure, I use it and Mapquest all the time for planning - but how do you mark up a route (like using a highlighter on a paper map), annotate with notes, then store it for future call-up & dissemination e.g. by e-mail?
I have used Google Maps to do this, for example, to provide visitors with directions. I map the route, then print it (with notes) to a PDF, and email it to the recipients.

Triptiks are also worth a look if you are a member of AAA or CAA. You can print out a detailed itinerary.

Printing to a PDF means you have a permanent record that can be easily sent by email. Unfortunately it cannot be modified.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You can create your own custom map, adding markers and paths, save it, and share with other people via email. Sign in to your google account, open Maps, click on the search box at the top left, "my custom maps" should appear below the box, click on it and choose "create". At the top left, you should see a number of annotation tools (lines and markers). At the top right, you have a "share" button.

This is my 2014 hiking map for example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hiking 2.jpg (360.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/62843?hl=en
Custom Google maps
Old 08-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You can create your own custom map, adding markers and paths, save it, and share with other people via email. Sign in to your google account, open Maps, click on the search box at the top left, "my custom maps" should appear below the box, click on it and choose "create". At the top left, you should see a number of annotation tools (lines and markers). At the top right, you have a "share" button.

Thanks, this looks like what I want, but I haven't yet fully figured out how to use it.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #8

Like others above, I use Google Maps. Here's our Sept 2009 route from Il to Az. I plan on making a new map - DW wants to start fresh and hit all 50 states. Bobot - It's fairly easy once you get the hang of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 8.04.31 PM.jpg (499.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have used Google Maps to do this, for example, to provide visitors with directions. I map the route, then print it (with notes) to a PDF, and email it to the recipients.

Printing to a PDF means you have a permanent record that can be easily sent by email. Unfortunately it cannot be modified.
While FIREd's approach looks to be the best, I just wanted to point out that there are lots of ways to modify a pdf (first 'print to a file, rather than a printer). I have several programs that provide highlighters, markers, text boxes, etc, in an overlay, and then are all merged down into a single pdf.

Handy for signing a document w/o printing, scanning, or adding notes.

Xournal and Inkscape are two I use in Linux, not sure if these are cross-platform though, but there must be similar apps for Mac/Windows.

-ERD50
Old 08-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have not tried to convert pdfs myself, but I have used pdf trail maps [ eg usfs] maps that have had a gps "grid" applied to them and can then be used on a smartphone in the field.

These maps are converted using Adobe Acrobat 9, which has something called a " geospatial registration tool " to achieve the goal.

Downloading the free map reader Avenza to an iphone or android, this allows use of the converted map in a fashion similar to using an installed map app. like OSMand, for example.
You make your own custom map, and use it like a commercial proprietary gps map. You do need to search and view the maps prior to losing data connections in order to plant the maps in the phone's cache if you want to use them away from cell service.

The map files can be in a dropbox file for your friends to access.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Great! I am going to try this method.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I tried Google maps but found it far to sensitive and uncontrollable. The slightest twitch of the mouse and it starts mapping routes all over the place.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:51 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I tried Google maps but found it far to sensitive and uncontrollable. The slightest twitch of the mouse and it starts mapping routes all over the place.
When moving to a different part of the map while creating a path for example, I just move the cursor slowly toward the edge of the screen. If you go too fast, then you get all over the place. It just requires some getting used to. And it may be system-specific.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When moving to a different part of the map while creating a path for example, I just move the cursor slowly toward the edge of the screen. If you go too fast, then you get all over the place. It just requires some getting used to. And it may be system-specific.
Perhaps I need to adjust my mouse sensitivity.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't draw much when doing this. You can add the next destination and route is drawn for you. It takes some patience to learn the toolbox.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #16

i used to take line/point data out of GPS and CAD applications and export a KML file and bring into Google Maps/ Google Earth. The Google maps interface looks different than a few years ago, and I don't know if thats still possible. It did save a lot of time not having to draw the lines in Google Maps
Old 08-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out roadtrippers.com to plan and map road trips. Pretty cool site.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I like Galileo map app. You can use it without an Internet connection. Download maps at whatever detail you want to get real specific, if that's what you need. Uses gps to tell you where you are. Works great and no internet needed as long as you have the needed map already downloaded to your device. I use it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow thanks for the tip on Roadtrippers - it's great. Just what we can use!