Marine museum

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If anyone is traveling through Northern Virginia, there's a new Marine Corps Museum on I-95 outside of Quantico, 25 miles south of DC. Went there today, expecting a small nondescript museum. I was impressed with its size, its layout, its historical accuracy, and the audio-visual dioramas. Totally free by the way, except for the restaurant which is a bit pricey ($8 sandwiches). Also has a beer pub inside, after the original pub in Philadelphia that served as the first Marine recruiting spot. When you think about it, makes a lot of sense.

The Khe Sanh, Vietnam, experience is especially realistic, you walk through the body of a CH-46 helicopter into a realistic representation of the hot landing zone, even heated up so one feels the heat of the sun as well as the heat of battle. There's also a cooled down exhibit of the battle at Chosin Pass in the Korean highlands where the wind chill was about 50 below during the battle.

It's a great tribute to the Marine Corps and its traditions. It's also great for Air Force recruiting
smiley.gif

The National Museum of the Marine Corps and Heritage Center

... you walk through the body of a CH-46 helicopter ...

I would like to visit the museum. The CH-46 is still in service... I have flown on them many times. Semper Fi.
drill.gif

Thanks for the information.

I remember that got quite a writeup for its innovative exhibit designs.

I would like to visit the museum. The CH-46 is still in service... I have flown on them many times. Semper Fi.
Better go see it quick before the Army buys the fuselage for spare parts...

drill.gif

There's a lot of military history there. I was impressed by the story of the Inchon Marine landing that led to the recapture of Seoul in the Korean War. I knew that was a turning point in the war, but I didn't realize how risky it was. The entrance to the harbor is narrow, and there's no beaches, just seawalls with a 30 foot tidal range. The Navy ships had to squeeze in there, drop off the marines who ran the landing craft right up to the seawalls, turn about, and get out of there in a couple of hours before the tide ran out. The Marines then had to fight their way through fortified positions to get to Seoul. It was a small version of D Day. MacArthur was pretty lonely when he argued with the other commanders this was a good idea. When he was told there would be no possibility of surprise, he replied that he would surprise the enemy just because of that, the enemy would never think he would land Marines in a position with so little chance of surprise. Mmm...

Always thought highly of the Marine Corps but after visiting that museum I think of them even a little higher. Semper fi!

On my list of places to visit the next time we visit the 'rents. The trick is to avoid the mixing bowl at rush hour.

This was in today's Quantico paper. I think they're on to you
smiley.gif

Morph
Excellent, thanks!

A buddy of mine is retiring after 24 years that included a tour as a combat photographer with a Marine unit. I think he'll appreciate a framed copy of this...

Back
Top Bottom