Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
Grácias. Un poco de conozimiento es una cosa peligrosa. Es mejor decir que uno no sabe usar las teclas que saber usarlas y usarlas mal.
Exactly. Just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Qué bién, ahora puedo escribír en español con mis teclas.
Con mi teclado, no mis teclas.

Quote:
Ahora tengo que aprendér cuando debo usár acentos y cuando no los debo usár.
If you prepare a draft of what you want to say in MS word, it will add accents and enye during the spell check.

For regular typing I just use a spanish MS keyboard layout and switch back and forth as descrbed in the link Ha provided. Just remember that when sending documents and mail to others, they may see different characters - depending on how their keyboards are configured.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Con mi teclado, no mis teclas.

If you prepare a draft of what you want to say in MS word, it will add accents and enye during the spell check.
¡Fantástico! Ahora ni tengo que saber cómo usar los acentos o la ñ en español, porque Señor Gates me los pone. Pero si lo hago así no voy a aprender, pues voy a seguir haciéndolo a mano con mi teclado. !Ahora mis amigos Mejicano-Americanos me van a respetar más!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #24

Quote:
¡Fantástico! Ahora ni tengo que saber cómo usar los acentos o la ñ en español, porque Señor Gates me los pone.
Ese Bill es un buen tipo, ¿verdad? (En Mexico seria un buen cuate. En Venezuela, Colombia y Panama, un tipo chévere)

Quote:
Pero si lo hago así no voy a aprender, pues voy a seguir haciéndolo a mano con mi teclado. !Ahora mis amigos Mejicano-Americanos me van a respetar más!
Tus amigos te respetarán aun más si los llamas Mexicanos
Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Ese Bill es un buen tipo, ¿verdad? (En Mexico seria un buen cuate. En Venezuela, Colombia y Panama, un tipo chévere)

Tus amigos te respetarán aun más si los llamas Mexicanos
Pues, mis amigos Mexicanos son buenos cuates y su comida es sabrosa pero me arde la lengua. Y me dicen que los Panameños son chéveres, quizás pedrorerro nos lo puede verificar. En Puerto Rico, donde yo paso algunos meses al año, son buenos “manos.” Creo que viene de la palabra “”hermanos” pero no sé, porque ellos mesclan ingles con el español, y a veces dicen “bros.”

Ahora tengo otro entretenimiento para mi jubilacion, aprender español mejor. Debemos hacer un hilo para aprender y practicar la lengua de Cervantes y de Pancho Villa.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally Retired, your Spanish is quite good. There's a c ouple words there I don't know. Thanks for the tips. My gastro-intestinal tract can hardly wait to arrive in Panama!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedorrero View Post
Finally Retired, your Spanish is quite good. There's a c ouple words there I don't know. Thanks for the tips. My gastro-intestinal tract can hardly wait to arrive in Panama!
Thanks. For reasons I won't go into here, I learned it conversationally as a child, along with French, and also took it in school. I haven't used French for 40 years, and I hadn't used Spanish for 30 years before I started using it again, but only conversationally, not written. I'm pretty good at basic stuff, and am fluent enough to speak it with a native speaker, as long as we keep it at the 5th or 6th grade level. Come to think of it, most of the English we speak is also at that level.

Good luck in Panama!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Ahora tengo otro entretenimiento para mi jubilacion, aprender español mejor. Debemos hacer un hilo para aprender y practicar la lengua de Cervantes y de Pancho Villa.
I agree with pedorrero on your spanish - definitely above 5-6 grade.

I'm not sure "hilo" is the right term - but I'm stumped. I'm gonna ask my son - but it'll be a couple of days.

pedorrero - what is the origin of your name. Not prying so much as it has a very specific meaning for me and may be different for you - and I just wanna know...
Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not sure "hilo" is the right term - but I'm stumped. I'm gonna ask my son - but it'll be a couple of days.
Apparently "tema" (theme) is the spanish equivalent to thread in discussion forum (foro) speak.

Although the spanish english dictionary I just checked says hilo can also mean theme or thread of a discussion. Probably a literal translation from english to spanish that has entered into common usage?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Apparently "tema" (theme) is the spanish equivalent to thread in discussion forum (foro) speak.

Although the spanish english dictionary I just checked says hilo can also mean theme or thread of a discussion. Probably a literal translation from english to spanish that has entered into common usage?
Fuego, I'm not challenging you, hilo just didn't sound right. I'm not an expert or a translator, so what do I know?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fuego, I'm not challenging you, hilo just didn't sound right. I'm not an expert or a translator, so what do I know?
I wasn't taking it as a challenge. I was simply trying to find the right term for thread, and it looks like "tema" is in use on other internet forums. But the dictionary said hilo could mean thread of a discussion as well. I'm not a native speaker and not particularly fluent any more, so I don't have a good gut feeling for which word is used more often.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I wasn't taking it as a challenge. I was simply trying to find the right term for thread, and it looks like "tema" is in use on other internet forums. But the dictionary said hilo could mean thread of a discussion as well. I'm not a native speaker and not particularly fluent any more, so I don't have a good gut feeling for which word is used more often.
I just used that word off the top of my head as a literal translation of "thread." "Tema" sounds like a more proper word to use, but I suspect that, being an internet-related word, there is no correct word, just a matter of usage. That's a problem with many of these words, they come from the english and then have to adopted into spanish either literally or in the vernacular, so unless one frequents user groups in spanish there's no way to know what to use. Same with "mouse" as a computer mouse. The literal translation would be "ratón," but I doubt if they use that.

As far as my 5th or 6th grade spanish, that's what native speakers say I use, at least for my vocabulary. But if they understand me, I'm fine with that.

Edit: Look what I found, a guide to internet spanish:
http://www.lingolex.com/internet.htm

And whaddayaknow, they do use ratón for mouse. Thread is not on there, though.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

MichaelB: "pedorrero" was chosen originally for the Fool, due to my twisted humor. I produce a lot of hot air, and my opinions stink, so it fits. I also have tendencies to being a literal pedorrero, although I try to do it in private.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I also have tendencies to being a literal pedorrero, although I try to do it in private.
Any statement like this about a term starting with "pedo" sounds truly horrible man.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Talking

Quote:
I agree with pedorrero on your spanish - definitely above 5-6 grade.

pedorrero - what is the origin of your name. Not prying so much as it has a very specific meaning for me and may be different for you - and I just wanna know...
Just substitute "hijo" for "hilo" in the original sentence and then try to get your spouse on board with it:

Quote:
Debemos hacer un hijo para aprender y practicar la lengua de Cervantes y de Pancho Villa.
I recently used the phrase "hecho a mano" to someone I'm tutoring in ESL, and she burst out laughing as she thought I said "hecho a mono."
Old 04-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #36

Quote:
MichaelB: "pedorrero" was chosen originally for the Fool, due to my twisted humor. I produce a lot of hot air, and my opinions stink, so it fits. I also have tendencies to being a literal pedorrero, although I try to do it in private.
Thanks for answering. We're in sync. As for the latter, I have yet to meet anyone that does not fit that general description.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I recently used the phrase "hecho a mano" to someone I'm tutoring in ESL, and she burst out laughing as she thought I said "hecho a mono."
¡Hecho un mono y despues lo besé!