Join Early Retirement Today

Me voy a Panama
Old 04-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Me voy a Panama

This summer's first vacation will be up to a month in Panama. Although technically I can drive there, I booked r/t fare under $200 and parking at FLL is $7/day (well, two years ago it was ) I have heard a lot of good things about Panama as a retirement haven, so I am hoping to check out not just La Capital but also other areas (Boquete? David?) Any pointers helpful. I have ordered a recent travel guide and also "Choose Panama for Retirement" ... waiting for school to end and then to pack the bag. I spend all this time learning Spanish, now time to use it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds great! I know another couple who is heading down to Panama to see if they want to resettle there after retirement. Keep us posted!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #3

Hah we're heading down there in May. Planned route =

Panama City
(bus)
El Valle
(bus)
Boquete
(bus)
Bocas Del Toro
(plane)
Panama City

Airfares are great right now.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Where are you Panamaniacs planning to stay--are you making arrangements in advance?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #5

Looking at hotel/BB web sites in Panama it seems many are starting low season rates in May so shouldn't be a problem finding something open.

We've only made reservations for the first two nights in Panama City since arriving in the evening, will play trip by ear after that. Panama City we're staying at Hotel Milan $57/night if pay cash.

When we travel by the whim like this the usual strategy is when we're ready to hit the road we use internet cafe to research a good place to stay at our next location, usually with tripadvisor, Lonely Planet, and Moon.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedorrero View Post
I spend all this time learning Spanish, now time to use it.
Que hagas un buen viaje, y que encuentres lo que estas buscando en el bello pais de Panama. Cuando regreses, dejanos saber como te estuvo el viaje, y si Panama es buen sitio para uno jubilarse. Y sigue practicando el espanol. Perdoname, no se como poner los acentos y la "enye" con estas taclas.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
Que hagas un buen viaje, y que encuentres lo que estas buscando en el bello pais de Panama. Cuando regreses, dejanos saber como te estuvo el viaje, y si Panama es buen sitio para uno jubilarse. Y sigue practicando el espanol. Perdoname, no se como poner los acentos y la "enye" con estas taclas.
From an online translation site:

"That take a good trip, and that find what these seeking in the beautiful pies of Panama. When return, leave us to know as the trip was you, and if Panama is good place for one to be retired. And it continues practicing the espanol. You forgive me, itself not as to put the accents and the "enye" with these taclas."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

"That take a good trip, and that find what these seeking in the beautiful pies of Panama. When return, leave us to know as the trip was you, and if Panama is good place for one to be retired. And it continues practicing the espanol. You forgive me, itself not as to put the accents and the "enye" with these taclas."
I've heard those Panamanian pies are delicious. Hope he brings some back.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Mmm, empanadas--beautiful
Old 04-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #10

So anyone stoked about the zip line rides over/thru the jungle? The one in Boquete is supposed to be two miles long! Fun.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That online translator could be a lot better!

"[I hope] that you have a good trip, and find what you seek in the beautiful country of Panama. When you return, let us know how the trip was, and if Panama is a good place to retire. And continue practicing your Spanish.

Sorry, but I don't know how to produce ñ on these keyboards."

BTW years ago a buddy took me deer hunting in Panama. I preferred Panama to most of Central America. Panama is like the US in that it has a diverse population, including about the same % of African ethnics as the US. My understanding is that most of them came from the Carribean, rather than straight from Africa, mostly to help build railroads and other infrastructure.

El Ha
Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That online translator could be a lot better!

"[I hope] that you have a good trip, and find what you seek in the beautiful country of Panama. When you return, let us know how the trip was, and if Panama is a good place to retire. And continue practicing your Spanish.

Sorry, but I don't know how to produce ñ on these keyboards."
Hey, that's what I was trying to say Eres un buen traducidor (?) translador (?).
So how do you do that enye thing?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #13

Belize is like that too. Black people, hispanic people, and the rest looking like a distant cousin of Obama.

What's funny is there are a lot of Chinese that run the markets in many parts of Belize, and you sometimes come across Chinese kids who grew up in Belize so they speak English like Jamacians. It can be jarring to hear a "hey mon" from a little Chinese kid behind the cash register.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #14

Ha, how come you left out the part about pies?

Old 04-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ha, how come you left out the part about pies?
I eat low-carb; so pies are beneath my radar.

Quote:
Hey, that's what I was trying to say Eres un buen traducidor (?) translador (?).
So how do you do that enye thing?
If you use windows, you can make a few changes to your keyboard mapping that easily allow you to make all the Spanish accents. There are also a number of codes that are a bit more clumsy, but if you don't write Spanish often are all you need.

Keyboard mods: Typing Spanish Written Accents

Codes:

Spanish Characters on English Keyboard:

á alt 160
é alt 130
í alt 161
ó alt 162
ú alt 163

Á alt 0193
É alt 0201
Í alt 02505
Ó alt 0211
Ú alt 0218

Ñ alt 165
ñ alt 164

ü-alt129
Ü-alt 154
¿ alt 168
¡ alt 173

¼ alt 172
½ alt 171
º alt 167

If these don't work for you, you can google and find 4 digit codes also.

Ha
Old 04-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #16

Quote:
I eat low-carb; so pies are beneath my radar.
Ahhh. That would explain those episodes of grouchiness...

Pie is one of life's great pleasures...

Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #17

I've stayed here when traveling Panama and can highly recommend it.

GAMBOA RAINFOREST RESORT Panama

We didn't stay in the main hotel, but one of their villas on the property. Cheaper and far more atmosphere.

We took the aerial tram through the jungle, boat ride to monkey island and a couple other excursions that don't seem to be shown on the website anymore that included a couple trips into the rainforest.

Also done the Panama Canal Railway trip from Panama City to Colon (scary place) on the other coast.

Panama Canal Railway Co.

I really like Panama. Fruit is so fresh and cheap. For cheap eats in Panama City, look for small restaurants with daily specials. You get a lot of food for very little money.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #18

Quote:
If you use windows, you can make a few changes to your keyboard mapping that easily allow you to make all the Spanish accents. There are also a number of codes that are a bit more clumsy, but if you don't write Spanish often are all you need.
Qué bién, ahora puedo escribír en español con mis teclas. Ahora tengo que aprendér cuando debo usár acentos y cuando no los debo usár. Muchas gracias, Señor haha.

Para perrodero, debes tratar las empanadas Panameñas.

Edité: C'est chose travaillez aussi pour ecribér en Français, non? Mais ouí mon amí!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Qué bién, ahora puedo escribír en español con mis teclas. Ahora tengo que aprendér cuando debo usár acentos y cuando no los debo usár. Muchas gracias, Señor haha.
Here's a good quick guide:
Spanish accents
It seems to agree with what I learned back in the day regarding Spanish grammar.

Basically, no accent is needed if the normal word stress falls in the correct location. The correct location is typically the penultimate syllable for words ending in vowels, n or s and the last syllable for words ending in other consonants. If a syllable is stressed and violates the rules, you put an accent on it to indicate it is stressed.

I guess one must know how to properly pronounce the words in spoken spanish in order to know whether to use an accent!

For example, in your quoted spanish above, "escribír", "aprendér", and "usár" all have a natural stress on the last syllable of each word, so an accent is not needed to indicate that the last syllable is stressed.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
For example, in your quoted spanish above, "escribír", "aprendér", and "usár" all have a natural stress on the last syllable of each word, so an accent is not needed to indicate that the last syllable is stressed.
Grácias. Un poco de conozimiento es una cosa peligrosa. Es mejor decir que uno no sabe usar las teclas que saber usarlas y usarlas mal.