Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

European coffee--esp. Italian and German. No matter if you can buy the brand here and make it correctly, it still never tastes quite the same.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #22

Reading the later posts reminds me of two unique meals in Spain - teeny tiny grilled snails (so small you needed to eat 50+ for a meal) and grilled spring onions (calcots). Mmmmmm
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #23

Kokoda in Fiji: cold coconut cream-based white fish soup with "pico"-type tomato salsa. Serve with garlic bread. Ate it every... single... day we were there.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Too many things to list. There's good food everywhere we've ever gone. A few favorites are Lebanese pastries, chipirones (squid in it's own ink) and tequeños (cheese inside dough, fried in oil).
I first had a similar dish, only octupus, as pulpo en su tinta in Mexico City in 1964. I had been farther south, and was basically starving for enough protein. I met a woman friend in Mexico City who was similarly hungry. We were about to go home from having such fiery food and neither of us expected to survive. We walked past a nice looking white tablecloth French restaurant and just went in. "Por favor, pulpo en su inta para los dos!" Then a reorder. Then we topped it off with broiled corvine fillets. Finally, no longer dying of hunger. The waiters were practically doubled over, a young couple who didn't weight 230 together putting away food like that. I still remember it. Excellent food, excellent service, lovely surroundings, and the sauce of hunger.

I would not like to try to duplicate this, here or in Mexico or Spain. For me, good memories are better left as is.

Ha
Old 04-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #25

cous-cous con pesce.
We make it - but I've never seen it in a restaurant outside of western Sicily. We had to learn how to make it because we craved it and it's cheaper to learn how to make it than to travel to Sicily every time we had a craving.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Ginja from Portugal!

Impossible to find in the states, other than New Jersey. We happen to be going to New York this week and intend on making a pilgrimage to New jersey for a bottle of Ginja!
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Kokoda in Fiji: cold coconut cream-based white fish soup with "pico"-type tomato salsa. Serve with garlic bread. Ate it every... single... day we were there.
Wow - you even spelled it correctly! I always wondered whether I could just add some high quality coconut milk to ceviche. Otherwise they are almost identical.

I make do with eating ceviche often.......
Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I adore Ethiopian food. We got hooked on it in Austin when we frequented a wonderful restaurant for many years. They eventually closed, and then we moved, and I have craved it ever since.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I have not heard of ginja or ginjinha, so looked it up. There's a recipe to make it on the Web, but where does one get sour cherry?

Ginjinha; or, Portuguese Sour Cherry Liqueur | Twice Cooked - Cooking, Eating, Politics

When we visited Sorrento, I brought back a bottle of Limoncello, but it did not taste as good as when we were there. And then, for a while Costco carried it.

Recently, one of our nieces and one of our nephews independently learned to make it (they have not been to Sorrento) and each gave me a bottle. It was not bad.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #30

I have just one thing to say -

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Again, the Web comes to the rescue. If one wants his Spotted Dick badly enough, he can always make it himself. This recipe is from the BBC, no less. And look at the spots in the following photo.

Spotted Dick | BBC Good Food

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my most memorable foods was duck tongue in China. If I could find it here, I would buy it and force my worst enemy to eat it. It is the closest thing to chewy mud I have ever had.

Nobody ever said that memorable had to be good.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #33

That looks good NW-Bound. I was a little less creative, choosing to cover my tinned spotted dick with packaged hot Bird's custard. Still good though - and making me hungry just thinking about it.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I have eaten snails and other delicacies, but stinky tofu and duck tongue do not turn me on, and I would not even try.

PS. I have had "sea cucumber", and did not like it cooked. So, I do not think I would like it raw and still wriggling. Generally, I do not like to see my food moving or wriggling, except for Jello.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Ah, the joy of dining when on travel in foreign lands. Come to think of it, any half-competent cook can make most dishes, except when exotic ingredients are called for. But a Salade Niçoise ordered at a beach-front restaurant in Nice on the Promenade des Anglais somehow was much more enjoyable than one I can make at home. Or grilled squid eaten one afternoon at a beach restaurant in Positano, after we hiked down from the highway. That's how memories were made. Thinking about them brings tears to my eyes.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

From my prior military days, I have fond memories of Turkish Chicken Tava and Shawarma from Saudi Arabia. You can find Shawarma in the states, but never found one as good as the ones in Saudi. Maybe cause they are too overloaded here. You know, bigger is better theory.

As far as treats go. I do miss bonbons that I would pick up during frequent trips to the UK.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
From my prior military days, I have fond memories of Turkish Chicken Tava and Shawarma from Saudi Arabia.
There are a couple student type places in the Seattle University District that serve shawarma. I really like it,, the best place has been on the Ave for years and has been run by a large Palestinian family since the beginning.

Ha
Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
I am pretty sure you can get this online from many places in the US...even Amazon.
Yes. I ordered it online. But it is imported from costa rica. I haven't found any stores that carry it.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #39

Good black pudding. I have to manage with the frozen stuff form an Irish Market a few miles away.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I'm not too adventurous when it comes to food. I nearly starved in Japan. Not to say we didn't find several excellent restaurants after w*rk, but the food at the company cafeteria reminded me of catfish bait. I ate a lot of ice cream for lunch, and beef curry on the days it was available...

One place had enoki/oyster mushrooms wrapped in bacon with asparagus that was awesome. We visited a hot pot place several times for shabu shabu. Also ate a pizza in a German restaurant.

Of course, I've eaten squirrel, rabbit, turtle, frog legs, deer, elk, and javelina, some or all of which might be considered "adventurous"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eti karam gurme turkey