Join Early Retirement Today

Memphis ER Board Members?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Memphis ER Board Members?

I'll be heading to Memphis (Millington, actually) in a couple weeks for a couple weeks. Suggestions for must see's and restaurants encouraged. Any one living there interested in meeting for dinner one evening? (14-29 Sep) (BTW, Graceland is NOT on my list of things to do, nor am I a big country/western fan)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not from Memphis but the most well known BBQ restaurant in Memphis is The Rendezvous. Close to the Peabody Hotel in downtown Memphis. Interstate BBQ is in Memphis and it is considered pretty good. Been featured on the Food Network.

Beale Street is an area to visit. Lot's of blue's clubs.

World famous Beale Street – Memphis, TN - Home of the Blues…Birthplace of Rock N’ Roll

Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #3

Rendezvous seems to be on everyone's list! LOL Must check it out Will be there in a week...unsure about the humidity - if it is like other southern areas, I think I will drown!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Rendezvous seems to be on everyone's list! LOL Must check it out Will be there in a week...unsure about the humidity - if it is like other southern areas, I think I will drown!
I've been to Memphis many times; however it's been a few years since I've made a visit to this city.

I'm sure one thing hasn't changed...the humidity. It will sap the energy right out of ya...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I've been to Memphis many times; however it's been a few years since I've made a visit to this city.

I'm sure one thing hasn't changed...the humidity. It will sap the energy right out of ya...
Easy fix. Drink plenty of med's.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Actually, it's been pretty comfortable the last week or so. Now that take with the fact that we've lived here in MS 3 years now, so we are getting used to the heat and humidity...but Memphis is about 2 1/2 hrs north of us, so it should be even cooler.

We were just in Memphis 2 weekends ago. Have been to Rendezvous and enjoyed Beale Street. Haven't explored anything else yet!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Any one living there interested in meeting for dinner one evening? (14-29 Sep) (BTW, Graceland is NOT on my list of things to do, nor am I a big country/western fan)
C'mon, you guys don't have to be shy. Fireup and I shared a very enjoyable lunch a couple years ago in NYC, and now she's an officer and a gentleman by an act of Congress...

And if you're a veteran with any questions about active duty or the Reserves or the VA or veteran's benefits-- she has answers.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:29 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have not been there for over 30 years... but back in my military days, Overton Square was a place to visit. Not sure what it is like today... of course back then I was about 19 and I will admit never sober when I went there (or at least by the time I left).

I think Beale street has replaced Overton Square as the entertainment spot. It has a Blues theme. Welcome to the world famous Beale Street

If you are an Elvis fan, you can stop in and see Graceland.

I have not checked... but those old southern cities always seem to have a number of historical sites one can visit.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe too late but you gotta eat at Gus' fried chicken on Front street. Another artery clogging must is Dyers' down on Beale. Take the free trolley. The ducks at the Peabody are neat. Mud Island is pretty cool, nice homes.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I can suggest a place to camp if you are going via RV. A unique and cool RV park - Tom Sawyer's Mississippi River RV Park

Audrey