Memphis sightseeing

madsquopper

Recycles dryer sheets
Going to be there in a few weeks for the big bridge tournament and will have about 3 free days for sightseeing. Have identified these so far; opinions on what I should weed out (or in)? Some of the music ones might have a lot of overlap. Definitely no interest in Graceland. Thanks.

National Civil Rights Museum - Lorraine Motel
Stax Museum of American Soul Music
Memphis Rock 'n' Soul Museum
Mississippi River Museum at Mud Island
Ducks Unlimited Waterfowling Heritage Center
Slave Haven / Burkle Estate Museum
Sun Studio
Memphis Botanic Garden
Riverbluff Walkway

Larry

Going to be there in a few weeks for the big bridge tournament and will have about 3 free days for sightseeing. Have identified these so far; opinions on what I should weed out (or in)? Some of the music ones might have a lot of overlap. Definitely no interest in Graceland. Thanks.

National Civil Rights Museum - Lorraine Motel
Stax Museum of American Soul Music
Mississippi River Museum at Mud Island
Ducks Unlimited Waterfowling Heritage Center
Slave Haven / Burkle Estate Museum
Sun Studio
Memphis Botanic Garden
Riverbluff Walkway

Larry
Next to Lorraine Motel where MLK lost his life is very famous BBQ, Central BBQ. Pulled pork and hot wings and banana pudding!

I was born and raised there.

My advice: Buy a good handgun and carry it! (*While in Memphis)

I'll second the Rendezvous. Great ribs, brisket and pulled pork. It can get busy, so plan accordingly.

And also the Peabody for the duck walk. Corny, but fun.

From your list, the Lorraine hotel museum is worthwhile. DW went to sun records on a girl's weekend and enjoyed that, as well.

The Gibson Guitar Factory tour was interesting, but I think that factory has closed.

Beale Street is fun, but can get crazy late in the evening.

Have fun.

Rendezvous

https://www.hogsfly.com

Better bbq is at the Commissary in Germantown.

https://www.commissarybbq.com

But, Rendezvous is a iconic place that should be included in a trip to Memphis. Also close by is the Peabody. Go in the evening to see the ducks.

https://www.peabodymemphis.com/ducks-en.html

Have fun and make sure to take in some blues on Beale Street.

+1 on Germantown Commissary - almost life changing. Forget Neeley's (they had a run on some of the cooking channels several years ago); best for all if they are shuttered by now.

And yeah - the handgun if you're out at night or going into sketchy areas (like Memphis). :D

I was born and raised there.

My advice: Buy a good handgun and carry it! (*While in Memphis)
I spent 3 1/2 months there in 78. We weren't in a great neighborhood, your comment makes sense to me.

The Civil Rights museum was fantastic. We spent 3 hours there and did not get through the whole thing.
Blues on Beale Street was nice.
Yeah there is a decent amount of crime overall, but did not feel unsafe at anytime. Just be aware of your surroundings.
I found Central BBQ next to the museum to be better than Rendezvous.

I found Central BBQ next to the museum to be better than Rendezvous.

FWIW, I was not impressed by Central BBQ, but everyone has their own tastes, so you should try them both.

On a side note, regarding the comment's about being armed in the city: We walked from the Holiday Inn on Union Ave to Beale Street, to the Civil rights museum, to central BBQ. During the day, and even early evening, I would say no problems in this area. Like any downtown tourist area, you need to be aware.

Rendezvous

https://www.hogsfly.com

Better bbq is at the Commissary in Germantown.

https://www.commissarybbq.com

But, Rendezvous is a iconic place that should be included in a trip to Memphis. Also close by is the Peabody. Go in the evening to see the ducks.

https://www.peabodymemphis.com/ducks-en.html

Have fun and make sure to take in some blues on Beale Street.

Agree a ton with Rendezvous and for sure the Commissary. There's a great fried chicken place downtown that looks pretty sketchy and can't remember the name of it but it was awesome.

Agree also with Gibson guitar factory and Civil Rights museum for sure. We just listened to a ton of music on Beale Street every night.

Next to Lorraine Motel where MLK lost his life is very famous BBQ, Central BBQ. Pulled pork and hot wings and banana pudding!

I second Central BBQ. We toured the Gibson Guitar factory and really liked it. We also liked the Rock and Soul Museum.

FWIW, I was not impressed by Central BBQ, but everyone has their own tastes, so you should try them both.

On a side note, regarding the comment's about being armed in the city: We walked from the Holiday Inn on Union Ave to Beale Street, to the Civil rights museum, to central BBQ. During the day, and even early evening, I would say no problems in this area. Like any downtown tourist area, you need to be aware.
Twelve percent of my 50 person class were mugged in 14 weeks.

Last edited:
Agree a ton with Rendezvous and for sure the Commissary. There's a great fried chicken place downtown that looks pretty sketchy and can't remember the name of it but it was awesome.

Agree also with Gibson guitar factory and Civil Rights museum for sure. We just listened to a ton of music on Beale Street every night.

I think it is Gus’s Chicken that you are referring to. It is delicious! It is the best fried chicken I have ever had by a long shot.

I lived 18 years in Memphis and graduated college there. Sure has changed over the years.

I understand the Stax Museum is very worthwhile.

Of course, we love the Rendezvous for ribs and walking down the alley to the Peabody for a piece of carrot cake for dessert. Peabody Hotel's Thursday afternoon happy hour on the roof bar is great in good weather.

Central BBQ is probably the best all round BBQ restaurant right now. My fraternity brother owns Germantown Commissary, and his barbeque is not even in the top 10. Best barbeque ribs I ever had were at Corky's.

The Bass Pro Shop in The Pyramid is worth a couple of hours. It's a very beautiful store and a big tourist draw.

Too bad you're not into Elvis. I've never had time to go to Elvisland, but I did walk up to his grave once. My buddy flew on the Convair 880 back to Los Angeles the night they buried Elvis to take Lisa Marie, Priscilla, Ann Margaret and George Hamilton home. I do plan on visiting Elvis' home one day.

Last edited:
DW dragged me on a pilgrimage to Graceland, where tacky '70s decor went to die.

OK, it was pretty interesting. Worth a stop if you're in the area. Maybe not as culturally enlightening as some of the other places mentioned, but certainly a part of history.

The place I enjoyed the most: Big River Crossing, where you can actually walk across the Mississippi River! Spectacular views, and if you must have some culture, there's "Martyr's Park" right there, too.

My wife and I lived in Memphis in the 80s and 90s. We always enjoyed blues and other music on Beale St.

Corky’s was our favorite BBQ place, and Commisary in Germantown probably second. Rendezvous was way too crowded and way too loud for us.

Best rack of ribs I've eaten in a long time, too. Don't miss this if you're going to the Civil Rights museum.

Back
Top Bottom