Join Early Retirement Today

Men's travel pants for cool weather
Old 03-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Men's travel pants for cool weather

Before retirement I usually had to travel overseas to places like Europe in the summer when the main weather problem was keeping cool. I often wore travel pants made of nylon or some other quick drying artificial fiber. However, in cool weather these pants often make me feel like I am wearing shorts, my legs get cold.

Currently like to travel more off-season in the Spring and Fall. The weather is cooler and there are times when the high temperature for the day is in the area of 50 degrees. So, I am looking for some quick drying travel pants that will provide some warmth by holding in the body heat, yet be easy to care for on the road.

Any suggestions?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try some of the Hager clothes , not travel pants as with all the pockets though. I usually wear Cool 18 summer and winter . like the streeeeeetch wasteline . Cheaper at the outlets then online , really like the jeans style .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Jeans?

Or you can get long underwear to wear with those pants?

I do have these pants from REI which is thin and has zippers around the ankles for putting over ski boots. Very thin but usually wear long underwear with them. I've gone to the Alps in the winter with them and they're easy to pack, not bulky.

In the winter, I use boots for walking in the snow and the pant legs will fit over the outside of these boots, which go half way up the lower leg. That keeps the show from falling inside the boots and the snow beads up.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

+1 on the long underwear suggestion - pair of thin merino baselayer pants take up the space of a napkin and provide all the warmth you need with your regular travel pants. Heavier pants will not be "quick dry" and provide less flexibility if the weather turns warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Jeans?

I do have these pants from REI which is thin and has zippers around the ankles for putting over ski boots. Very thin but usually wear long underwear with them. I've gone to the Alps in the winter with them and they're easy to pack, not bulky.

In the winter, I use boots for walking in the snow and the pant legs will fit over the outside of these boots, which go half way up the lower leg. That keeps the show from falling inside the boots and the snow beads up.
mageedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Layering.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I swear by these for travel. They make a flight/walking/hiking pair and one without a logo, chino pant type. The resist light rain, feel like cotton, don’t make that swishing sound when you walk, dry fast and can be paired with a casual shirt for dining.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/m...izetype=&size=
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I swear by these for travel. They make a flight/walking/hiking pair and one without a logo, chino pant type. The resist light rain, feel like cotton, don’t make that swishing sound when you walk, dry fast and can be paired with a casual shirt for dining.

DW & I both have a fair amount of Eddie Bauer attire...it's our go to store.....(at sale time).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
DW & I both have a fair amount of Eddie Bauer attire...it's our go to store.....(at sale time).
Yes, never pay full retail. I sign up for their emails and wait for the big sales.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, never pay full retail. I sign up for their emails and wait for the big sales.
They used to e-mail us coupons, ($5/$10 off, etc).....haven't had one for a while though, but we still have one of their 'loyalty cards'.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mageedge View Post
+1 on the long underwear suggestion - pair of thin merino baselayer pants take up the space of a napkin and provide all the warmth you need with your regular travel pants. Heavier pants will not be "quick dry" and provide less flexibility if the weather turns warm.
That's what I was thinking. I have some very nice fleece lined jeans but they would obviously not be quick dry. I have some silk long underwear that are very good to cut the draft. I used to wear them with my dress pants in the cold months when I knew I wouldn't be in the office all day. Don't forget a good pair of socks. I wear an over the calf sock that when worn over the long underwear does a real nice job at keeping the lower half of the leg warm.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #11
gone traveling

+1 Haggar Their kaki pants are great for travel...comfort and look and easy care...Also, great prices. The cool18's are good for summer.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Uh oh... their marketing department might want to rethink trying to sell these to the "older gentleman" crowd since they appear to have a color called "fossil"

Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets

Looks like many good suggestions here. I would suggestion you also consider Prana Zion travel pants. They stretch, have a thigh zipper pocket that is very convenient. They keep me comfortable in the cold winter and hot summer months (Don’t know how they pull this off). They are thin enough so you can easily pack 3 or 4 and they take up very little space in the luggage. They can be washed in the sink and are quick drying. They are windproof so you can add a base layer to keep you warm in below freezing weather. They are very durable too. Can not recommend them enough.
Jsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

heavy jeans ( if not so windy ) or leather ( if windy ) for me

( and an ankle wallet for the cash and traveler's checks , mid-calf leather boots make this work well )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:32 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

When traveling internationally, I carry two pairs of pairs of pants in addition to the khaki pants I'm wearing--1 jeans and 1 khaki. And all my pants are heavily starched at the laundry. They look better after being worn numerous days and starched pants shed dirt and water so much better. I never hand wash them.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:54 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Jeans?

Exactly. I take really light base layer pants to wear under my Columbia travel pants. I roll up the base layer to pack and they don’t take up much more space than my a couple pairs of underwear.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Trying to wrap my head around s t a r c h e d pants. That just doesn't feel right.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

If I were going to someplace cold I'd just use my Eddie Bower pants with a lycra underlayer. I've never needed to do this though as we don't travel to cold climates.

But when I run in the winter I use some short cut (just above the knees) lycra pants and they are great for keeping the thighs warm. They wash and dry quite easily too.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Lately I've been buying from https://www.galls.com/. They serve cops, emt, fire, etc. and have a huge assortment of rugged clothing for all climates. One thing I especially like is that pockets are plentiful and deep, often with pickpocket-resistant velcro closures. "Stylish," however is not in the vocabulary. Sales are frequent, but cover a fairly narrow range of products, and the discounts are not deep.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

DH has different weights of nylon pants he uses for travel, as do I. I think his heavier ones are the Prana pants.

We also have light thermal underwear, but don’t seem to need them until daytime temps are in the 40s or worse. So we don’t take them unless we know we will run into colder temps.

Tags
travel pants men