Mexico or Caribbean all inclusive recommendation?

jabbahop

Recycles dryer sheets
My wife and I plus our twin sons (18) are looking for a place to go for their Feb school break.

We have liked some of the club meds - activities plus good food buffet - and could do that again.

We were just wondering if there are other options/locations we should consider.

Thanks

Take a cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The advantage of a cruise is that you won't be exposed to mosquitoes.

The advantage of a cruise is that you won't be exposed to mosquitoes.

Other than getting on and off the ship, getting to the ship, any ports of call......

A good buddy came down with Malaria after he was in SA, only in the city where it's "safe".

Ms G and I did lots of Club Med Villages when we were in our 40's Now we do small ship cruises almost the same amount of activities ans just as much fun, We did this in November of 2014, and November of 2015.

https://www.uncruise.com/destinations/mexico-cruises/bajas-bounty

dave & deb.jpg

We have visited several Iberostar resorts in Mexico and have throughly enjoyed them. We don't have kids, but I do know they have extensive activities for kids of all ages. They have an abundance of price points too...you can go pretty cheap or rock it out like a rock star.

I think I'd stay away from a mass market cruises and all inclusive resorts in Mexico during Spring Break. (Too many college aged amateur drinkers) I'd look for an adventure cruise or destination. We did a blackbeard cruise years ago. It was fun and would be a chance to learn how to dive. Its not a luxury vacation but you will have some great memories. http://allstarliveaboards.com/blackbeards/

We have visited several Iberostar resorts in Mexico and have throughly enjoyed them. We don't have kids, but I do know they have extensive activities for kids of all ages. They have an abundance of price points too...you can go pretty cheap or rock it out like a rock star.

We like cruises and have been on a few, but this past summer, went to our first land based all-inclusive, and it was an Iberostar in Mexico. Have to admit, went in with pretty low expectations, but everything went really well. We had an extended family group with an age range of pre teens - 80's.

Food was not gourmet, but decent and enough variety of restaurants to not get bored over the course of a week. Pool(s) were great, and it was really nice that it is truly "all-inclusive". If the kids wanted a smoothie, or the adults wanted an adult beverage - no problem, have two or three. On a cruise, those drinks can really add up. Tips, etc were also included. We did not even leave the grounds. For more than a week, probably would have gotten old, but for a week, great time. Overall, we would definitely do it again.

DW and I did sit through the time share presentation as DW wanted the two spa treatments. Somewhat painful, but happy wife = happy life.

Cruises have some advantages, land based all inclusives have some advantages. I would be happy with either. :)

But, as the poster below notes, spring break time will most likely be quite busy, so keep that in mind.

We're partial to the Ocean Coral & Turquesa by H10 (stayed twice), located by Puerto Morelos, near Cancun. It's more of a family oriented resort, but does have a young adult contingent. In addition to the buffet, they have several other dining options available (5-7). While we liked the buffet, it was nice to have other dinner options. If you reserve a Privilege level room, another restaurant is available (good tapas), and you're able to make reservations for the specialty restaurants. For activities, they do have an onsite dive shop and tour outings can be arranged with the hotel travel agent or online.

If you want an adult orientation resort, they do have one in Playa del Carmen in addition to other Caribbean locations. Here's a link for more info:

https://www.oceanhotels.net/en

No matter where you stay, I suggest you sign up on their mailing list. They'll sometimes offer discounts as much as 25%. Also, compare costs with the hotel site and other travel sites.

I suggest you look at Trip Advisor for all inclusive resorts outside Cancun on the Yucitan Peninsula. The other hot place for all inclusives is the Dominican Republic.

My favorite island in the Caribbean is St. Lucia, and they have some incredible all inclusives there. It's also an incredibly beautiful place. See Jade Mountain - St Lucia's Most Romantic Luxury Resort

My least favorite place in the Caribbean is Jamaica. The street people there are rather aggressive.

We went to Moon Palace in Cancun last March. Destination wedding. As AI's go, it was very good.

Thanks for all of the responses. Surprisingly we went with a cruise. It wasn't my first choice but I am open to it. The rationale were
- so we could see some places we haven't been for potential future travel
(Routan, Belize, Cozumel)
- the boys love buffet eating
- lots of activities - on and off the boat

This is one of these NCL mega boats so will be with 4000 of our closest friends ;-) My wife and I have done smaller Windstar cruises but can't see that working for the boys.

Will be a good retirement experiment for us.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Is anyone concerned about Zika exposure in the Cancun area? Since many of us are older it's the possible GBS or french polio that concerns me. I know the incidents of GBS are low in Zika cases, but it's a horrible thing to deal with if you did catch it.

Thanks for all of the responses. Surprisingly we went with a cruise. It wasn't my first choice but I am open to it. The rationale were
- so we could see some places we haven't been for potential future travel
(Routan, Belize, Cozumel)
- the boys love buffet eating
- lots of activities - on and off the boat

This is one of these NCL mega boats so will be with 4000 of our closest friends ;-) My wife and I have done smaller Windstar cruises but can't see that working for the boys.

Will be a good retirement experiment for us.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

That sounds like a perfect trip for your family--it will be as much fun as you want it to be! The boys will be in heaven.

We recently sent our regrets to an upcoming destination wedding at a big all-inclusive in Mexico (and I love Mexico) that is part of a time-share operation--not the reason we declined, but we were warned by people who had been there that the salespeople are relentless, 24/7. I'd take a megacruise any day over that.

We are contemplating a partial Panama cruise out of South Florida and an all inclusive on the Riviera Maya. My Niece says the All Ins are great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom