Mexico Travel Warning -Playa del Carmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is the seeming lack of caring about crime by the police force that concerns me, not exactly the odds of any single person getting shot, stabbed or beheaded at any one time. In the USA if someone assaults me or steals my car, breaks into my home, I can call the police and expect a pretty good response (of course there are the rare outliers). The stories I read about Mexico seem to indicate you cannot expect this type of response from the police there. Is this true? Because that is a showstopper for me.
Unfortunately Minneapolis police shot and killed a woman calling 911 about a possible sexual assault.Killed her in the alley behind her home.Every place has bad apples.

Unfortunately Minneapolis police shot and killed a woman calling 911 about a possible sexual assault.Killed her in the alley behind her home.Every place has bad apples.

I think the difference here in MN is that the police officer will be prosecuted. In Mexico, likely not. The Mexican cops may even shake you down for something and there is no one to call.

And that is the number one thing. The murder solve-ability rate is 2%. It is less than 7% on crime overall. Mexico is a lawless land. I suspect the resort security guards have license to kill, which is a good thing.

What..armed resort guards..yes they are usually armed with clip boards and walkie talkies..I think you might watch too many movies

I think the difference here in MN is that the police officer will be prosecuted. In Mexico, likely not. The Mexican cops may even shake you down for something and there is no one to call.

So far they have definitely ruled out a grand jury. DA will decide by the end of the year whether or not to press charges. This is with a Somali-born officer killing an Australian woman. The more typical US cop killing a US citizen actually results in a strikingly small number of prosecutions.

(see card 6 here)

https://www.vox.com/cards/police-brutality-shootings-us/us-police-shootings-statistics

Also, the Mexican system is changing...

https://mx.usembassy.gov/united-sta...xicos-transition-new-criminal-justice-system/

So the numbers might be something like 20 out of 100,000 bad police officers in the USA and 20,000 out of 100,000 are bad, bought or corrupt in Mexico?

What..armed resort guards..yes they are usually armed with clip boards and walkie talkies..I think you might watch too many movies
I was in Santa Marta, Colombia, 37 years ago this winter...... beach hotel guards had shotguns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom