Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Mexico Travel Warning -Playa del Carmen
Old 08-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Mexico Travel Warning -Playa del Carmen

Mexico Travel Warning

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html

I am going to Playa del Carmen in December, wondering if anybody has traveled there lately and has any details?

Thx

(—Charles Bukowski)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I recommend you cancel your trip and stay at home in a bubble.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I recommend you cancel your trip and stay at home in a bubble.

Really ?
Not sure if you are serious or not

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 08-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
Really ?
Not sure if you are serious or not
I'm semi-serious. If you take normal precautions and don't drive in the countryside, Playa Del Carmen is relatively safe, safer than some areas of the US. If you want to avoid all travel risk, you have to avoid all travel.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:12 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just do not drink the alcohol. Are you staying at the same place the Americans were drugged and killed? The Iberostar Paraiso Resort in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.

Wisconsin family questions daughter's mysterious drowning in Mexico

Quote:
As much as 36% of the alcohol consumed in Mexico could be illegal
http://www.businessinsider.com/tainted-alcohol-mexico

I have read that most crimes go unsolvable in Mexico. 98% of all murders are unsolved. Have a safe trip...
Quote:
New figures suggest as many as 93.7 percent of all crimes go unreported or uninvestigated across Mexico.
Unsolved crime rate in Mexico climbs to 93 percent | News | DW | 28.09.2016
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 08-23-2017, 06:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Just do not drink the alcohol. Are you staying at the same place the Americans were drugged and killed? The Iberostar Paraiso Resort in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.

Wisconsin family questions daughter's mysterious drowning in Mexico

Tainted alcohol Mexico - Business Insider

Gee, we've stayed there about 8 or 10 times. It is one of my favorite places! Never had a problem in any way, shape or form. Wonder what else was going on and/or left unsaid.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was in the area (Cancun as well as some spots between Cancun and Playa) at the end of last year, late spring this year, and will be going again next month. Statistically, that area is still safer than my home metropolitain area in the USA.

The only change I have noticed recently is a bit more private security and police presence in some areas. I still feel safer there than at home most of the time.

While I am there, I do not plan to go clubbing, get falling down drunk, etc. But, I don't consider those to be safe activities in the USA either.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #8

I was there a couple years ago and felt totally safe. Really loved PDC. However, I understand things have changed a lot in just the last year with the cartels now being active there. The alcohol problem is probably a pretty rare problem in my opinion. I would still go. Just don't go walking down a dark street, alone, late at night or other such activity that you also wouldn't do in many US cities.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Gee, we've stayed there about 8 or 10 times. It is one of my favorite places! Never had a problem in any way, shape or form. Wonder what else was going on and/or left unsaid.
Exactly. I wonder why they do not tell you about the tainted alcohol they serve, or the deaths in the pool....

I would not go to Mexico on a dare. My mother used to live in Chapala, now the US State Department says to stay away. I traveled Mexico fairly extensively in public buses, taxis and private cars.

Quote:

Jalisco (includes Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, and Lake Chapala): U.S. citizens should defer non-essential travel to areas that border the states of Michoacán and Zacatecas because of continued instability.
Mexico is one half step above Columbia and maybe a few steps below Egypt and other middle eastern countries.

It's probably safe to visit Mexico, until it isn't.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 08-23-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I was there (PDC) in June for my anniversary. 11 days, no problems not did I witness any. We stayed in a private condo just off of 5th Ave. Because of not being at a resort, we were off-site every day, often multiple times a day. Biggest concern were timeshare sharks!
Old 08-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #11

Love Mexico.

Moved mom down to Guadalajara for a new drug regimen that had, at the time, shown some promise in Europe (quicker than applying for compassionate use exemption)

It didn't work for her, but she enjoyed a much higher quality of life her final years.

She was able to have her own room in a home converted to a private geriatric clinic (with an orchard outside her window) vs. the skilled nursing facilities we used (and would have had to use again) here in the U.S.

Met several interesting people, including U.S. & Canadian ex-pats in the Ajijic/Chapala area.

A few (retired early or not) living on little more than SS retirement or disability.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Mexico has all the laws on the books to protect you but enforcement is lacking. If you are looking for the nanny state to protect you, stay away.

You must take more responsibility to be safe at an AI, drink bottled beer. When you go swimming, have a buddy looking out for you. Do not rely on the hotel. Stay away from railings that will not protect you from falling over them. When taking stairs, do not expect a hand railing.

Do not go out alone at night after midnight. Do not accept offers from strangers for anything!

Enjoy your trip! US tourists are accounting for a 20% increase so far this year.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #13

Stay at home and watch Narcos on Netflix

Just kidding... was in Cabo in June with no problems. We had a fabulous time. The locals were welcoming and appreciative of our business. I love their sense of humor.

Examples:
When we ignored the timeshare sharks, they called us professional tourists!
Street vendor big smiles and asked 'how can I rip you off today?"
Driver took us over a road full of potholes and called it a 'Mexican massage'.

I know PDC is probably different, but we did hear of some drug violence in Cabo, but out of the tourist zone.

Go, have fun, don't worry, be happy... and carefull

I'll also use this opportunity to brag on my BIL and DW's fun day on the ocean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3818.jpg (448.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

My retirement plan was to ride my motorcycle down into mexico for a while. I have not backed off that idea totally, but for now I,'m thinking to fly down and not stay in a resort but the local economy. maybe hire a driver for a day if needed...ride the busses, walk. I've been all over the world and all of my unsafe moments have been in the US. I did go to Tijuana many years ago, but that don't count.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

When the US calls for a travel warning, I'm going to pay attention. Anecdotal visits where nothing happened is not going to change my mind.

There's a reason for the warning.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:42 AM   #16

If I'm reading the article correctly, they had 4 shots of tequila and then one more in short order. Then hopped into the pool. Suddenly this is Mexico's fault?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
When the US calls for a travel warning, I'm going to pay attention. Anecdotal visits where nothing happened is not going to change my mind.

There's a reason for the warning.
You say that as if the travel warning isn't itself anecdotal.....

Travel warnings are a two-way street.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ates/88458238/
Old 08-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.
Sounds like a typical week in any random mid-size or larger US city.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
If I'm reading the article correctly, they had 4 shots of tequila and then one more in short order. Then hopped into the pool. Suddenly this is Mexico's fault?
Yes. I read this story a few weeks ago and couldn't help laughing at the pitiful reporting. They couldn't connect the dots between taking ~6 shots of liquor in an hour then jumping in a pool, which ended up resulting in death? And I figure they flew down from the states, probably on a connecting flight. Probably dehydrated when they stepped off the plane and the tropical heat didn't help any more, and might not have had a decent meal all day (don't think they serve much food on planes to MX). Sounds like a recipe for getting drunk really quickly, whether it's tainted alcohol or the regular kind.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
Mexico Travel Warning

I am going to Playa del Carmen in December, wondering if anybody has traveled there lately and has any details?

Thx
The warnings seemed surprising to me. I thought Mexico was moving past these problems.

Perhaps not so quickly.
https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico

It has been a while. I would like to return for a visit some time soon.