Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

MIT Ranks US Airports on Disease Contagion
Old 07-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MIT Ranks US Airports on Disease Contagion

New model of disease contagion ranks U.S. airports in terms of their spreading influence - MIT News Office

Great. Dulles, my airport, is up in the top tier.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I've seen and heard this reported a lot today. But I have not seen anything about the significance to the ranking.

What is the difference between # 1 and #15 and #99? Is it 10% or 1000x? Are there any real journalists providing this info? If so, I missed it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Only a little related to this subject: Chicago's O'Hare Intl has some amazing never-ending-auto-feed- plastic toilet seat cover gizmos. Truly a marvel of technology--I was afraid it would "replenish" while I was on the throne and I'd be flung off, or some part of me might get caught in the mechanism. I didn't linger there.

In Europe somewhere (Schipol in Amsterdam?) they had a much cheaper and probably more effective approach. A little dispenser in each stall produced a small glob of disinfectant when you pull the handle. If you're worried about the seat, dispense a glob onto some TP and clean it yourself.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. . .
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Only a little related to this subject: Chicago's O'Hare Intl has some amazing never-ending-auto-feed- plastic toilet seat cover gizmos.
I'm familiar with those, and also witnessed this one in Budapest:

-ERD50
Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm familiar with those, and also witnessed this one in Budapest:

-ERD50
You seem to have visited more 'up-scale' places in Budapest than I did. But, that's ok. AFAIK, I came home healthy.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
You seem to have visited more 'up-scale' places in Budapest than I did. But, that's ok. AFAIK, I came home healthy.
Well that was at an upscale place and a rare find in Budapest. IIRC, only one actual public washroom in the city? No public drinking fountains either.

That's the modern "Palace of the Arts", where we saw (in addition to that toilet) the Vienna Symphony, and the very talented (and very upscale looking) Alice Sara Ott.

Alice Sara Ott - Official Homepage

-ERD50
Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #7

Pff.. highly inaccurate report. I can assure you from biased, inaccurate, unscientific frequent personal observation that LaGuardia is the virtual unlicensed backstreet bordello of NY airport grime and disease. I'd spend a week at Kennedy or Newark before another 10 mins. at LGA waiting on a flight.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Pff.. highly inaccurate report. I can assure you from biased, inaccurate, unscientific frequent personal observation that LaGuardia is the virtual unlicensed backstreet bordello of NY airport grime and disease. I'd spend a week at Kennedy or Newark before another 10 mins. at LGA waiting on a flight.
Absolutely. While improving LGA still has that crowded dirty feel. Although arriving into JFK and going through customs is definitely a low point. I agree with Donald Trump that these airports are a disgrace and a lousy first impression.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

One reason I found and posted this is I got a bit freaked by seeing "Contagion" on cable. Eeek. Always been a little bit of a germ-a-phobe. Not quite Howard Hughes, but the first to take the hand wipe towelettes at the grocery store. Part of it is as I've gotten older, colds and flu have been harder to overcome.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
One reason I found and posted this is I got a bit freaked by seeing "Contagion" on cable. Eeek. Always been a little bit of a germ-a-phobe. Not quite Howard Hughes, but the first to take the hand wipe towelettes at the grocery store. Part of it is as I've gotten older, colds and flu have been harder to overcome.
Watched that a few times. I figure when it's your time it's your time. Wash your hands and don't touch your face. Don't cheat on your spouse while eating pork..lol..watch the movie..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote