modest trailer camper?

The Scamps and the Casita travel trailers are lightweight and good to travel with. The Oliver Trailers are even better, and they are built 40 miles from me.

But all the fiberglass trailers like these are very, very expensive. For the same money you can buy a much larger RV--twice as large.
The Olivers are beautiful, very well made.
The Casitas and Scamps are "Chevies" if the Oliver is a Lexus. A nice, nicely equipped ten year old 16' Scamp (like this one) can be bought for about $14K, used for about 5 years, and sold for about the same price. That would be unusual for a non-fiberglass trailer. But the non-fiberglass trailers do sell for less and give more sq ft per dollar.

Have been camping my whole life, with gear ranging from tents, pop-ups, hybrids, travel trailers (TT) and Class C motorhomes. Currently have a 26 foot TT towed with a Ford Expedition. I’m approaching capacity ratings when fully loaded. Got myself a Hensley Hitch that makes towing a breeze as there is NO sway can do 70 mph on highways. Have used it in Midwest and East Coast going over Allegany and Appalachian mountains (at a slower speed). Will probably get a 3/4 ton pickup in a few years to take it out West over the Rockies.

Beyond tow capacity considerations, think about the type of trips you want to take and type of destinations. Campsites for longer trailers are more limited, under 25’ is good, under 20’ even better. Pop-ups are great for single destinations or longer stays but not the best option if touring when you are moving around a lot. They also don’t typically have showers, thus not best for boondocking or National Parks. Beyond setup, you also can’t pull off the road and have a meal very easy with a pop-up. Smaller Hybrids are fairly light (4000 pounds), great for touring, but harder to cool in high heat destinations and harder to heat in colder destinations (high elevations) as tent ends have no insulation. The larger teardrops look interesting as they are lightweight, yet fairly well equipped.

Take your time and look around at various options. RV shows in the winter are a great place to check out the variety of options. Also, DISREGARD list prices as they are highly inflated - up to 50%. Do your homework and use sites like RV Trader to find best deals. You can save quite a bit if willing to shop around - even consider a 1-2 year old used trailer (I saved 10k, a third of the best new price buying a 1 year old barely used model). If a deal is too far away for you to pick up, consider hiring a RV transporter - they are not that expensive.

My aunt and uncle have a sweet little RPod that she tows with their VW Toareg. They are both over 6 feet tall and have enough headroom. It's pretty neat.

Here's the link to the website: http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID

Maybe forum members can start posting pictures of their small travel trailers with their mid-size tow vehicle for inspiration?

Maybe forum members can start posting pictures of their small travel trailers with their mid-size tow vehicle for inspiration?

This is a stock photo of what I'm driving down to AZ this weekend to pick up, a four season Outdoor RV 20FQ. DW and I are longtime backpackers and hikers, but unless we're backpacking, we're done with tent camping. Looking forward to hitting the road, even in winter for ski trips throughout the west.

5b087be9787f6312875588a7.jpg

Last edited:
Effective frontal area can also be a concern, the more detailed towing guides spec this out as well. The air drag at 70 MPH from a square-corned slab front that is 7+ feet wide and 7+ ft tall is considerable, as is the negative pressure at the back of a square-bodied trailer. This is added to the weight factors when climbing a grade. This is where a pop-up, hybrid, or rounded off molded fiberglass trailer can have an advantage if the tow vehicle's capacity is in question. Obviously, it impacts gas mileage a lot, no matter what. Towing a low 3000 lb speedboat affects mileage a lot less than a 3000 lb box-body trailer.

Travel trailer comments

Many great comments so far, so having camped for years I will add a few more.
I have had 2 popups and 2 "Stick and Tin" trailers before I bought a used Argosy 21 foot 2 axle trailer. A cousin of the Airstream. I would trade for a casita or Scamp if the opportunity came along. The Stick and tin (wood frame covered with aluminum siding) trailer can have a lot of roof related problems as they hit the 5 plus year mark. I agree 100% to rent a unit and see if you like that style of camping before you dive into a 10-50k investment just to find that it is not your cup of tea. Insurance, Storage and purchase price and depreciation are all part of the "cost " Whether you travel or it sits in the driveway. Spend 30k on a new unit and ask, how many nights in a decent hotel can you spend? Some will argue that you have no bed bugs, your own bed etc. JUST a thought. Many people buy campers and they sit in the driveway or gravel storage lot for years and only get used once or twice a year. Livin Lite Camp lite was not mentioned yet. They have an all aluminum frame and shell. Pr icy but nice. Also your ability to tow and maneuver a trailer is a factor to consider if you have never done it before. Small toy box trailer can haul mobility scooters and even golf carts and bikes and can be very handy as well. A lot to toss around, Good luck to you on your decision. Enjoy your travels, how ever you choose to go. Bill

Last edited:
Joined in Dec 2011, guess it is time I get my first post in! :) Hoping to retire at the end of this year at 55.

Bought a three year old Airstream seven years ago for half the price of new. DW and I love it. We are out in it 150 nights per year working the bucket list of places we want to see or enjoying extended stays in places we enjoy. Our trailer is now ten years old and has depreciated only 10% from our purchase price. We keep it well maintained including occasional trips to the factory service center at the manufacturing plant in Ohio. This trailer will definitely serve us another 15 years when we’ll be in our late 70’s. Airstreams, unlike many box trailers, are made to last and made to be used. Our biggest surprise has been the number of new friends we’ve met in our travels. The wonderful Airstream community is the free bonus you get when you become an Airstream owner.

We have an Airstream only campground in Helen,.GA. Owners are somewhat of a family.

You are right about their longivity. However many Airstreams are in the $125k price range which is far above the financial capabilities of most people. That is four times the cost of my nice fifth wheel with 4 slides. And then a $60k diesel truck is needed to tow one. I would still like a good used popup to travel inexpensively in.

............ The wonderful Airstream community is the free bonus you get when you become an Airstream owner.
The OP was looking for a modest trailer. Which Airstream would fit that category?

Here's our 16ft 2012 Bambi. Not exactly "modest" but Airstreams are the Cadillac of campers. A used 5-10 year old Bambi runs in the $30K range ($40Kish new) and they do hold their value pretty well. We tow it with a 6 cy Toyota Tacoma. It has a GVW of 3500 lbs. There's lots of examples on the Airstream forum of towing them with a smaller vehicle; its just how fast you want to climb hills. The Tacoma handles the Cascades and Rocky Mtn passes OK.

Attachments

• IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 35
For the 10 years before we retired in '89, we traveled just about every weekend and all of our vacations via a Ford HiTop Van... hitting every State and Federal campground within 250 miles of Chicago and Saratoga NY. It was travel and explore.

We finally retired, and moved to our Woodhaven Il campground, living in a 27' trailer then a Park Model. BTW... Woodhaven is the world's largest family campground (6200 sites)

A point about destinations... as owners at Woodhaven Lakes, we also became part of the "Coast to Coast Camping Association". Probably something that anyone who wants to travel and explore should consider.

https://www.coastresorts.com/
The breadth of information is endless, and the convenience of belonging means easy reservations and lots of information about the area where campgrounds are located. A Good Sam organization.

Last edited:
DH and I went from tent camping to a windup camper trailer which was great, very roomy and easy to set up but last year we sold it to by a small caravan because the rheumatoid arthritis in his hands meant he could no longer put the bars in above the bed, and I am too short to do it, can't reach.

The caravan a Jergens is only 16 feet from front of the tow hitch to the back tail light and it's a bit of a squeeze inside, but it is light enough for our Xtrail to tow. In fact we have recently returned from a 10,000km trip through the south and eastern states of Australia, and it handled so well we were almost unaware that we were towing a van, unless we were actually ascending a hill.

We have all the comforts of home with a small fridge/freezer double bed, kitchen sink, stove, table and seating area. As we spent so much time traveling and sight seeing, we didn't often erect the awning and annex walls, but they would provide additional space and protection from the sun and rain were we to spend more than a few days in one location.

I will upload a photo separately if I can, for the sake of this discussion.

Jergens Rascal

I have attached a photo of our rig, for the sake of this discussion. Jergens Rascal being towed by a 2004 model Nissan XTrail.

Attachments

• 30 Oct 17 smlst.jpg
    30 Oct 17 smlst.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 32
albireo13:

My wife and I used to own a campground, sold it 9 years ago.

People with Jayco campers were the happiest. Not saying Jayco RVs/campers are the best and I'm sure there is better value for the money. BUT, Jayco folks had the biggest smiles.

Also, if you are camping in an area with aggressive bears don't get a soft sided camper. There are campgrounds that ban them outright, I think all of them are in the Northwest.

I sense the OP has lost interest in this thread since his eldest son just announced he would like to return to college and get a bachelor's degree, with some parental financial support.

Ah well, it was a nice dream . . .

Heading out Tuesday for a week in our fifth wheel in the Blue Ridge Mountains. There will be three kids and four adults. The girls will sleep in the front bedroom and the guys will be in the bunkhouse room that sleeps 5. We have 3 big screen televisions.and cable tv connections.

The Georgia Mountain Fair is going on, and we will be Shootin the Hooch on big tubes. Otherwise we will be hanging by the pool and maybe playing a game of Monopoly.

Now if I could just get all to leave their tablets at home. Nah!

I sense the OP has lost interest in this thread since his eldest son just announced he would like to return to college and get a bachelor's degree, with some parental financial support.

Ah well, it was a nice dream . . .

Hi,
Haven't lost interest. Just put this dream on the back burner for awhile.
<sigh>

I was in the Black Hills area of South Dakota last week.

I saw many forest River R-Pods being towed and in the various campgrounds by smaller vehicles.

It is very hilly country there. At one campground I saw 5 in a row camping.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom