Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #201

Thanks, xyz! We've taken it out on two one-night "shakedown" trips and it is wonderful! I'm getting used to driving it (actually it's quite easy to drive except in high winds and close quarters - both expected and understandable). Also getting everything fitted out inside - my goal is to have everything set up so that loading for a short trip (less than a week) will take less than an hour after we bring the coach over from the storage lot. Someone from church who also RVs clued me in on extra-giant size Ziploc bags (available on Amazon) for storing towels, bedding, etc. and for transporting clothes, etc. back and forth. Wonderful discovery!

We even unintentionally tried out the cold-weather tolerances as it went into the high teens the night we went up north of Dallas. Nothing froze! We don't plan to use it in that kind of weather often, but it's good to know it can take it.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #202
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Congrats! You got what you wanted and saved a bundle by buying slightly used.

Tell us more: Which chassis, Ford, Chevy or Dodge? Gas or diesel?

We're also heading out on a long western road trip later this week. I'll be watching for a black lab - and a new Bengal driver with a huge grin on his face.
Well, I am looking at RVs again. During my last western road trip, I was offered a few thousand $ more than I had invested in the Bengal Tiger so I decided to sell. The buyers were a couple from Alaska. The pup and I logged almost 10,000 miles in the Tiger during our brief ownership and had a great time. The gain on the sale covered all of our ownership costs and travel expenses (including over $3k for fuel) with a bit of cash left over.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Well, I am looking at RVs again. During my last western road trip, I was offered a few thousand $ more than I had invested in the Bengal Tiger so I decided to sell. The buyers were a couple from Alaska. The pup and I logged almost 10,000 miles in the Tiger during our brief ownership and had a great time. The gain on the sale covered all of our ownership costs and travel expenses (including over $3k for fuel) with a bit of cash left over.
Good news: You got to use it free and made a little money!

The bad news: You gotta go RV shopping again!

Are you planning to buy something similar next time?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The bad news: You gotta go RV shopping again!

Are you planning to buy something similar next time?
I will likely stay with something similar in size since I enjoy spending time in somewhat remote areas (of national forests or other public lands) and rarely use developed sites/campgrounds. There were times when I would have enjoyed a bit more room but not sure the trade-off (less mobility) would be worth it.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #205

Good luck on your search for a replacement and please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Thanks, xyz! We've taken it out on two one-night "shakedown" trips and it is wonderful! I'm getting used to driving it (actually it's quite easy to drive except in high winds and close quarters - both expected and understandable). Also getting everything fitted out inside - my goal is to have everything set up so that loading for a short trip (less than a week) will take less than an hour after we bring the coach over from the storage lot. Someone from church who also RVs clued me in on extra-giant size Ziploc bags (available on Amazon) for storing towels, bedding, etc. and for transporting clothes, etc. back and forth. Wonderful discovery!

We even unintentionally tried out the cold-weather tolerances as it went into the high teens the night we went up north of Dallas. Nothing froze! We don't plan to use it in that kind of weather often, but it's good to know it can take it.
I just saw the pics of the new rig, congrats!! She's a beauty. Do you have any trips planned for the summer?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #207

Update - we got back Saturday night from our first really extended trip: 24 days and 4317 miles from TX to CT and back with LOTS of stops to see family, friends, and museums. It was wonderful!!! Only a few mechanical issues and nothing that delayed us by more than a few hours. Already planning a long trip for the dog days next year - it was awesome to have a break from the interminable summer heat down here.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #208
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cool. We spent two months in Alaska - got back middle of August. Really didn't want to come home, but DW insisted...

Michigan on Monday...
Old 10-29-2014, 05:18 AM   #209
Confused about dryer sheets

We just purchased one this spring. The decision was made after we rented a Winnebago Class A this spring for vacation. The life style is not for everyone but we love it. Our plan is to do short trips until we retire in 2015 and then hit the road part time. After a lot of searching and test driving we ended up with a Winnebago Adventurer 35 footer. See if you can get hubby to do some long weekend close by trips. We started that way to save drive time and visit places we never see close to home. That gave us both the bug. Have fun.
michealwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #210
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am looking for a Pleasurey Way Traverse, Sportsmobile RB11 or a Roadtrek N6. Can't seem to find any in georgia. Any suggestions?
dnorton50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #211
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorton50 View Post
I am looking for a Pleasurey Way Traverse, Sportsmobile RB11 or a Roadtrek N6. Can't seem to find any in georgia. Any suggestions?
I can only offer general suggestions, but have you tried the sites that search all of Craigslist? If you're open to widening your search area and buying one from a neighboring state, that could help expedite the search.

All of Craigslist

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #212

I would also suggest that you not restrict your search to GA, particularly if you are looking for a specific make/model. I bought my previous RV from a couple living in AZ - I was in Alabama at the time.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #213

I would strongly suggest searching online for units in FL, AZ, TX, NM. Common place for "snowbirds" to park their homes for the final time. Also, these geographic regions don't cover their highways with salt as often that will eat the undercarriage of the vehicle! Worth the road trip!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #214

As others have said, you need to widen your search to other states. Here is an excellent place to search if you haven't already found it: Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes We sold our motorhome through PPL a few years ago and I found them to be very professional.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #215
Recycles dryer sheets

Great thread!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #216

I'm miffed that I can't figure out a way to justify buying this: 2009 Carriage Cameo F33CKQ 5th Wheel RV | eBay

This is a very nice, well cared for quality 5th wheel trailer at a really good price. I know the couple selling it (health reasons) and I have looked at all sorts of ways to justify buying it, but can't get past the cost of having to buy a bigger truck - mine is undersized for hauling a trailer this heavy. It's a true bargain and someone is going to get a real buy if they bid high enough to meet the reserve.

Sigh...
Old 04-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #217
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Scanning this thread brings back some memories.

Two years ago, when fighting my serious illness, I thought that if and when I got through I would get myself a new class C or class B. What's money? One cannot take it with him.

And now, looking through rvtrader-dot-com and seeing all kinds of new RVs, I no longer feel the desire to spend money. I am back to my frugal self. Or perhaps I am thinking I might just live till 90 like many posters here expect, and have to have financial reserve for it?

Nah! It's just frugality. My current class C has served me well. Getting a new one will not get me excited for long. The only advantage of getting a new and smaller one would be so that my wife feels confident enough to drive it. But if and when I can no longer drive, perhaps my wife can't either, or I might just want to stay home.

So, only RV web shopping for now.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #218
Recycles dryer sheets

I am making plans to join the RV community this fall. My frugal nature will not allow me to buy new. My 6 months of research has me planning to purchase a 10 year old, 45 foot class A by October 1st this year. 10 years old appears to be the sweet spot in the depreciation vs functionality of diesel RVs.

I have never spent time camping in an RV. So, big changes are forth coming as DW and I target a 4/1/2016 retirement. We need to purchase the RV, downsize the home situation, sell a couple of older cars and purchase a towed (2015 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk).

We don't plan on full-timing... just long trips in the spring and fall.
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #219
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are you comfortable driving a 60+ foot long vehicle? (45 foot rv and 15 feet for the towable)
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #220
Recycles dryer sheets

>> Are you comfortable driving a 60+ foot long vehicle?

No choice but to become comfortable... both DW and myself. We have never experienced this. The only driving school for RVs that I have found requires you to bring your own RV. So, the first season of ownership will have us taking small practice trips.

The really scary part is buying a unit out of state and driving it home as a first timer. I live in AZ, but Florida has the best used RV selection.
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote