Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have a new 32" LCD TV and wall mount sitting in the corner of my den, ready to be installed. Neighbor bought a new 41' (!) 5th wheel, didn't want a TV in the bedroom and sold it to me for cheap...
There are some outrageous 5ers out there now...41', yikes. Our coach has an outside entertainment system that includes a 32" flat screen. Personally I thought that was absurd and asked if they could remove it. They would not discount the MH, so we left it there. Not sure if we will try to remove it or not.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Yeah SarahW, I knew it was an electric insert, but I had to jazz you a little. Never saw one in a MH. We have the same style in our house and it works great on cold days. Here's to great traveling!
Thanks, Johnnie. We can all use a little "jazzing" from time to time!! I was surprised at how well that electric insert works. Very efficient little unit.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have stayed in many campgrounds in national parks or forests such as Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Grand Teton, etc..., and they have no hookups. Running the generator to charge the battery gets old quick. Many first-time RV'ers do not appreciate the fact that it takes several hours of genset time to charge the batteries, particularly if the RV manufacturer puts in a "cheapo" charger like the original one in mine. Even with the 3-stage charger that I installed myself, it would still take an hour or more of genset time to charge, depending on how much we used the night before.

Hence, the installation of the solar panel. I may have to add more, but this 210W panel is the start. The solar panel installed by most RV manufacturers is mostly to keep the battery from going dead when the MH is parked. They may supply only 5W, because that's all it takes for battery maintenance, and to keep the owner from having to have the MH plugged in while in storage.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #44

Since our MH is in covered storage, the solar panel is useless for keeping the battery charged while stored. Our storage facility includes electrical service so we just keep the coach plugged in. We make a point of running the generator occasionally while we're on the road, too.

I wish we had the option of storing our MH here at the house, but unfortunately our HOA won't allow it.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Have you taken a trip out yet? 20+ years of motor homeing and still ready to run as soon as the DW says lets go.You dont need to charge the batteries if storage is 3-5 months. As long as you turrn off everything. My fleetwood has kill switches above the door as you walk out. No battery drain at all. Yes you should learn to drive it by your self. Genset on the road keeps everything cool so you dont melt the ice cream bars we eat as we drive.
Ron
may pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by may pop View Post
Have you taken a trip out yet? 20+ years of motor homeing and still ready to run as soon as the DW says lets go.You dont need to charge the batteries if storage is 3-5 months. As long as you turrn off everything. My fleetwood has kill switches above the door as you walk out. No battery drain at all. Yes you should learn to drive it by your self. Genset on the road keeps everything cool so you dont melt the ice cream bars we eat as we drive.
Ron
Hi Ron. Yep, we've made several trips now...we're getting to be old hands at this RV stuff and I'm totally HOOKED. The moho is some of the best money we ever wasted!!

Last weekend we bought a Jeep Wrangler to use as a toad, so I'm shopping for a tow bar, base plate, etc. Thanks for the info, and see ya on the road.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We should have a thread where we post pictures of our RV's - like the one where we post pictures of ourselves. It will be a very proud moment when I finally get my 26.5 foot Lazy Daze class C and post a picture of it here.

Congratulations Sarah!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
We should have a thread where we post pictures of our RV's - like the one where we post pictures of ourselves. It will be a very proud moment when I finally get my 26.5 foot Lazy Daze class C and post a picture of it here.

Congratulations Sarah!
Thanks, Tom. I hope you get that Lazy Daze soon...you will wonder why you waited so long. We bought ours last November and we are STILL GRINNING like idiots and loving it.

I'll be on the lookout for those pics!!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I get a bit older I'm going to look at Class B RVs. Something small, but fully loaded so that I can satisfy my love for travel. Right now here's my RV, I'm the motor and it's fueled on bacon and pancakes.

SarahW your RV is way nicer than my house ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20110614-031042.jpg (72.5 KB, 19 views)

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #50

I've been trying to talk DW into a road trip on this bike but so far no go. I kinda like bikes that have a motor to do the hill-climbing for me. It gets about 45 mpg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike.jpg (134.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have pulled a Jeep for 15+ years of our Adventures. You will barely notice it behind the RV.
Ron
may pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You will barely notice it behind the RV.
Unless you need to back up....
Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You will barely notice it behind the RV.
Ron
... even when its parking brake is set, or when its tires run flat, or...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
When I get a bit older I'm going to look at Class B RVs. Something small, but fully loaded so that I can satisfy my love for travel. Right now here's my RV, I'm the motor and it's fueled on bacon and pancakes.

SarahW your RV is way nicer than my house ;-)
Nice looking rig you have there!!! (And hey, bacon and pancakes is cheaper than gasoline these days! )

The Class Bs are great; everything is compact and they are easy to drive.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've been trying to talk DW into a road trip on this bike but so far no go. I kinda like bikes that have a motor to do the hill-climbing for me. It gets about 45 mpg.
Gorgeous bike, Walt. (But I have to say, I'm with your wife on the road trip thing. ) Our moho gets 7.5-8 MPG, hah.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #57

Quote:
We have pulled a Jeep for 15+ years of our Adventures. You will barely notice it behind the RV.
Ron
That's what everybody says...but I have to wonder how much of a challenge it will be to fill up with gas. We already have to do some maneuvering and pump-blocking at the gas station. (I was feeling bad about that pump-blocking thing, till I remembered that we are buying as much gas as 4 cars, so let 'em wait...haha.)
Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... even when its parking brake is set, or when its tires run flat, or...
Hmmmm. Note to self: Order those 4 additional tire pressure monitor receivers ASAP.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #59

Quote:
Guess I need to learn the TOAD "quick disconnect and fire drill."
Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
TOAD "quick disconnect
From what I understand, there is no such thing.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote