Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Talk about hiding a back-up key somewhere in the RV to prevent self-lockout, I just now remember this encounter.

We have crossed the border many times, but this was the first time in a MH, and of course a MH has many nooks and crannies where "stuff' might be hidden.

When we crossed from the US to Canada, the Canadian custom did not give us much problem. I knew we were not supposed to bring in more than a certain amount of booze. Surely, they asked us about that, and of course any weapon, and that was pretty much it.

Coming back into the US, the US custom spent more time than when we were re-entering the US in a car. Mainly, they asked a lot of questions just to see our reactions. Following is part of the conversation that took place.
US Custom: "What did you buy or bring back from Canada?"
Me: "We still have some meat packages, and some fruits."
US Custom: "How about marijuana?"
Me laughing: "No, no marijuana!".

US Custom: "So, is this your own RV?"
Me: "Yes."
US Custom: "How long have you had it? How many trips?"
Me: "A little more than 3 years. This is my 3rd annual summer trip."
US Custom: "Any modifications?"
Me: "Oh yes, I added solar panel, extra batteries, charging systems..."
US Custom: "How about secret compartments?"
I bursted out laughing...
They did climb on board to look into the frig and took some lemons we still had left. Said it did not matter if we bought in the States and were bringing them back. Citrus not allowed regardless of source. Some other fruits OK if had stickers showing origin. Rules change from time to time, according to who-knows-what.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A solo traveler. My wife would never do that.
I'm acquainted with several women solo travellers - most of then 'van dwellers'. Some took off in their older years, a couple out of college. Interesting people.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #163

Getting our old Airstream Argosy (1976) ready for her annual trip to the mountains and our favorite music festival at the end of the month.

Repairs/upgrades for this summer are replacing all four rear tires and repair of blown water line to shower. Probably find a few more things to fix once we take a test drive, since we've only done one overnight so far this year in the motorhome.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

We own a MCI 5C bus conversion MH. Scheduled for a trip to Charlestown, SC in Nov.
Sarah, I love the Arogsy 24 & 28 footers. Great designs.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna5354
We own a MCI 5C bus conversion MH. Scheduled for a trip to Charlestown, SC in Nov.
Sarah, I love the Arogsy 24 & 28 footers. Great designs.
Cessna please give us a shout when you come to town! And, um, awkward, but we are Charleston-not Charlestown which might be up North somewhere.

We have the motorhome, but have been inside a few of the Argosy trailers as well. All fun and yet still work! Or at least our old girl is!

Let me know by PM if I can help with any plans for your November trip to the Holy City. Always glad to help!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

Whooops !!! Charleston, That is what I meant !!

I was refering to the Argosy MH's and not trailers. Great utilization of space, desirable layout, rear bath, Izusu diesel powered in 1980 IIRC.

I will be down for a college basketball tournament, I believe it is location at the University.

Thanks for your offer for assistance !!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #167

Oh, cool, Cessna-many folks mistake ours for the trailers when I say Argosy. I do like the layout, and our 76 has the honking 454 Chevy engine.

We bought it right after we'd been living on a 28 foot sailboat and it still seems enormous for lining space. Past upgrades included floor repairs and replacing the old carpet and lino with cork tiles, which turned out really well.

I'd love to see your bus conversion! I'm thinking the tournament would be at the College of Charleston, which is right downtown and walking distance to great restaurants and other amenities. Downtown is very compact, though, so not difficult to get around. Except your best bet for parking the bus will be one of the garages or at White Point Gardens at the very tip of the peninsula.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #168
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Wow! One key fits all MHs? Meaning you can walk around the campground until you see one of the same brand as yours, and ask to borrow their keys?

Anyway, in the worst case, when it comes to having to break a window to get in (I am still thinking about being locked out while in the wilderness), a big class A gives you more choices of ingress.
Many door and storage compartment keys/locks are indeed the same.

And I hope you have a ladder if you plan to break into a Class A. They are TALL.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Ok - since our last thread post we sold the Falcon, bought a one ton dually crew cab with a deisel engine, and a brand new truck camper. We call it the Panserbjorn: an armored bear. It just looks that way...

The Armored Bear by jglennhart, on Flickr

Oh yeah ... And DW retired *grin*
NICE!!! And congrats to your DW!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #170
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Ok - since our last thread post we sold the Falcon, bought a one ton dually crew cab with a deisel engine, and a brand new truck camper. We call it the Panserbjorn: an armored bear. It just looks that way...

The Armored Bear by jglennhart, on Flickr

Oh yeah ... And DW retired *grin*
beautiful rig...love the pics

R
Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the windows of a class A are high. Even the windows of my little class C would be difficult to get into.

Hence, I was imagining myself swinging from a nearby tree branch like Tarzan. I will have to practice the Tarzan yell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
And I hope you have a ladder if you plan to break into a Class A. They are TALL.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #172

Spent the last couple of days on a short trip to see and test drive one of these: Tiger Adventure Vehicles: The Bengal Tiger Model

I have been looking at small RVs for a while and like the small size and 4WD capability of the Tiger. I enjoy hiking/camping/travel in somewhat remote areas, primarily national forests with either gravel or unimproved roads. The small size would also allow use and easy parking in urban areas. They are a bit pricey (over $100k with the options I would want), but seem to hold their value quite well. It is very difficult to locate a used recent model Bengal for sale. They are built to order and take almost 4 months for delivery since they usually have orders out that far. Since I am not getting any younger, maybe I should "just do it" while still in good enough physical condition to enjoy it?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #173
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Spent the last couple of days on a short trip to see and test drive one of these: Tiger Adventure Vehicles: The Bengal Tiger Model
Wow, $100k+ is a huge chunk of change for something so small, but then the truck chassis alone sells for $50k - closer to $60k for the diesel version.

I say if you think you can buy it without seriously damaging your future financial well-being, then do it. It's tough to go RVing once you are in the nursing home...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

I remember seeing the list price of some of the Chinook RVs at around $150K. I am sure that they were very well made. Some were also on a 4x4 chassis. The company is defunct, but the used RVs appear to stay hot and in demand.

For that price, I am just too cheap to pay, and will have to explore tough roads with the toad. Wife is also scared of sleeping in the real boondocks.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow, $100k+ is a huge chunk of change for something so small, but then the truck chassis alone sells for $50k - closer to $60k for the diesel version.

I say if you think you can buy it without seriously damaging your future financial well-being, then do it. It's tough to go RVing once you are in the nursing home...
While talking with Tiger Adventure Vehicles about ordering a new Bengal, they mentioned a 2011 Bengal that someone in Tucson wanted to sell. It was built less than a year ago and had just under 12,000 miles. The ask price was over $86k. I was able to make a deal for a lesser price, and he delivered it to me last Thursday. After a good cleaning, it looks like a new rig.

Coal (black lab) and I are planning to head out on a long western road trip in a few days. I've been busy ordering/buying stuff that I want to take along.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Coal (black lab) and I are planning to head out on a long western road trip in a few days. I've been busy ordering/buying stuff that I want to take along.
Congrats! You got what you wanted and saved a bundle by buying slightly used.

Tell us more: Which chassis, Ford, Chevy or Dodge? Gas or diesel?

We're also heading out on a long western road trip later this week. I'll be watching for a black lab - and a new Bengal driver with a huge grin on his face.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Tell us more: Which chassis, Ford, Chevy or Dodge? Gas or diesel?

We're also heading out on a long western road trip later this week. I'll be watching for a black lab - and a new Bengal driver with a huge grin on his face.
Chevy extended cab, gas engine, with most of the options I would have ordered. I ended up paying $75k plus delivery cost so thought I got a decent deal. Here is the Bengal I bought - still shown on the company website:
Consignment Unit: 2011 Bengal Tiger 4×4 | Tiger Adventure Vehicles

Flag me down if you see us on the road someplace! Bengal with Alabama tag.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #178

Sounds like you got an excellent deal!

I'll keep an eye out for you. Our truck is almost a twin - a white 2011 Chevy 2500HD, but the crew cab version. We're towing a Jayco Eagle 5th wheel.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Very nice! What I like about this is the ability to get to the driver seat without going outside. The 4x4 drive is great. Looks like a good deal compared to buying spanking new.

PS. I just see that it has a compressor fridge and a 130W solar panel. Would be interesting to see if the high-efficiency fridge can be sustained with just the solar panel.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
PS. I just see that it has a compressor fridge and a 130W solar panel. Would be interesting to see if the high-efficiency fridge can be sustained with just the solar panel.
According to the previous owner, the solar panel will keep the coach batteries charged with the fridge running (assuming at least a partial sunny day). I have left the fridge running where it has been parked since Friday and have not run the generator or connected to shore power (except briefly one day to try the AC and microwave). So far no battery or fridge issues. I will let you know how it does after I take my upcoming road trip.