Motorhome!

A fireplace! A fireplace?? I've seen everything now. SarahW, that MH is beautiful.

No, I am not equipped to go off-road like some guys who have something like this:

img_1141862_0_fdba52ee5cd2d6b0d467d5dc55340229.jpg

:eek: Just when I think I've seen it all. :LOL:

... I'd love a traveling companion!!
Have you checked out the Escapees RV club? Many RV bloggers belong to this club. It's not for introverts like my wife and me, but some people surely enjoy membership to this club.

Last edited:
Have you checked out the Escapees RV club? Many RV bloggers belong to this club. It's not for introverts like my wife and me, but some people surely enjoy membership to this club.
Yes, I have seen the Escapees board, thanks. (And the "companion" remark was just a response to Walt's tease.;) I already have a traveling companion, if he will ever decide to retire!)

Congrats on your purchase. Looks very plush. We are on the opposite end of the spectrum with a 16' trailer (people stare at the 4 people and 2 dogs piling out of it in the morning like they are watching all the clowns get out of the tiny car at the circus).

If you do not already have one, get a Pentagon Federal Credit Union credit crd. They offer unlimited 5% rebates on gas.

Congrats on your purchase. Looks very plush. We are on the opposite end of the spectrum with a 16' trailer (people stare at the 4 people and 2 dogs piling out of it in the morning like they are watching all the clowns get out of the tiny car at the circus).

If you do not already have one, get a Pentagon Federal Credit Union credit crd. They offer unlimited 5% rebates on gas.

Thanks! And I know that "clown car" look. We have five children. :D (They are all grown up now, though.)

Thanks for the credit card tip; we can use all the gasoline discounts we can get.

Thanks so much, Johnnie! Of course that's an electric heater, but the good news is that it gives out a lot of heat and looks cool, too.

:LOL:

Yeah SarahW, I knew it was an electric insert, but I had to jazz you a little. Never saw one in a MH. We have the same style in our house and it works great on cold days. Here's to great traveling!

Three years ago, when I first entertained the idea of owning an RV, we looked at a travel trailer made by Jayco. I cannot remember if it was an 18' or 20', but it was definitely one in their Feather Lite series. What was interesting was that this little TT even had a "fireplace". Just now look online, but it appears that Jayco dropped that feature.

Would have bought that TT if I could tell for sure that my SUV wouldn't have any problem pulling it uphill in the mountainous roads out here in the West. In our not-so-extensive travel, we already encountered a few 10% grade. My MH labored up those grades (and down too!) in 1st gear, pulling the toad, while I kept an eye on the engine temperature gauge. With the engine working hard as it was, the temp needle did not budge! Superb cooling system, I'd say.

Another thing that steered me away from a TT was that though my SUV delivered 22MPG on the highway, it would drop precipitously pulling a few thousand pounds (according to info I got from the Web), down to the low teens easily. And I did not want to trade it in for a beefier V8 pickup. On the other hand, my MH averaged 9.2MPG pulling the toad over our last trip that included many legs over the Rocky mountain. A satisfied customer here!

Anyway, Sarah, I knew you were joking, but from what I saw on the web, there are many women RV'ers who are solo travelers. And they seem to know each other. They are full-timers though, and having a network for moral support fills a need.

PS. I am going to get myself a ScanGauge to be able to better monitor the MH engine.

Last edited:
Got a nice, nice 210W solar panel sitting in the garage, waiting to be installed.

Heh heh heh...

I have a new 32" LCD TV and wall mount sitting in the corner of my den, ready to be installed. Neighbor bought a new 41' (!) 5th wheel, didn't want a TV in the bedroom and sold it to me for cheap...

One of the real joys of RVing is the opportunity to spend lots of money on toys and accessories - as my budget reflects.

Can I get an "amen." We have had a lot of fun buying "stuff" and outfitting the MH. Now I need to stay away from Camping World for a while.

Got a nice, nice 210W solar panel sitting in the garage, waiting to be installed.

Heh heh heh...

That sounds cool. Our Bounder came with a small solar panel that charges the house batteries. Sooner or later I will figure out how all this stuff works. :blush:

I have a new 32" LCD TV and wall mount sitting in the corner of my den, ready to be installed. Neighbor bought a new 41' (!) 5th wheel, didn't want a TV in the bedroom and sold it to me for cheap...

There are some outrageous 5ers out there now...41', yikes. Our coach has an outside entertainment system that includes a 32" flat screen. Personally I thought that was absurd and asked if they could remove it. They would not discount the MH, so we left it there. Not sure if we will try to remove it or not.

Yeah SarahW, I knew it was an electric insert, but I had to jazz you a little. Never saw one in a MH. We have the same style in our house and it works great on cold days. Here's to great traveling!

Thanks, Johnnie. We can all use a little "jazzing" from time to time!! :D I was surprised at how well that electric insert works. Very efficient little unit.

We have stayed in many campgrounds in national parks or forests such as Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Grand Teton, etc..., and they have no hookups. Running the generator to charge the battery gets old quick. Many first-time RV'ers do not appreciate the fact that it takes several hours of genset time to charge the batteries, particularly if the RV manufacturer puts in a "cheapo" charger like the original one in mine. Even with the 3-stage charger that I installed myself, it would still take an hour or more of genset time to charge, depending on how much we used the night before.

Hence, the installation of the solar panel. I may have to add more, but this 210W panel is the start. The solar panel installed by most RV manufacturers is mostly to keep the battery from going dead when the MH is parked. They may supply only 5W, because that's all it takes for battery maintenance, and to keep the owner from having to have the MH plugged in while in storage.

Last edited:
Since our MH is in covered storage, the solar panel is useless for keeping the battery charged while stored. Our storage facility includes electrical service so we just keep the coach plugged in. We make a point of running the generator occasionally while we're on the road, too.

I wish we had the option of storing our MH here at the house, but unfortunately our HOA won't allow it.

Have you taken a trip out yet? 20+ years of motor homeing and still ready to run as soon as the DW says lets go.You dont need to charge the batteries if storage is 3-5 months. As long as you turrn off everything. My fleetwood has kill switches above the door as you walk out. No battery drain at all. Yes you should learn to drive it by your self. Genset on the road keeps everything cool so you dont melt the ice cream bars we eat as we drive.
Ron

Have you taken a trip out yet? 20+ years of motor homeing and still ready to run as soon as the DW says lets go.You dont need to charge the batteries if storage is 3-5 months. As long as you turrn off everything. My fleetwood has kill switches above the door as you walk out. No battery drain at all. Yes you should learn to drive it by your self. Genset on the road keeps everything cool so you dont melt the ice cream bars we eat as we drive.
Ron

Hi Ron. Yep, we've made several trips now...we're getting to be old hands at this RV stuff and I'm totally HOOKED. :) The moho is some of the best money we ever wasted!! ;)

Last weekend we bought a Jeep Wrangler to use as a toad, so I'm shopping for a tow bar, base plate, etc. Thanks for the info, and see ya on the road.

We should have a thread where we post pictures of our RV's - like the one where we post pictures of ourselves. It will be a very proud moment when I finally get my 26.5 foot Lazy Daze class C and post a picture of it here.

Congratulations Sarah!

We should have a thread where we post pictures of our RV's - like the one where we post pictures of ourselves. It will be a very proud moment when I finally get my 26.5 foot Lazy Daze class C and post a picture of it here.

Congratulations Sarah!

Thanks, Tom. I hope you get that Lazy Daze soon...you will wonder why you waited so long. We bought ours last November and we are STILL GRINNING like idiots and loving it.

I'll be on the lookout for those pics!! :D

When I get a bit older I'm going to look at Class B RVs. Something small, but fully loaded so that I can satisfy my love for travel. Right now here's my RV, I'm the motor and it's fueled on bacon and pancakes.

SarahW your RV is way nicer than my house ;-)

Attachments

• 20110614-031042.jpg
    20110614-031042.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I've been trying to talk DW into a road trip on this bike but so far no go. I kinda like bikes that have a motor to do the hill-climbing for me. It gets about 45 mpg.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom