Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I see that S&T is relatively cheap so I may go ahead and spring for it. I don't see any harm in having both...haha. Thanks for the info about the POI megafiles.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We are still seeking out "pull through" campgrounds.
"Go-Aheads" a friend, (when my late wife & I were fulltiming), used to call them.

Anecdote 1) Coming up the Natchez Trace, (we hauling a 28' 5th wheel and our friends following us in their huge Monaco motor home c/w toad), I led us off the wrong exit........no probs...swung around to head back.

Our friends disappeared for almost half an hour.......they had to go 8 miles before they could find a turnaround spot.

Anecdote 2) Crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in our car we stopped at the mid-way rest area for a walk and a lookaround.....guy in a big motorhome, who'd also stopped, headed for the wrong merge point on his way out......realized his error, tried in vain to turn around, and eventually had to go right back the way he'd come......."To Infinity.....and Beyond", to quote Buzz Lightyear!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
"Go-Aheads" a friend, (when my late wife & I were fulltiming), used to call them.

Anecdote 1) Coming up the Natchez Trace, (we hauling a 28' 5th wheel and our friends following us in their huge Monaco motor home c/w toad), I led us off the wrong exit........no probs...swung around to head back.

Our friends disappeared for almost half an hour.......they had to go 8 miles before they could find a turnaround spot.

Anecdote 2) Crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in our car we stopped at the mid-way rest area for a walk and a lookaround.....guy in a big motorhome, who'd also stopped, headed for the wrong merge point on his way out......realized his error, tried in vain to turn around, and eventually had to go right back the way he'd come......."To Infinity.....and Beyond", to quote Buzz Lightyear!
One of our friends has a 38' Holiday Rambler DP and pulls a trailer with her Lincoln SUV on it.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
About the GPS, I bought MS Streets & Trips which came with a GPS dongle to use on my laptop. Laptop screen looks gigantic compared to my portable GPS screen, which I use for hiking. Laptop sits nicely on the deep dashboard.
If you don't mind spending a bit more there is Delorme topo North America which can be linked to a gps and gives you topographic map coverage of the entire country, more than streets. It will also do routing if desired. Not having a gps I don't know about live turn by turn directions.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I saw that Delorme Topo, but it was overkill for where I could go with my MH. If one has a 4x4 RV that can go off-road, that program would be really cool.

As it is, I was just on some small winding mountainous highways that caused me to sweat plenty with my small 25' MH towing a car. A 40' class A? You would need one that can bend in the middle, like those articulated buses.

No, I am not equipped to go off-road like some guys who have something like this:

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #26

A fireplace! A fireplace?? I've seen everything now. SarahW, that MH is beautiful.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
A fireplace! A fireplace?? I've seen everything now.
Yeah, but lugging that firewood along is a real drag.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #28

Quote:
No, I am not equipped to go off-road like some guys who have something like this:

Just when I think I've seen it all.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
A fireplace! A fireplace?? I've seen everything now. SarahW, that MH is beautiful.
Thanks so much, Johnnie! Of course that's an electric heater, but the good news is that it gives out a lot of heat and looks cool, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yeah, but lugging that firewood along is a real drag.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I'd love a traveling companion!!
Have you checked out the Escapees RV club? Many RV bloggers belong to this club. It's not for introverts like my wife and me, but some people surely enjoy membership to this club.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Have you checked out the Escapees RV club? Many RV bloggers belong to this club. It's not for introverts like my wife and me, but some people surely enjoy membership to this club.
Yes, I have seen the Escapees board, thanks. (And the "companion" remark was just a response to Walt's tease. I already have a traveling companion, if he will ever decide to retire!)
Old 12-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on your purchase. Looks very plush. We are on the opposite end of the spectrum with a 16' trailer (people stare at the 4 people and 2 dogs piling out of it in the morning like they are watching all the clowns get out of the tiny car at the circus).

If you do not already have one, get a Pentagon Federal Credit Union credit crd. They offer unlimited 5% rebates on gas.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Looks very plush. We are on the opposite end of the spectrum with a 16' trailer (people stare at the 4 people and 2 dogs piling out of it in the morning like they are watching all the clowns get out of the tiny car at the circus).

If you do not already have one, get a Pentagon Federal Credit Union credit crd. They offer unlimited 5% rebates on gas.
Thanks! And I know that "clown car" look. We have five children. (They are all grown up now, though.)

Thanks for the credit card tip; we can use all the gasoline discounts we can get.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #34

Quote:
Thanks so much, Johnnie! Of course that's an electric heater, but the good news is that it gives out a lot of heat and looks cool, too.

Yeah SarahW, I knew it was an electric insert, but I had to jazz you a little. Never saw one in a MH. We have the same style in our house and it works great on cold days. Here's to great traveling!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Three years ago, when I first entertained the idea of owning an RV, we looked at a travel trailer made by Jayco. I cannot remember if it was an 18' or 20', but it was definitely one in their Feather Lite series. What was interesting was that this little TT even had a "fireplace". Just now look online, but it appears that Jayco dropped that feature.

Would have bought that TT if I could tell for sure that my SUV wouldn't have any problem pulling it uphill in the mountainous roads out here in the West. In our not-so-extensive travel, we already encountered a few 10% grade. My MH labored up those grades (and down too!) in 1st gear, pulling the toad, while I kept an eye on the engine temperature gauge. With the engine working hard as it was, the temp needle did not budge! Superb cooling system, I'd say.

Another thing that steered me away from a TT was that though my SUV delivered 22MPG on the highway, it would drop precipitously pulling a few thousand pounds (according to info I got from the Web), down to the low teens easily. And I did not want to trade it in for a beefier V8 pickup. On the other hand, my MH averaged 9.2MPG pulling the toad over our last trip that included many legs over the Rocky mountain. A satisfied customer here!

Anyway, Sarah, I knew you were joking, but from what I saw on the web, there are many women RV'ers who are solo travelers. And they seem to know each other. They are full-timers though, and having a network for moral support fills a need.

PS. I am going to get myself a ScanGauge to be able to better monitor the MH engine.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #36

Quote:
PS. I am going to get myself a ScanGauge to be able to better monitor the MH engine.
One of the real joys of RVing is the opportunity to spend lots of money on toys and accessories - as my budget reflects.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Got a nice, nice 210W solar panel sitting in the garage, waiting to be installed.

Heh heh heh...

Old 12-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #38

I have a new 32" LCD TV and wall mount sitting in the corner of my den, ready to be installed. Neighbor bought a new 41' (!) 5th wheel, didn't want a TV in the bedroom and sold it to me for cheap...
Old 12-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One of the real joys of RVing is the opportunity to spend lots of money on toys and accessories - as my budget reflects.
Can I get an "amen." We have had a lot of fun buying "stuff" and outfitting the MH. Now I need to stay away from Camping World for a while.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Got a nice, nice 210W solar panel sitting in the garage, waiting to be installed.

Heh heh heh...
That sounds cool. Our Bounder came with a small solar panel that charges the house batteries. Sooner or later I will figure out how all this stuff works.