Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #141
Dryer sheet aficionado

Kite festival Grand Haven Michigan
Sand Dunes at silver lake For 10 day at the Fourth of July
may pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

I love Michigan's U.P. Enjoy your trip.

We have a few trips planned in our Class B. The first will be to Wash DC. We've been invited to a Marine Corp Ceremony in June - we'll do some other sight seeing too but will only be there a couple days. In July, we will head to the Niagra Falls area for wedding.

Late summer, we will do our large trip to visit friends in Wyoming. On the way, we will spend a couple days in the Black Hills area as we will head to Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks. I think this will be about a three week trip - our longest. I might be fully retired by then so this will be my first chance to see if I can adapt to getting away and not have a schedule or calendar to worry about.
jim747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim747 View Post
I love Michigan's U.P. Enjoy your trip. ...............

Thanks, visiting the UP is the closest thing to time travel.

Can't go wrong with Yellowstone and the Tetons.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...this will be my first chance to see if I can adapt to getting away and not have a schedule or calendar to worry about.
If you can't, I pity you - and your poor DW.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you can't, I pity you - and your poor DW.
40 years ago, the DW and I didn't have a lot of money to splurge on a honeymoon so we camped our way across the Michigan U.P. and down through wisconsin. We've talked about retracing our steps this summer. We've made a number of week long trips but have never been able to be away for three weeks. I have a feeling we'll adapt quite well.
jim747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #146

Quote:
40 years ago, the DW and I didn't have a lot of money to splurge on a honeymoon so we camped our way across the Michigan U.P. and down through wisconsin. We've talked about retracing our steps this summer. We've made a number of week long trips but have never been able to be away for three weeks. I have a feeling we'll adapt quite well.
+1

43 years ago, the DW and I didn't have a lot of money to splurge on a honeymoon but we (actually only DW) spent it in the hospital following an emergency appendectomy. Neither of us have any plans to retrace our steps...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #147
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You!

Where are you going?
Weeeeeell, since my hubby is STILL WORKING , we are limited to short trips (1 week at a time). We are heading for Colorado in June.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #148
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since this thread just got bumped back up into my consciousness (thanks SarahW and have a great time in Colorado), here's something that just came to my attention.

Andy Baird, the author of the site Travels with Andy, has been selling an e-document for a while now. Called "Eureka!", it's full of tips and information for RV'ers. Lots of good stuff in there. Some of it you'll already know, other times you'll think "Why didn't I think of that?" Anyway, he's just decided to publish it free on his site instead of selling it. You can find it here. It's good reading for RV'ers.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

If you will be near a National Forest, I think this site/directory is the bees' knees (or the muts' nuts, your choice) for Forest campgrounds: Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #150

Hope everyone is having fun with your RV this summer! We have done a bit of traveling, including one "trip from Hell." We were in Brunswick/Jekyll Island GA when a tropical storm hit there and we were forced to leave. Got to my sister's farm in S. GA and parked in her driveway. Locked ourselves out of the moho with the motor running and the dog inside. Got ready to leave after a couple of days and the automatic levelers would not retract. A rock from a huge truck dinged the hell out of the windshield. Can I say, it felt good to get home?

Trip to Colorado was nice, but cut short by the wildfires. Such a tragedy.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow Sarah, Sounds like you covered some miles ! We brought our RV back north from South Carolina about a month ago and since then did a trip to Maine (Freeport) and another to Vermont (Brattleboro) Trying to decide where to go next... Thinking Fredricksburg VA would be fun, we went there a few years ago and it was a really nice place.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

My planned summer trip for this year was cut short due to a medical emergency at home. I had to cover the 1,600-mi leg home in the shortest amount of time. Driving in high wind conditions through Utah, Idaho, Montana, and Alberta really wore me down. The mod/add-on I made to improve the RV handling definitely helped, else I would not be able to do 600+mi in a day in what was called gale-force cross wind. Still, I am going to do one more thing, and am waiting for the ordered part to arrive.

Anyway, levelers that fail to retract are fairly common. Same with slides. My entry-level RV has neither. Has not caused me any real trouble yet (knock on wood).

PS. RV'ers locking themselves out is common. I shuddered when thinking about that happening in the boondocks, should I lose the keys while hiking. So, the first thing I did was to find a hiding place for a door key. Once I gain entry, I will have access to a set of spare keys hidden inside.

Have not needed that emergency key yet, but then I am a worry-wart.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #153

I have to say, locking ourselves out was a panic situation. Luckily, many motorhomes have the exact same keys/locks, and we have two roadside assistance companies. We also decided that having a single door for entry/exit is a definite DISADVANTAGE to owning a Class A. Those lucky Class C drivers have THREE doors!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Wow Sarah, Sounds like you covered some miles ! We brought our RV back north from South Carolina about a month ago and since then did a trip to Maine (Freeport) and another to Vermont (Brattleboro) Trying to decide where to go next... Thinking Fredricksburg VA would be fun, we went there a few years ago and it was a really nice place.
We are cooling our heels for a while, waiting till the fall for anymore long trips. We will do a few weekend jaunts to exercise the generator, but it's too dang hot for travel in the south. Wish we could get to Maine!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Wow! One key fits all MHs? Meaning you can walk around the campground until you see one of the same brand as yours, and ask to borrow their keys?

Anyway, in the worst case, when it comes to having to break a window to get in (I am still thinking about being locked out while in the wilderness), a big class A gives you more choices of ingress.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Still, I am going to do one more thing, and am waiting for the ordered part to arrive.
What, an oversized set of training wheels?

Driving an RV for an extended distance in strong crosswinds, especially if it has a relatively short wheelbase, is more than tiring - it's exhausting. Your trip home must have been quite an experience.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

What? Where can I buy those? Anything that helps. Links please!

Anyway, after I install that new gizmo I will post some photos.

And then drive test results, but a new trip may have to wait until later in fall.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Driving an RV for an extended distance in strong crosswinds, especially if it has a relatively short wheelbase, is more than tiring - it's exhausting. Your trip home must have been quite an experience.
When we relocated to the west coast, I wanted to drive across the country in an RV. Thought it would be fun! After experiencing some wicked cross winds from Wyoming to Nevada, I was glad DW vetoed the idea. Driving a relatively low profile car in those conditions was already tiring enough. Semi trucks and RVs were getting blown all over the road.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #159
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ok - since our last thread post we sold the Falcon, bought a one ton dually crew cab with a deisel engine, and a brand new truck camper. We call it the Panserbjorn: an armored bear. It just looks that way...

The Armored Bear by jglennhart, on Flickr

Oh yeah ... And DW retired *grin*
Old 07-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

All right!

I have been inside one camper truck like yours. People do not know how comfy they are.

In my last trip, at a stop, I saw a lady exiting out of a camper like that from the rear door..

I was afraid she might fall, because she was a little woman. I kept waiting to see her husband, or another companion coming out. Nope! She went to the front, got in and drove away. Wow! I was impressed. A solo traveler. My wife would never do that.