Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Get a Spot - http://www.findmespot.com/en/ and also 1st year extrication insurance will get you a chopper ride out. I have a first gen one, the "im ok" message was good but it was one way - outbound.
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting reading. I was thinking of you when I was in Ollantaytambo. A Mototaxi driver had a flat rear tire and he pulled down a side road, lifted the taxi onto two wheels by leaning it against a wall and proceeded to fix the tire.

I also saw some heavy duty 3 wheeled Lifans that had car like tires and a pickup bed in the back - looked very heavy duty. Maybe you can rent one of these as a tow / support vehicle.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Travelover, if there was a heavy-duty option, I'd be all over it!

Okay, we leave for Peru in about a month, so here's my update--a picture from my motorcycle training class and a link to the site where you can follow our progress or lack thereof, if you want.

We're heading down early to acclimatize in Cusco and to see Machu Picchu, plus get some driving lessons on the moto. Launch day is January 1st and it will presumably take us at least the two weeks allotted to make it to Piura. If we have wifi in the villages along our way, we'll update via Twitter, which will update the map on our website and also our Facebook page. Fancy, fancy.

I've done all the research I can, now it is just up to us to have the cojones to make it through the rally. The equipment is dangerously junky, the roads are mostly dirt/mud, and there is zero support or route guidance available. It's just us, the worst machine ever invented, and thousands of miles of one across the Peruvian Andes, jungles, and desert.

Team Website
Launching ourselves at South America on a sofa-bike on January 1, 2012.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4156.JPG (171.0 KB, 9 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

This picture is from Ollantaytambo - maybe the same guy who leaned the mototaxi.

Would it be OK if I took out a life insurance policy out on you with me as a beneficiary?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3147.jpg (620.8 KB, 3 views)
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I've done all the research I can, now it is just up to us to have the cojones to make it through the rally. The equipment is dangerously junky, the roads are mostly dirt/mud, and there is zero support or route guidance available. It's just us, the worst machine ever invented, and thousands of miles of one across the Peruvian Andes, jungles, and desert.
You forgot to mention the snakes, poisonous insects and tropical diseases. Also, the bridges get washed out. This is just a few things that come to mind. I'll stop by later tonight with a more complete list.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Good luck Sarah. You are definitely an adventure traveler, so this should be right up your alley.

Ha
Old 11-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Travelover, if there was a heavy-duty option, I'd be all over it!

Okay, we leave for Peru in about a month, so here's my update--a picture from my motorcycle training class and a link to the site where you can follow our progress or lack thereof, if you want.

We're heading down early to acclimatize in Cusco and to see Machu Picchu, plus get some driving lessons on the moto. Launch day is January 1st and it will presumably take us at least the two weeks allotted to make it to Piura. If we have wifi in the villages along our way, we'll update via Twitter, which will update the map on our website and also our Facebook page. Fancy, fancy.

Team Website
Launching ourselves at South America on a sofa-bike on January 1, 2012.
I think I read on your website that you had not booked your flight LIM-CUZ, if that is the case than the the two cheapest options are Peruvian airlines and Star Peru. The other airlines will all tack on an additional $176.00 fee for tourists.

Acclimatization- will not happen in Cuzco, go immediately upon arrival to the Sacred Valley for a few days and book your train to MP from Ollantaytambo.

When you get back, you should be ready for Cuzco!

Lima- Make sure your Hostal is within a few blocks of Park Kennedy (Miraflores) if you are staying more than one night, otherwise you will probably want to be near the airport (Callao not Lima).

If you are here for a few nights, you can stay at DW's Ocean View Penthouse (just tip the cleaning crew) depending on availability?

Regardless, I will buy your team coffee at Cafe Z (in Miraflores) on your arrival!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 031 (2) (Custom).JPG (48.1 KB, 6 views)
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

NYEx, thanks for the suggestions and hospitality!

We are flying into Lima on Xmas Eve, staying near the airport and taking the early flight (Star Peru was cheapest) to Cusco on Xmas Day for the next week. We're booked for train to Machu Picchu the next day, then a couple of rest days followed by mototaxi driving practice, a monster party on NYE, and launch day on Jan 1st.

Who knows where our path will take us on the way to Piura from Cusco, but we've built in a week at the other end to hopefully take a bus down to Lima from there and get to see some of the coast. Found some nice folks that we'll probably stay with again when we come back to Lima, called Peru Road Trip, who plan 4x4 trips around the country--even THEY think we are crazy, LOL.

But would love to meet you for that cup of coffee sometime the week of the 16th of January! We're also planning a trip to the HQ of Practical Action, the charity we're supporting, while in Lima sometime that week, and I'm really looking forward to that.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I must say the trip to Mongolia sound like a lot of fun, even before you left the country and looked even better after I saw the pictures. This mototaxi well lets say I'll reserve judgement till I see the pictures. I'm sure you'll have an adventure.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I am looking forward to following your adventure on the Web, in the comfort of my front porch motor home awning. If I were a bit younger, and my wife were more venturesome, this would be something I wouldn't mind trying out.

I hope the info will be on some Web sites that I have access to. I do not have a Facebook account, nor a Twitter account. Maybe I'll open one, just to be able to follow your trip.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #51

Quote:
NYEx, thanks for the suggestions and hospitality!

We are flying into Lima on Xmas Eve, staying near the airport and taking the early flight (Star Peru was cheapest) to Cusco on Xmas Day for the next week. We're booked for train to Machu Picchu the next day, then a couple of rest days followed by mototaxi driving practice, a monster party on NYE, and launch day on Jan 1st.

Who knows where our path will take us on the way to Piura from Cusco, but we've built in a week at the other end to hopefully take a bus down to Lima from there and get to see some of the coast. Found some nice folks that we'll probably stay with again when we come back to Lima, called Peru Road Trip, who plan 4x4 trips around the country--even THEY think we are crazy, LOL.

But would love to meet you for that cup of coffee sometime the week of the 16th of January! We're also planning a trip to the HQ of Practical Action, the charity we're supporting, while in Lima sometime that week, and I'm really looking forward to that.
The couple that own the place you are staying were recently featured on "House Hunters International" on HGTV. Unfortunately that episode will not be shown here till next season. I had a friend that stayed there a few months ago and liked it a lot. The only drawback I had was 1 bathroom (for all) and no closets in the bedrooms.

Returning to Lima look at either Cruz del sur or oltursa bus lines as they are the safest best. If you do not come to Lima then think about spending the week in Mancora. Good luck on your trip and pray it does not rain along the route you have planned.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
I am looking forward to following your adventure on the Web, in the comfort of my front porch motor home awning. If I were a bit younger, and my wife were more venturesome, this would be something I wouldn't mind trying out.

I hope the info will be on some Web sites that I have access to. I do not have a Facebook account, nor a Twitter account. Maybe I'll open one, just to be able to follow your trip.
Thanks! Yes, the best place to follow us is our team page at teamdixiechickens.com. Or just go to the official page for the Mototaxi Junket and you can follow all us fools at the same time! So no need to twitter or Facebook yourself!

Nyex they seem like nice folks and yes we are used to hostels with shared baths (just ask travelover) we really just hope that we find indoor places like garages or suchlike on the journey and will be thrilled if we find real beds, let alone running water! Ah, there is plenty of time to enjoy hot water, cold beer, and clean laundry...but for just a month, the adventure alone will suffice.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #53
Gone but not forgotten

I will also be following your adventures and I give you a lot of credit to have the moxie to do this .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

So for those of you keeping track, holy moly we are in Cusco! Thursday and Friday are test driving days, then launch on Sunday the first. I hope we live through this madness! Cusco is a beautiful city,though, and our trip here was epic. Going to Machu Picchu early in the morning. Looking forward to meeting our mototaxi!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thursday and Friday are test driving days, then launch on Sunday the first.
Hope you qualify fast enough to get a start on the front row!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #56
Administrator

When you go to Machu Picchu, make sure to walk out to the Inca Bridge. It may scare the bejeebers out of you, but it is well worth the effort.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #57

Amazing !! Bon voyage and vaya con dios !
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #58

Good luck and have an amazing time!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Thanks so much, y'all! Cusco is beautiful and Machu Picchu was absolutely amazing. We had an awesome day up there today. Peru is a wonderful country!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Are you really going to cover 250 miles per day with that "thing"? How are you going to find time to post on the Web, or even have access to the Internet?

Anyway, it looks like an adventurous trip! Fun, fun, fun...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote