Mototaxi Junket

NYEx, thanks for the suggestions and hospitality!

We are flying into Lima on Xmas Eve, staying near the airport and taking the early flight (Star Peru was cheapest) to Cusco on Xmas Day for the next week. We're booked for train to Machu Picchu the next day, then a couple of rest days followed by mototaxi driving practice, a monster party on NYE, and launch day on Jan 1st.

Who knows where our path will take us on the way to Piura from Cusco, but we've built in a week at the other end to hopefully take a bus down to Lima from there and get to see some of the coast. Found some nice folks that we'll probably stay with again when we come back to Lima, called Peru Road Trip, who plan 4x4 trips around the country--even THEY think we are crazy, LOL.

But would love to meet you for that cup of coffee sometime the week of the 16th of January! We're also planning a trip to the HQ of Practical Action, the charity we're supporting, while in Lima sometime that week, and I'm really looking forward to that.

The couple that own the place you are staying were recently featured on "House Hunters International" on HGTV. Unfortunately that episode will not be shown here till next season. I had a friend that stayed there a few months ago and liked it a lot. The only drawback I had was 1 bathroom (for all) and no closets in the bedrooms.

Returning to Lima look at either Cruz del sur or oltursa bus lines as they are the [-]safest[/-] best. If you do not come to Lima then think about spending the week in Mancora. Good luck on your trip and pray it does not rain along the route you have planned.

NW-Bound said:
I am looking forward to following your adventure on the Web, in the comfort of my [-]front porch[/-] motor home awning. If I were a bit younger, and my wife were more venturesome, this would be something I wouldn't mind trying out.

I hope the info will be on some Web sites that I have access to. I do not have a Facebook account, nor a Twitter account. Maybe I'll open one, just to be able to follow your trip.

Thanks! Yes, the best place to follow us is our team page at teamdixiechickens.com. Or just go to the official page for the Mototaxi Junket and you can follow all us fools at the same time! So no need to twitter or Facebook yourself! :)

Nyex they seem like nice folks and yes we are used to hostels with shared baths (just ask travelover) :) we really just hope that we find indoor places like garages or suchlike on the journey and will be thrilled if we find real beds, let alone running water! Ah, there is plenty of time to enjoy hot water, cold beer, and clean laundry...but for just a month, the adventure alone will suffice. :)

I will also be following your adventures and I give you a lot of credit to have the moxie to do this .

So for those of you keeping track, holy moly we are in Cusco! Thursday and Friday are test driving days, then launch on Sunday the first. I hope we live through this madness! Cusco is a beautiful city,though, and our trip here was epic. Going to Machu Picchu early in the morning. Looking forward to meeting our mototaxi!

When you go to Machu Picchu, make sure to walk out to the Inca Bridge. It may scare the bejeebers out of you, but it is well worth the effort.

Amazing !! Bon voyage and vaya con dios !

Thanks so much, y'all! Cusco is beautiful and Machu Picchu was absolutely amazing. We had an awesome day up there today. Peru is a wonderful country!

Are you really going to cover 250 miles per day with that "thing"? How are you going to find time to post on the Web, or even have access to the Internet?

Anyway, it looks like an adventurous trip! Fun, fun, fun...

I can't wait for the pictures! :dance:

Sounds like a fun adventure - look forward to hear the hiilights. Stay safe!

Sarah in SC said:
Thanks so much, y'all! Cusco is beautiful and Machu Picchu was absolutely amazing. We had an awesome day up there today. Peru is a wonderful country!

Don't forget to eat some anticuchos

Such a cute photo of the dixie chicken on your page, Sarah (oh, and the non-chickens too :)). I thought tuk tuk vehicles were scary, but the moto taxi takes the adventure cake! So exciting--be careful and go for the oro!

I am following the adventure and wishing you well & safe travels ! This is an trip you will never forget !

I am following your adventure via your team page . What a trip ! This could make a great movie !

We have made it to the finish line, 9 days, 1250 miles. Mountains 14500 feet, two different deserts, cities big and small, 8 police checkpoints, lots of new friends, sadness at the death of a fellow participant in a tragic accident, feeling blessed to be spending some downtime at Mancora Beach, near Piura. The trip of a lifetime.

image-595210503.png

Thanks to all for your interest and enthusiasm!

We have made it to the finish line, 9 days, 1250 miles. Mountains 14500 feet, two different deserts, cities big and small, 8 police checkpoints, lots of new friends, sadness at the death of a fellow participant in a tragic accident, feeling blessed to be spending some downtime at Mancora Beach, near Piura. The trip of a lifetime.

View attachment 13411

Congratulations ! I've really enjoyed following your adventure ! What a trip ! Just wondering what was the average age of the participants ?

View attachment 13411

Congratulations!!! What an adventure you had - and so, so happy you made it through safe and sound! :dance:

However, so, so sorry to hear about your fellow participant and the accident...wow. :(

There were 38 teams, most of them two person ones like us, but some threes and a few solos. There were 8 young men from Ireland, all mid-20s and mechanical engineers, who comprised several of the teams; one of them was the fellow who was killed in the accident. Of the other teams, there were only us and the group of Americans with whom we traveled who were over 35 or so, many were Brits or Aussies in their array 20s. A pair of hilarious Spaniards greatly enlivened our journey, as we kept running into them on the road-they were also about our age.
I am not sure how many teams will be able to finish, as many understandably lost their appetite for getting through the mountains after the accident. We took a longer, but paved route that included fewer big crossings.

Congrats. You are officially crazy in my book but it certainly was an adventure.

I have followed your teem website. What an adventure! Welcome back and glad you returned home safely.

Thanks so much! We are at Mancora Beach for a bit longer, then have to fly back to the states on the 21st. Have seen some amazing places and wonderful people here.

Back
Top Bottom