Join Early Retirement Today

Mototaxi Junket
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mototaxi Junket

Fuego mentioned my interest in this insanity in another thread so I thought it would be a cool time to show off what is possibly the most ridiculous idea for travel ever conceived:

Take a motorcycle rickshaw (aka the sofa-bike) and drive it from Paraguay through Bolivia and Peru, with just your moxie to get you there. Dangerous? Of course! But also surely the stuff of legends when you are too old to get off the porch (aka REW).

The Mototaxi Junket :: fighting to make the world less boring

I think it looks awesome and am working on getting a team together. Who's in?

Pictures from the launch party on New Year's Eve:
http://mototaxijunket.theadventurist...tegory&id=2483

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
But also surely the stuff of legends when you are too old to get off the porch (aka REW).
Hey!

I'll have you know I got off the porch twice yesterday. Might do it again today, too - if I get some more of this encouragement...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Porch.jpg (21.3 KB, 386 views)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fuego mentioned my interest in this insanity in another thread so I thought it would be a cool time to show off what is possibly the most ridiculous idea for travel ever conceived:

Take a motorcycle rickshaw (aka the sofa-bike) and drive it from Paraguay through Bolivia and Peru, with just your moxie to get you there. Dangerous? Of course! But also surely the stuff of legends when you are too old to get off the porch (aka REW).

The Mototaxi Junket
Oh, not me! But I hear NW is eager, as soon as he shakes out his motor home a little more.

But Sarah, in case this is not quite fast enough for you , I found a another for next year:
Old 01-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:

The Mototaxi Junket
If NWBound will lend me his "motohome"; I'm all in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motohome.jpg (68.8 KB, 6 views)
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Westernskies, I think we could put a lot more people in that hybrid Mototaxi!

Maybe we can get some of these RVers to come along as pit crew, like in the old days of the Airstream "voyages" across Africa.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I'd love to go but unfortunately I am already waiting for the great race to call me so I have to pass but I may make the send off party .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Hey, you people talkin' about me?

The Amazon basin? Wouldn't I need to mount some floats on the RV? Hmm... Lemme mull over that a bit.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bliss for some, less so for others.
No doubt.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... what is possibly the most ridiculous idea for travel ever conceived...
The most ridiculous? Have you read stories of people who traveled over longer distances on a moped? Yes, a moped with a 50cc 2-stroke engine, not a motorcycle. And solo, with no support.

When I was a kid, I read stories of people traveling over Europe in a go-cart. As a go cart was all I would be able to drive at that age (8-10?), I drooled over that adventurous mode of travel. Wonder if they would let anyone do that now.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I like your style, NW--this same outfit also puts on a Rickshaw Rally in India if that is more to your liking. More traffic but the rickshaws appear to be a bit more "car-like" than the open air mototaxi.

I also hear about people traveling across the Atlantic in a canoe and such-like, but those sorts of adventures tip the balance, as Fuego noted, from 99% fun and 1% I might die to less favorable odds. I think this one has comparatively less of a possibility that I won't get to use my retirement savings.

Ha, I loved your video but I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself missing a turn--how did he know when to start those turns anyway?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ha, I loved your video but I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself missing a turn--how did he know when to start those turns anyway?
I don't know. It is really a terrifying ride. This is one thing that definitely goes away with age- my desire to take lunatic risks.

Not your Mototaxi- that sounds fun and social, if perhaps occasionally uncomfortable. But travel is, isn't it? Unless you are Paul Allen. Which reminds me, as a traveler, is not Paul Allen a wimp compared to Onassis? Onassis- Maria Callas, Jackie ,...: Paul Allen - .......

Ha
Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I also hear about people traveling across the Atlantic in a canoe and such-like, but those sorts of adventures tip the balance, as Fuego noted, from 99% fun and 1% I might die to less favorable odds. I think this one has comparatively less of a possibility that I won't get to use my retirement savings.
I would offer to drive your support car (with seatbelts, a steering wheel, maybe even an airbag!) across S America, but I see from the rules that is prohibited.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm a wuss - just a little walk on man-made paths is more adventure than I need.

The Walk of Death: Camino del Rey • VideoSift: Online Video *Quality Control
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I'm a wuss - just a little walk on man-made paths is more adventure than I need.

That gave me sweaty palms and pits. Don't you love those huge gaps with only what looks like some 3"pipe.

My favorite comment:
  • When is this going to be made wheelchair accessible ??

Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess with all the financial problems Spain faces now they will not fix it any time soon. Or maybe they will want to use some EU money to lower unemployment and increase the tourism there. Who knows. The estimate for the repair work was 7 million Euros.
I'll walk there after they fix it
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post

This would be an awesome Call of Duty level. "Quick, get to the sluice gate and shut it before terrorists flood the villagers with toxic sludge. Oh yeah and bad guys are crawling all over and above taking shots at you".
Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

rewporch.jpg
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

LOL! Perfect, T-Al!
And I kept leaning over in the chair watching that video! I am positively terrified of heights!
The updates from the current Junketeers include lots of mechanical failures, millions of mosquitoes, and apparently a propensity for drinking lots of gin. Okay, making my list of things we need now!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I would offer to drive your support car (with seatbelts, a steering wheel, maybe even an airbag!) across S America, but I see from the rules that is prohibited.
Hmmmm... Looks like Fuego's out. Now, who else do we know that has enough toilet paper to outfit the entire trip?...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Remember how Audrey drove her diesel RV onto the towing truck?

Sarah would need her skill to navigate roads like the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
...who else do we know that has enough toilet paper to outfit the entire trip?...
Yeah, the expedition will need to bring lots of TP if the roads are like that.