Mototaxi Junket

Sarah in SC

Moderator Emeritus
Fuego mentioned my interest in this insanity in another thread so I thought it would be a cool time to show off what is possibly the most ridiculous idea for travel ever conceived:

Take a motorcycle rickshaw (aka the sofa-bike) and drive it from Paraguay through Bolivia and Peru, with just your moxie to get you there. Dangerous? Of course! But also surely the stuff of legends when you are too old to get off the porch (aka REW). :whistle:

The Mototaxi Junket :: fighting to make the world less boring

I think it looks awesome and am working on getting a team together. Who's in? :D:D

Pictures from the launch party on New Year's Eve:
http://mototaxijunket.theadventurists.com/index.php?mode=gallery&sub=view_category&id=2483

But also surely the stuff of legends when you are too old to get off the porch (aka REW). :whistle:
Hey!

I'll have you know I got off the porch twice yesterday. Might do it again today, too - if I get some more of this encouragement...

Attachments

• Porch.jpg
    Porch.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 386
Fuego mentioned my interest in this insanity in another thread so I thought it would be a cool time to show off what is possibly the most ridiculous idea for travel ever conceived:

Take a motorcycle rickshaw (aka the sofa-bike) and drive it from Paraguay through Bolivia and Peru, with just your moxie to get you there. Dangerous? Of course! But also surely the stuff of legends when you are too old to get off the porch (aka REW). :whistle:

I think it looks awesome and am working on getting a team together. Who's in? :D:D

The Mototaxi Junket
Oh, not me! But I hear NW is eager, as soon as he shakes out his motor home a little more.

But Sarah, in case this is not quite fast enough for you , I found a another for next year:LiveLeak.com - Road Skating

The Mototaxi Junket

If NWBound will lend me his "motohome"; I'm all in. :D

Attachments

• motohome.jpg
    motohome.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 6
Westernskies, I think we could put a lot more people in that hybrid Mototaxi!

Maybe we can get some of these RVers to come along as pit crew, like in the old days of the Airstream "voyages" across Africa.

I'd love to go but unfortunately I am already waiting for the great race to call me so I have to pass but I may make the send off party .

Hey, you people talkin' about me?

The Amazon basin? Wouldn't I need to mount some floats on the RV? Hmm... Lemme mull over that a bit.

... what is possibly the most ridiculous idea for travel ever conceived...
The most ridiculous? Have you read stories of people who traveled over longer distances on a moped? Yes, a moped with a 50cc 2-stroke engine, not a motorcycle. And solo, with no support.

When I was a kid, I read stories of people traveling over Europe in a go-cart. As a go cart was all I would be able to drive at that age (8-10?), I drooled over that adventurous mode of travel. Wonder if they would let anyone do that now.

I like your style, NW--this same outfit also puts on a Rickshaw Rally in India if that is more to your liking. More traffic but the rickshaws appear to be a bit more "car-like" than the open air mototaxi.

I also hear about people traveling across the Atlantic in a canoe and such-like, but those sorts of adventures tip the balance, as Fuego noted, from 99% fun and 1% I might die to less favorable odds. I think this one has comparatively less of a possibility that I won't get to use my retirement savings.

Ha, I loved your video but I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself missing a turn--how did he know when to start those turns anyway?

Ha, I loved your video but I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself missing a turn--how did he know when to start those turns anyway?
I don't know. It is really a terrifying ride. This is one thing that definitely goes away with age- my desire to take lunatic risks.

Not your Mototaxi- that sounds fun and social, if perhaps occasionally uncomfortable. But travel is, isn't it? Unless you are Paul Allen. Which reminds me, as a traveler, is not Paul Allen a wimp compared to Onassis? Onassis- Maria Callas, Jackie ,...: Paul Allen - .......

Ha

I also hear about people traveling across the Atlantic in a canoe and such-like, but those sorts of adventures tip the balance, as Fuego noted, from 99% fun and 1% I might die to less favorable odds. I think this one has comparatively less of a possibility that I won't get to use my retirement savings.

I would offer to drive your support car (with seatbelts, a steering wheel, maybe even an airbag!) across S America, but I see from the rules that is prohibited. :D

I guess with all the financial problems Spain faces now they will not fix it any time soon. Or maybe they will want to use some EU money to lower unemployment and increase the tourism there. Who knows. The estimate for the repair work was 7 million Euros.
I'll walk there after they fix it :D

LOL! Perfect, T-Al!
And I kept leaning over in the chair watching that video! I am positively terrified of heights!
The updates from the current Junketeers include lots of mechanical failures, millions of mosquitoes, and apparently a propensity for drinking lots of gin. Okay, making my list of things we need now!

I would offer to drive your support car (with seatbelts, a steering wheel, maybe even an airbag!) across S America, but I see from the rules that is prohibited. :D

Hmmmm... Looks like Fuego's out. Now, who else do we know that has enough toilet paper to outfit the entire trip?...:D

Yikes! I suspect that I will be sitting in the back of the Moto with my head buried in my jacket on all of the mountainous roads! I'm good on the salt flats though!

Wow, that is a bunch of work, Lance! I might have just strapped it the ladder instead!

An update from the Mototaxi Junketeers confirms that next year's run will be entirely in Peru, from Lake Titicaca to the Ecuadoran border. Nearly 1/2rds of the mototaxis were not permitted across the Bolivian/Peruvian border despite having what was the "right" paperwork.

Although I would have loved to see Paraguay and Bolivia, I think it is probably a good plan to have it all in one country, like the Rickshaw Rally they do in India.

We are six months away from launch of the 2012 Mototaxi Junket! I've got our vaccinations all lined up, we're studying Spanish diligently, and got our motorcycle permits. I just had to show off the cool logo that our friend Bobby designed for the team--we'll be printing it on t-shirts to give away to those who donate to the charity we are supporting, Practical Action.

Check it out! I think it is fantastic! :dance: And had to have an excuse to share!

Attachments

• Logo1.jpg
    Logo1.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom